PDA

View Full Version : 1/2" bit mount

cycollins
05-02-2007, 05:37 PM
This is an image of the mounting I did of a 3/8" double-fluted flat-headed straight router bit (1 1/4" depth, 1/2" shank). I believe this meets all the requirements for the 3/8" bit used for jointing, squaring and calibrating. Is it correctly placed within the adapter? The manual says there should 1/8" margin between the "bottom" of the cutting bit and the top of the adapter. It's not entirely clear what the "bottom" is in the case of a bit that is narrower than its shank, so I left 1/8" of shank showing. Is that too low on the bit? Should I choke it up to the point where the top of the adapter is 1/8" below the lowest extent of the double-flutes? Anyone know the righteous truth on this issue?

cycollins

pkunk
05-02-2007, 05:54 PM
I usually set mine so that there is 1/8-1/4" reveal out of the top of the adapter. I always worried that if too much was trying to stick up into the chuck, it'd give me trouble. With the 1/4" adapters, the chuck clearance is greater, so choking up on the shank would present no problems.

Dan-Woodman
05-03-2007, 06:57 PM
What I did was load the adapter in the quick chuck and then insert the bit and see how far it goes before it stops. This will tell you how much clearance you have before the bit keeps the quick chuck from locking on the adaptor.
Like Paul says ,probably 1/8 to 1/4 would be good.

Charles M
05-04-2007, 06:36 AM
I loaded a comparable Freud bit with 1/8" of the shank protruding through the non-working end of the collet and kept getting Z-Axis errors. Moved it to a position similar to what you show in your picture and the error went away. I don't know how much room there is inside the QC but it should be enough for what you have shown.

dominulus
08-07-2007, 09:45 AM
Once the adapter is positioned on the bit, and red locktite is applied to the threads of the adapter (and on the shank of the bit?) and tightened up, should I also locktite the Allen screws? Won't tightening them down onto the threads of the adapter hex nut damage the threads of the adapter?

Gman_Ind
08-07-2007, 10:24 AM
The 1/2" adapters I have use a collet for holding the bit not the allen head screws, The screws are used by the adapter to spin the adapter, put red loctite on them and leave them where they are snug. IMHO.

Andy C
08-07-2007, 10:46 AM
I was told this tool was for setting 1/2" bits. It's available from carvewright.

Andy

BobHill
08-07-2007, 11:39 AM
Dom,

Are you sure you want to use RED Lok Tite? That's pretty permanent, while Blue, if you apply heat makes the threads so you can undo them.

Bob

Gman_Ind
08-07-2007, 02:04 PM
Blue (242 and 222) (http://www.loctite.com/int_henkel/loctite_us/index.cfm?&pageid=19&layout=3) is supposes to be removable without heat with hand tools, Red (262) (http://www.loctite.com/int_henkel/loctite_us/index.cfm?&pageid=19&layout=3) is removable with 450 degrees heat, heck you can use superglue as well it releases with 700 degree's. Just a quick heat with a propane torch.
click the hyperlinks to goto the locktite web site for confirmation.

dominulus
08-07-2007, 02:53 PM
I figured that I'd rather go with the tighter red bond and risk the loss of a $3.5 adapter, rather than sink it into a lower-temperature blue bond and risk who knows what. Those bits get hot, no?

The bit adjustment tool came in handy when tightening the collet -- once I discovered that the wrench SLIDES OUT of the handle. Duh.

A short instruction sheet for the tool would be a big help for primitive beings like me.

BobHill
08-07-2007, 03:06 PM
All the original bits came with Blue LocTite and if you didn't use heat to remove them, you'd quickly damage the head to the "metal screw". I've not seen any message saying that a blue bonded screw came lose due to the heat of the bit after long working hours, or for that matter, that any were noticed loose after a time, if tightened properly prior to using blue loctite. I'd not recommend using the red and particularly then using a propane torch on it later, if needed, but it's a "caveat et emptor" world. One should do what their personal conscience tells them. I'll personally stick to the blue.

