PDA

View Full Version : Comments and praise

Mike N
01-19-2007, 09:17 PM
Is there a chance that CW could start a newforum just for Probe questions.

Mike

cmorlier
02-02-2007, 10:37 AM
I like idea of the Probe section. We will be making some changes to the forum in the near future, and I will try to get that in.

mtylerfl
02-16-2007, 02:28 PM
Hello Chris,

Any progress yet on establishing a Forum Section for the Probe topics?

cmorlier
02-16-2007, 04:27 PM
Yes, we will be bringing a new forum online next week, and the probe section will be part of it.

swhitney
02-16-2007, 10:37 PM
Yes, we will be bringing a new forum online next week, and the probe section will be part of it.

I am sure you have done this already, but in the odd chance you haven't... check out Jon Jantz's forum at www.allcw.com and the mechanism for signing up as a new member... might be the ticket to prevent the spambot crud that has happened in the past. yes a tad inconveinient, but well worth it I think.

BTW... I love my machine and it works great right out of the box!!!

P.S. Bard needs a raise too!

Ron Baird
03-03-2007, 09:23 PM
It would be nice to hear from the owners that are having no problems. It might help to calm the nerves of the people with problems to show them that the machines can work well. STAND UP AND BE COUNTED!!!

rjp736
03-03-2007, 09:28 PM
I have had my machine since Jan and made over 20 projects (around 40 hrs). NOT one problem or glitch to report. I do keep my fingers crossed after hearing of the others who had problems, but I am very happy with my machine !!

Router-Jim
03-03-2007, 09:37 PM
Hi, I'm a new CompuCarve owner.

I picked up my machine last Saturday. Before I even unpacked the machine I read the manual. After reading some of the posts, I decided to really learn about the machine before I turned it on.

I found the software updating to be rather confusing and time consuming, but thanks to fellow forum member Mark Marzluf, I made it through that stage.

I am happy to report that my CompuCarve worked right out of the box and so far with 5 carvings under my belt it is still working flawlessly. I am very happy with my purchase.

Jim :cool:

Kenm810
03-03-2007, 11:06 PM
I had been following this forum and down loaded the manual, I went through it page by page before my machine came. My CC worked out of the box, and except occasional dust build up on the sensors. It’s been carving since the second week in January 07.
I am very pleased with my machine.

Cueman
03-04-2007, 09:08 AM
I bought my CC last week, and have 3 projects accomplished. I noticed on very hard woods such as paduke (from the heart of the tree) the image chipped out a bit here and there, but otherwise, no problems to report. I had a few "pilot error" mistakes that I made, such as inputting the wrong thickness of the board- which caused a Z-axis failure, but once I adjusted that, it worked just fine. So it pays to be accurate!

I also noticed that it really matters on the types of images you use to carve.
It would be nice if you could use just any picture, but if you have Photoshop or Coreldraw, you can make vector images from regular photos. I used a regular photo on my first project, and the results were fairly poor.

I would like to be able to make desk signs for people - with thier picture and names on them - Still working on that.

Thanks,
Chuck

Sarge
03-06-2007, 10:24 PM
I ordered my machine in December 2006. Somehow, "THEY" (the infommercial people) lost my order. Several calls to fix the problem and three weeks waiting. While waiting, read the manual (downloaded it) and read the forum. Had to wait for the temperature here to hit 60 degrees (two weeks). Got my machine out of the box, set it up and it ran like a dream!!!! If I had the time and space, I'd order two more. Great thing for us "hobbyists/amateurs".:D

Skyhawk
03-07-2007, 07:17 AM
Sarge, I had a very similar experience with the infomercial group...A few days after the delivery date, I called and they lost my order too! I complained a bit (to no avail) and ordered a second one, assured that the first would not arrive.

My machine arrived two weeks later and I had a few minor issues...nothing too serious. 3 weeks later a second unit arrived on my doorstep! I guess they finally found theh order and shipped it...

So you just may get that second unit after all!!!

