PDA

View Full Version : New Kid

Signmaker
05-02-2007, 05:11 PM
Hi everybody!

I'm the new kid on the block. I make raised letter magnetic signs (since 1968). Everything I use has to be raised with a beveled edge so it does not lock in the sign after vacuum forming (lasers don't give a beveled edge). We paint the letters with a roller. We back paint the logos (brush or airbrush) then roll over with black.

All our letters/logos were cut by hand then duplicates cast from the molds by another company (back in the '70s).

I've been looking for a machine like this FOREVER! This answers my prayers (and I'm an atheist!).

On special logos I have to blow up the (business card) image on a copier then tape it to a 1/8 inch thick rubber sheet, poke the edges with a exacto knife, take paper off, then hand cut.... what a pain! Not as easy as it looks. Plus a few painful finger jabs with the knife.

Oh! BTW, we do not use a computer at all in making the signs.

So, I've had my CompuCarve exactly 24 hours. I'm having a problem getting the image to show up on the "wood" in the software. Is there a tutorial on getting going the first time? In reading the posts I see that you guys have past that point some time ago.

I have to comment on DeSign and many others... GREAT JOB! They look terrific!

I havn't needed a fancy image program up to now. What should I have...? Photoshop, etc.? What do you recommend?

I have two custom logos to do right now and more comming.

Can someone help me get off 1st. base? Much appreciated!

Leo Duchaine
www.statestreetmarketing.com

Signmaker
05-02-2007, 10:10 PM
The lighthouse is a simple custom logo. I just freehanded it. Can I glue the rubber to wood and cut it through, down to the wood surface? Then I can glue the logo to cloth if it has loose parts. The roof lines are just two strips of rubber.

Stopped by Lowe's and got 1/4x6x2 and 1x6x2 Poplar. What woods are best for carving.

Thanks,
Signmaker

Sarge
05-02-2007, 10:53 PM
This may suit your fancy for the first one. It's not EXACT but close.

pamjmayo
05-02-2007, 11:52 PM
Hi Sarge, I always check to see how others do their fonts since that seems to be one of my weak points. Did you do that on another program and then import it? I noticed it said BC and no text info. By the way, today I finally carved the picture of Nic you sent me and it is stunning! Since I want to do lithographs, if you can tell me what you did to make such a dramatic difference, I'd sure appreciate it. Otherwise, you'll have to remain my "picture slave" (HA)

Calamity Pam

Signmaker
05-03-2007, 01:38 AM
Opps, I thought the video on this website was the same intro video on the Sears website. Not so! So I'm downloading the CarveWright video right now... 71% completed. Can't wait to see it.

If you havn't seen it you should ck it out.

Signmaker

Signmaker
05-03-2007, 02:00 AM
This may suit your fancy for the first one. It's not EXACT but close.

Hi Sarge,

We are not going to carve the finished sign, HOWEVER, we could if we were to run a large quantity and then not have to worry about loose letters. We glue the letters with Elmer's "School Glue" because they can be removed and our setup frame can be washed with water.

I'm really interested in making up (carving) new fonts which I will reproduce with Smooth-On Reoflex 60 Dry. If you want to reproduce anything goto www.smooth-on.com casting materials (the one I use withstands heat and vacuum forming).

Signmaker

forqnc
05-04-2007, 01:26 PM
Signmaker, if your still having troubles check your Carvewright folder on your computer. There are 3 Shockwave tutorials, on my computer the path is

C:\Program Files\CarveWright\docs\tutorials

Signmaker
05-04-2007, 01:32 PM
Signmaker, if your still having troubles check your Carvewright folder on your computer. There are 3 Shockwave tutorials, on my computer the path is

C:\Program Files\CarveWright\docs\tutorials

Darn!

Didn't know they were there!

Thanks,
Signmaker

forqnc
05-04-2007, 01:50 PM
Neither did I until I was bored at work and started looking through it. :rolleyes: :D

Sarge
05-04-2007, 05:56 PM
I forgot about them. You can also find the software tutorial by opening Designer, go to Help, then Help Contents and this opens the software manual. Then go to Software Tutorials.