Bob

Gman_Ind
08-08-2007, 08:02 AM
I have lost a screw from the bit adapter, it is MIA. I also have had a carving bit get loose and ruin a project. I like the screws that RC puts in his adapters, I can use more wrist on these without fear of breaking the screw. I wore out an adapter when I had a sticky chuck so I had a spare screw, and I also bought the sears adapters so I have a backup or two on hand, us country folk learn to have extras on hand so we don't have to run out to the store when something breaks. ;)

castingman
08-08-2007, 08:13 AM
I have put the 1/2 roundover bit in twice, both times it spit it out as soon as it hits the wood. When i put the bit in the chuck it seems tight, anybody have any ideas? Thanks Michael

BobHill
08-08-2007, 08:35 AM
When you first put the bit into the holder and prior to tightening the screw, does the bit wobble at all? If so, then that holder must be oversized for some reason. The bit should be easy to put in, but relatively tight against wobble (not slipping) all by itself. Also, of course, the screw need to have Loctite applied. (for me, that would be blue Loctite)

Bob

Kenm810
08-08-2007, 08:43 AM
Same here, there's no flat on the 1/2" shank,
So having a few extra 1/2" bit adapters I used Blue Lok-tite and it held.
If it comes loose again I'll try the Red Lok-tite. Once I mount a Bit in the adapror,
and I'm sure it's cutting properly the only time I would remove it is if it was dull or I damaged it in anyway.

castingman
08-08-2007, 09:56 AM
Bob/ Ken I guess i should have explained a little further, The bit and adapter come out together. The bit is almost flush with the adapter, the bit seems tight in the adapter, the adapter seems locked in the chuck { i cant pull it out by hand } I hope a little more info helps. Thanks Michael

BobHill
08-08-2007, 10:20 AM
Aha, you mean the bit adapter is coming out of the chuck? If so, then you aren't getting it locked in (no snap) and probably you need to lube the chuck so the release works easily. It's an easy thing for this to get clogged with sawdust, so you need to lube on a regular schedule (like every time you remove the bit take a swipe of the adapter with a lubed cloth (don't spray). See if that doesn't fix things.

Bob

Kenm810
08-08-2007, 10:55 AM
See if these help a little
Showing the Chuck locked and unlocked

castingman
08-08-2007, 11:21 AM
Bob /Ken I got the machine back from Tx last week and it came with a new chuck that works better than the old one. The roundover bit was the first one i used, all the other ones stay in no problem. I closed the foundry early today { 90 deg to hot , had enough } will try that when i get home , I will let you guys know tonight. Thanks again Michael

Gman_Ind
08-08-2007, 11:27 AM
Just a thought but how far out the back does the bit stick out? if it is not allowing the quick change adapter to go into the spindle far enought it might cause it to not lock. I never had this happen and can't see what is going on there so that is only my guess. Good luck and report back your findings.

castingman
08-08-2007, 11:40 AM
Mike G The bit is almost flush with the adapter where it inserts into the chuck. It feels like its locked in because i cant pull it out, i never did hear any snaping sound or feel it lock in the new one or the old one. Thanks Michael

Gman_Ind
08-08-2007, 11:54 AM
Sorry that was of no help. :(
I had the chuck adapter fly out twice on my machine it is no fun, Mine was clogged with sawdust I now on occasion remove the bit adapter and pull up on the spring loaded collet and let it snap down a couple of times. I am amazed at how much dust comes pouring out when I do that. I now only use finger force to change the adapter and I was using the adapter tool upside down to pull down on the adapter to see if it came out, it probably also helped seat the adapter.
I used a Dow dry film lube inside the adapter and it is now reliable and like I said only needs fingers to change out now.

castingman
08-08-2007, 12:09 PM
Mike G Thats ok, you guys have all given me things to try, I will look into all of them when i get home, mabe after i jump in the pool for a little bit to give me a fresh out look , and befor a cool beverage! Thanks Michael

Dan-Woodman
08-08-2007, 04:46 PM
The 1/2" bits are limited on there length they can go in the chuck.
Try a small length of 1/2" rod in the adapter loose and put it in the chuck to see how far it goes in and mark it for length and then compare it to the length of your bit in that chuck. You may just have you bit too far up in the adapter.
later Daniel

Gman_Ind
08-08-2007, 05:43 PM
The 1/2" bits are limited on there length they can go in the chuck.
Try a small length of 1/2" rod in the adapter loose and put it in the chuck to see how far it goes in and mark it for length and then compare it to the length of your bit in that chuck. You may just have you bit too far up in the adapter.
later Daniel

I asked the same thing Dan

Mike G The bit is almost flush with the adapter where it inserts into the chuck.

Michael, a fresh outlook is always good.:) good idea I should hop in the lake for a quick swim. the commute back from the city was nice but it gets real hot sitting at traffic lights on asphalt, there is no AC on my Aspencade.

castingman
08-08-2007, 08:30 PM
Mike G Just got out of the pool, the wife came home early as well. Soooooo i spent some time hearing about all the things i could make for her store. tomorow is another day. I will try again . Thanks for all the help. Michael