Ron Baird
03-07-2007, 10:05 AM
It is nice to hear from those with no problems it will give hope to those having trouble, Keep them coming!!!
As for picture importing you will learn with practise to make them better, some pictures are just no good. Some times all you have to do is invert the pattern, some times you can invert the pattern when making it then invert it again on the board to improve it.

FINGERS
03-07-2007, 12:43 PM
Got My Machaine the compucarve in the middel of January and set it up on a portabel mider saw work platform got a good deal at menards (toy store for big boy's) so far no big probles small stuff like lose screws and ripping sandpaper, lubed the felx cable with the moly lub after 20 hr. ran the machine maybe 10 or 15 hr. total and the shaft got hot, like my ar-15 barrel after a 30 round berst and made some scarey sounds like a barring going out from the chuck so I lubed the cable over night in moly lub gave it a good bath and wd-40 the chuck all is runing good, I'ave been carving soft wood pine, basswood,cheep stuff just to get the hang of it now I like to try some plastic carving this is where I need some help I can't find any detaled info on how to get started just bit and peices from forum littel help not much some say use acrylic and others polycarbonate is one softer then the other I tryed a pec. of acrylic and the bit got cloged up with hard plastic ran a 1hr. job and at 25% stopped to clean bit and so on til it was done to me the job liked good ran the job at normel you can see the path cut lines in it maybe I should have used best don't know, ok so I gave you some history and now where I'm going, anybody have some input on carving plastic, Do appreciate some help.

jspringertx
03-10-2007, 10:21 PM
It would be nice to hear from the owners that are having no problems. It might help to calm the nerves of the people with problems to show them that the machines can work well. STAND UP AND BE COUNTED!!!

I have done a number of projects with my Compucarve and I am very happy with the results. Thanks to the efforts of the great people at CarveWright my unit is performing better than I anticipated.

CallNeg151
03-10-2007, 10:39 PM

I read the forum for months before signing up and actually buying a machine. I have had my CompuCarve machine for about a month. Since I'm a hobbyist, I've only put about 20 hours on the machine so far, but I have had no real problems (my quick-release chuck is a bit sticky, but I have a pretty painless work-around that I'm happy to live with). Bits are still in good shape, sandpaper belts are OK. Sensors work properly. Projects have carved with no glitches, no stalls, weird error codes, etc. A few stupid user errors, but nothing too bad.

Every now and again Designer crashes on me, but as long as I save frequently, I don't worry about it. I'm very happy about my purchase, and will probably order the probe in a month or two.

insp_gadget
03-14-2007, 09:15 PM
It is about time some happy owners got their 2 cents worth in. I was one of the other people.(error problems-could not get it back running) Returned it and have been waiting for next one about two weeks. Getting the first one in less than 10 days doesn't sound like the norm. I am very excited about getting next one. When it was running it was awesome. All of you have made me feel much better. I have most of the other basic woodworking tools. Other extras like large shop vac, new air compressor should help keeping it clean. I have made quite a few projects with software and have downloaded many more from all the generous folks on this forum. I will upload all of mine that work out for me. Hopefully I will get my machine by next Tuesday.(Promised date)

Ready to continue carving, Steve

rjp736
03-14-2007, 09:25 PM
Got my machine, ran about 20 projects with no problems. I have had my share of them over the past week but CW does an awesome job of helping you get back up and running. I'm down right now as I await a sensor to arrive, but all in all.......wouldn't trade it for nothing. I'm hooked big time and will ride out the growing pains of this fantastic machine.

ChipperBob
03-22-2007, 09:48 AM
Great to hear that so many owners have had positive results. My machine on the other hand has been a disaster. After a long wait (reordered once) I got to run my CarveWright for less that five hours before I had to send it back to correct a homing problem that was caused when a factory worker in China failed to locitite some screws on the Z truck. The machine was returned 31 days later. My first attempt to operate this engineering marvel resulted in errors to numerous to mention here. The consequence from this factory repair (calibration?) is a machine that will only measure a board, with questionable results, and fails EVERY keyboard function with multible errors. How could they return a machine in this condition? I am still awaiting some response from CarveWright.

