PDA

View Full Version : Still another bit question!

ljdm
05-02-2007, 11:31 AM
Anybody use a v-bit for carving text instead of the 1/16 carving bit? Designer doesn't give the option, wondering what would happen if I did that?

oldjoe
05-02-2007, 11:47 AM
Thats a good question because I just recieved my machine a while back did some carving of some pics. but was going to make a sign for someone and when I loaded the board and booted up the Carver it asked me if I was going to use a .25 bullnose bit then I scrolled down to where I found the 1/16" carving and selected that. I was wondering what will happen if I did do the sign with a different bit. I never check to see what was in the software I know they list different bits. The sign turned out okay.

rjustice
05-02-2007, 12:17 PM
Guys,

Just consider that if you are using a bit that is bigger than what you called out in designer, it is going to take away more material than what the rendered picture gives you in designer. Your detail is going to be less "crisp" in the deepest parts of the cut, and higest parts of the cuts could be removed due to overlapping of the tool (due to the larger diameter)

In the case of using the "V" bit instead of a 1/16 carving bit, the tool is getting much bigger in diameter, the deeper you go. Now if you are just engraving shallow text you probably wont know much difference but the deeper it goes the wider it will be in the wood... it will just give you a little different effect than what you see in designer.

hope this makes sense..

Ron

pkunk
05-02-2007, 02:00 PM
That's a good explaination, but to carry it further- the v bits are for centerline & outline text where they follow the centerline of the letter.(like a pencil would)