GFewell
03-29-2007, 03:38 PM
How do I get around a "Z" Axis Stall, Error 246, Press Stop error. This is the only response that I get from the machine. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Dragon
04-07-2007, 08:50 AM
I ordered a CC and it was delivered to a local sears in less than a week. It's been in my hands for a week now and I've been too busy to get into it. [i wanted to wait until i could spend a few hours on it rather than dribs and drabs]

... but that time is THIS weekend.

dreisig
04-13-2007, 06:52 PM
My second machine arrived at Sears today, and I went and picked it up. (returned first on - Z axis stall out of the box - had over 2 hours on it) Set this one up and put in a piece of scrap I had to make sure it was OK. Plunked down the Fleur di Lis 01 from the provided library, and away it went! This thing is WAY better than I expected! Now I have to design my own project, and realy try it out. I'll post some pics when I have something worth showing.

David
05-01-2007, 11:15 AM
Got my machine 3 weeks ago. Run a couple of small projects each day
(they take 20 to 30 minutes each). Now for last 2 days I am making 8 cabinet doors (14"wide by 28"tall) they take from 2 to 3 hours each, am on my 4th door and still no problems. My machine works just fine and is doing what I ask of it. My only complaint (still) is the lousy dust collection. I know, I know, make a collection box and set the machine on it. I think they should put the built in port where it will work! If they like, I'll design a replacement back peice that will do it for them.

forqnc
05-09-2007, 05:27 PM
OK this starts of sad, my Baby is going on vacation to Texas. :( I've been having the CCM problem, then Saturday my Flex shaft melted. Talked to The Bard and he mentioned that since it overheated it may have problems in the Z axis bearings. I was just going to buy a new flex shaft ($19.00) but he convinced me to send it in to get checked out.
This is not whining from me, it is praise for there awesome tech support. I need to get away from her for a while to catch up on other projects I have been putting off. Hopefully I be up and running soon.

benluz
05-16-2007, 08:42 PM
I have had as many problems as anybody, but I fixed the machine myself ...even the ones carvewright didn't want me to. But full size machines are the same way.You have to learn how they work and be able to trouble shoot them yourself or you won't enjoy them....or at least that's the way I am.A complete repair /trouble shooting manual would be great.I think it's a great machine and can't wait for more advanced software, we have only scratched the surface of what this machine can do. Keep up the good work LHR we wish you much success !

edp
05-17-2007, 02:06 PM
Recieved my cc in early March of 07. Have been using it off and on approximately 18 hours a week ever since. Zero problems that I didn't create on my own. Obviously this is never going to be a high production machine but I do believe that I am pushing the intended boundaries and I am a lover of the cc.

pastime106
05-17-2007, 05:17 PM
Every large machine I own eventually gets taken apart or is worked on in some shape or fashion. I had purchased a metal lathe several years ago and quickly realized that the materials that the machine were made out of were a higher quality then workers that put them together. I took it apart and put it back together, every nut,bolt, and gear. (Also did the same with a made in china milling machine) Both of them still runs great to this date.
I think I may do the same for the carvewright one day after the 200 hrs or 1 year mark.
A trouble shooting manual would be great addition to the shelf in my shop as well as reducing the time techs would have to spend on the phone with us. (BTW -they are great at what they do!)

I was greatful that the company is willing to send me the parts when needed and not forcing me to cart the whole thing up and send back. Much easier!

pastime106
05-17-2007, 08:05 PM
Welcome to the board, glad to hear that you have had great sucess with your machine. I think for the most part we are all pretty much doing well with a product that is this new. This is my very first problem with the machine, and the support was so fantastic that I almost wish something broke sooner :rolleyes:
The support makes you feel safe in unsing the machine and knowing you are covered.

pastime

fstrumpf
05-21-2007, 10:45 AM
Just want to comment on CW Service.

My trial designer license ran out, and I am a week or two from having my own machine.

They gave me another 30 days without batting an eye.

I work with many 3rd party venders and they never would do that for me.

Thanks, from one service department to another, you guys are pretty good.

Regards

Fred

pastime106
05-22-2007, 06:44 AM
I mailed my Z-axis off on Friday, and on Monday, YES, Monday,I arrived home to find a new one had arrived! I had expected to be down for a couple of weeks waiting on the part. I can't wait to get home and get my machine back together. That was creepy fast on the shipping. Wonder if they knew I had a problem before I actually called to tell them :rolleyes: LOL

Gman_Ind
05-22-2007, 09:38 AM
I like many had my share of issues with this machine. I have my second one in Texas right now getting (hopefully) repaired better than new.
That being said I can't elaborate enough how great the CW team is at helping resolve the issues I have and the honest real people I have spoken with.
This is a breakthrough machine and they are doing their all to make their product and their customers a success. In case you missed that point, they are here for us, they sponsor this forum so we can form a community of users to support each other and they will make our machines right at seemingly any cost to them. They are great for sending parts (fast) for on site user repairs or they pay for shipping to and from their repair facility.

bladesmith
05-22-2007, 09:47 AM
Just a note regarding the Carvewright / Compucarve machine:

I got my machine in late February of 2007, have put over 54 hours of actual carving time, along with more hours of probing, jointing etc, and have finally
had my first actual problem ... board sensor reading of 0-1. after a little time on
the phone with support, a replacement is on the way. Great service, and a very
nice product. My only other issue not related to ME and what I did, has been the "Sticky chuck" problem, and as I was on the phone with support anyway, they are also sending out a replacement QC as well.

Sure, there have been some delays in getting accessories I ordered due to
supply issues, but They have all arrived (some sooner than others) and the
machine has done some very good work. I did find that running the offset calibration made a real difference in the quality of the carvings, especially the
smoothness of the areas that should be smooth.

On the whole, I have to say I am a very happy user. and would be happier still if I could spend even more time using the machine!!

Cheers,

Bladesmith

beachman
06-01-2007, 11:42 AM
I have over 80 hours carving time on my machine with no real problems,1 torn paper belt,but that will happen,and one rpm sensor.All the rest of the errors that have occured have been due to sawdust.This machine is a great invention,and the support team that come with it are second to none,so i'm sure that if and when i do have a problem,they will make short work of it.CC and CW are #1.

pastime106
06-01-2007, 06:15 PM
I am a fan of the support team. They seem to actually listen to you and when you tell them what you think the issue is, they actually believe you. I have had one real problem and it was taken care of so fast it did not even interupt my schedule. The rest were so minor it is not even an issue. I think the rest of the business world could learn from them. Most of us bought this machine realizing that there would be some issues that we would need to address but because of the support we bought them anyway. Hope they contine on this path. As I would buy from them again in a split second.
Tom

eagle1
06-01-2007, 11:13 PM
My CW machine has made the trip to it's homeland with problems, came back very quickly off R&R with a whole new outlook on performance, service and productivity. Have had ZERO problems with her until the other day and the chuck started giving me a fit turning loose the bits... called Tech support, told them the problem, they checked their records and said a new one would be sent out. 2 days later it was in my mailbox... a lot of company's need to take notice of this service.. I call this WORLD CLASS SERVICE at it's finest. I am trying to sell some of these machines to my friends and business associates. No, I am not getting anything for it, just trying to help the folks at Carvewright.. The Owners, Engineers, Support Team, Software, Sales and even the guys and gals that clean the factory, all earned it as far as I am concerned. It's the people that make it GOOD.

Just wanted to put in my dimes worth of info

Dean

fstrumpf
06-04-2007, 09:59 AM
I am hemming and hawing over which machine to purchase.

I seems apparent that the improvements made recently are positive. However, if I purchase a machine from Sears will I get the new and improved version or will it potentially have the previous problems?

Cost and delivery are of course a concern.

So my question is, what should I look for, ask, etc, prior to a sears purchase?

Also, the incentives to buy multiple machines from sears seems a bit strange. Are they purhaps trying to dump their inverntory?

Any info would be appreciated.

Regards

Fred

rjustice
06-04-2007, 10:15 AM
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but they would be exactly the same machine now. Sears has been sold out on and off for the last 2 or 3 months, so I dont think they have stale inventory. It took almost a month to get mine. The other thing to consider is the satifaction guarantee... no questions asked policy of sears. IMHO i wouldnt hesitate to buy from sears.

Ron

b.sumner47
06-04-2007, 10:50 AM
After a few repairs that I could make myself with the help of some of the nicest people you hope would be there for you,I'm sending her in for a repair that I can't do.approx.70 hours.not bad! Be calm my heart,I'll miss you while your away.Semper Fi.

Kenm810
06-04-2007, 05:43 PM
I’m happy to say, not all the posts here have to do with Dust, Smoke, and Mirrors. Thanks in part to all of the helpful people on this forum. And to their input on products, info and tricks of the trade that have sure made it easier and safer to enjoy working with our CW or CC Machines, and Please don’t forget all the Great people and help from CarveWright. :)

b.sumner47
06-18-2007, 12:53 PM
I was taking a nap in my wheelchair,when I woke up there she was on the porch,ever so quite and waiting.must have been the cc gods.back to making some more chips.GREAT,service from Texas,long time for DHL 1wk there,3 days
for repair,1wk back.Thanks,Barry

insp_gadget
06-21-2007, 07:56 PM
On my 3rd machine and running fine. As I said in an earlier post I believe my 1st machine was just software problems,good machine. My 2nd was running fine until Z-truck broke clean in two.(Poor casting) I'm turning into a designing fool,or maybe just a fool. I've taken some advice and am trying PhotoImpact 12. I have not had the time yet to really mess with it. I will upload some pictures in a few days of my fireplace surround I designed and built from scratch. My digital camera doesn't work so good with flash, I will borrow sons' camera. Has anyone tried the new "store" on CW site? I ordered new carving bit and holder combo and 4 more holders(1/4 and 1/2 inch). They arrived at my door 3 days later! The carving bit didn't wear out as most of you know but it sure can't take those 2 foot drops to the cement floor! heh-heh. Very,very, Happy with machine.
Steve

john e kline
06-27-2007, 07:19 PM
Received my Sears machine 6 weeks ago. I am happy to impressed. The only difficulty I had is not reading the manual close enough. Made several carvings a few in polycarbonate and all is well. Friends are impressed and family is angry (they say I am spending too much time in the shop). JOHN

Hexe SA
07-09-2007, 12:39 PM
I received my first one in March, dropped it off at Sears for repair, after I figured out from talking to CW and looking at the forum that I can't fix it. It wasn't the machine, more misunderstanding between CW for a close cover problem resulting into removal of a ribbon cable, disabling the scanning probe option. Sears won't just replace it. Older than 90 days but still under warrenty so they wanted a shot at it but it can't be fixed by them. I'm going thru withdraws. 3 weeks without and the replacement won't come in until Thursday. If you got one you're hooked. Best thing I've gotten since my motorcycle and boat.
Eva

RGHubbard
07-21-2007, 09:14 PM
We (my brother and I) can't say "no problems," but I can say less than 20 minutes on the phone, and the machine worked GREAT (Craftsman label). I gave it a photo, a really intricate BW project, and some detailed fonts to chew on, and it performed really well with all of it.

I do think I'll be actually designing my projects in Photoshop or Corel, rather than the Designer program, and then importing them - but that's just personal preference.

I'm looking forward to a lot of time with this machine; just from showing people the test piece today, we've picked up a lot of requests.

Thanks for an excellent product.

Digitalwoodshop
07-21-2007, 09:32 PM
Eva,

That's why I got a second one... I am trying to make some money with my machine so down time cost me money....

AL

qxz798
07-23-2007, 04:27 PM
Hi fellows -
I am a complete newbie and novice! And apparently a kind of dumb one, too! I can't find the serial number on my Craftsman version of this machine in order to register the software. Any help, please?

Thanks.........Ann

Kenm810
07-23-2007, 04:57 PM
qxz798, Welcome to the forum

serial number might be under the tray on the front look under the lift up tray

To Locate the Serail Number with the machine ,

use the Options shortcut key on
the keypad to access the information.

pkunk
07-23-2007, 05:07 PM
turn the machine on w/ card inserted in slot, press options and scroll to serial #.:)

qxz798
07-23-2007, 05:18 PM
Thank you, Gentlemen! I greatly appreciate your help. I am sure I'll be back to ask more stupid questions!!! ;)

Hope you have a great afternoon.

Thanks again..........Ann

jspringertx
08-03-2007, 10:14 AM
I have had my machine for several months. Although I have made several trips to Pasadena, Texas for repairs I am very happy with the unit.

I found that tech support is excellent and they have talked me through some minor problems.

I didn't even save the box for shipping, that is how confident I am with the unit.

clockman
08-14-2007, 05:04 PM
I should get it this Sat. Can't wait. This is an invaluable forum. I've learned a lot yet haven't even taken it out of the box. Good work.;)

dragoncarver
09-30-2007, 03:28 PM
my thanks to all the moderators john paul and jeff (shouldnt that be ringo):D and where is george:grin: you guys are great

badger
10-05-2007, 01:30 PM
Ive been nothing but impressed with the amount of time so many put into helping others and I for one thank all of them.

Getting close to finishing my second project, which is a rather large frame
4'x8' for our new county jail about to open showing off all Sheriffs from 1907 through 2007. It should open just in time to celebrate our States (Oklahoma) 100 year celebration. If it wasnt for this forum and the help Ive received from the people here I might have been a new resident in that jail getting frustrated trying to figure this machine out, but you all have made it seem easy to get through it.

Again Thanks for helping me keep my sanity.

lmao, almost finished it and halfway through last part of the project and the tip broke on my carving bit aaaaaggghhh!....lol Figures, just the very tip of it snapped off, have to wait next couple days to get another bit delivered. Such as life.

Mike
10-12-2007, 09:25 PM
Hi guys! It has been a while since I have been on this forum. I kind of miss this. Even so, it may be good because I have not had a lot of problems. I called LHR on Tuesday and had some issues solved but was not at my machine like they wanted. Recalled on Wednesday and had to wait for a call back. Just was leaving for work (2nd shift) and got a call. I expected the parts to be at least a week ( Texas to Michigan). They showed up Friday!!!! I just happened to take a 3 day weekend and to my surprise and a couple of customers there projects will be done by Monday. Thanks to Wes who I believe was responsible for the quick action. VERY NICE JOB!!!! Also thanks to Digital Woodshop for the latest Info on how to get my CW back up and running AFTER the parts installation!!!:)

Mike

TurkeyBranch
10-16-2007, 11:27 AM
I am so excited! I got my machine today. Was putting a new front door on the house when it arrived. It had to sit on the sidewalk while I finished the front door. I think it was calling me..........."Ed, come play with me. Unpack me, feed me wood." Not sure, just sounded like it to me. :)

Anyway, I am anxious to get started. The wife said she would stay at her mothers tonight so me and the Carvewright could be alone. LOL

Look forward to posting pics of my work

Ed

mtylerfl
10-16-2007, 04:38 PM
Hello Ed,

Fantastc! Can't wait to see your project photos!

cabnet636
10-23-2007, 07:56 PM
bought my compucarve after seeing it on tv, carved panels for cabnet doors within minutes of setup !! see website www.mcgrewwoodwork.com did all the signs for my horse farm www.woodenhorsefarm.com and a whole lot of fun stuff. went into my tool supplier (Mann tool Columbia SC) and told them
about carvewright they have now sold seven units some on back order!!

called carvewright to get a new qc as needed (sears here does not even
know what this machine is) man what great service, they emailed me and one is on the way

i even mentioned the machine in an article that was done in cabinetmaker
magazine on our company

so here's the deal, is there going to be a wider x axis 24 inches + for a more commercial application? a small cabinetmaker could cut dados and shelf pin holes in a basecabinet side, and actually i have resisted cnc technology
for a long time (an awful long time) and i am now studying how to spend a lot more money on a large cnc machine.

amazing how this little machine could teach on old dog new tricks
in less than 30 minutes it unraveled years of fear about this technology. man my mother figured out cnc monogramming in her home years ago!

so for any one that doesn't understand what to expect from this little machine
and what it really can do and the patience it can require i say boo hoo to you
and thank you to the guys who starved to bring us this little machine

cabnet

mtylerfl
10-23-2007, 08:26 PM
Hello cabnet636,

Welcome to "our world"! Sounds like you're having a ball already!

Visited your website - you do beautiful work indeed. (the woodenhorsefarm website didn't work though)

oldjoe
10-23-2007, 09:17 PM
I am very impressed with your work way out of my league for what I do are the cornices in the picture done on a CC? The are beautiful. I also could not get the woodenhorse to work. Gives me all the tools to build a website or something like that. Keep up the work and POST MORE PICKS OF YOUR WORK!! Might want to put them in the gallery though. I think more people read that part of the forum anyway. And Welcome to the forum.

pkunk
10-23-2007, 09:19 PM
Here's one for you Cabnet. I've not found much of a need for shelf pin holes in base units as 95% of my customers want pullouts, but the uppers need 'em and the CW will do 'em.
BTW, I posted some while back about your mention in Cabinetmaker. I'ts good that CW gets a Pro mention now and then.;)

cabnet636
10-24-2007, 06:51 AM
thanks for the reply. while the website ( www.mcgrewwoodwork.com ) shows a lot of kitchens (Done between 01 and 06) we have primarily moved back to commercial work.
where 32 mm pin holes are in all cabinets, even though we are not a true
"32mm" shop (Hardware etc) i do realize this is a carving machine and while
i am now facing a decision of somewhere above $ 20.000.00 for a machine
i look forward to learning more about carving and this fantastic machine as i will be looking for retirement in not to many years and i almost can't wait to get into the barn with this.

cabnet

cabnet636
10-24-2007, 06:53 AM
thanks for the reply. while the website ( www.mcgrewwoodwork.com ) shows a lot of kitchens (Done between 01 and 06) we have primarily moved back to commercial work.
where 32 mm pin holes are in all cabinets, even though we are not a true
"32mm" shop (Hardware etc) i do realize this is a carving machine and while
i am now facing a decision of somewhere above $ 20.000.00 for a machine
i look forward to learning more about carving and this fantastic machine as i will be looking for retirement in not to many years and i almost can't wait to get into the barn with this.

cabnet

was it henry ford who said "man who needs a tool and does'nt buy it will soon find he has paid for it and does'nt own it"

Gallaher
12-15-2007, 11:37 PM
I must say that I am impressed with what this machine and the software can do. It is an inexpensive computerized carving system put into an existing frame of a planer. It does have flaws and will have growing pains for the next few years.

This forum seems to be the R&D department for the machine. :rolleyes:

reckless49
02-05-2008, 11:31 AM
This has to be the worse machine I have ever had for the cost. $2400.00
mad:
I have 42.56 hours on it and have had to send it back for a Z track Replace,replace the Board sensor twice, replaced the Power Supply, and the thing still will not work!

Every time I try to run a simple project, I get Error massages 87, 116, Assert messages 116 and on and on it go message after message.

I would think that the designers would have work out the bug befor selling it to us woodworkers.
I must have recieved one of the lemons that I here about.

A Really good Cabinet Saw cast less than this thing and thay work!

Not a so Happy Carver

TonyToolman
02-06-2008, 06:07 PM
Reckless49 wrote:
One thing after another

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

mad:
I have 42.56 hours on it and have had to send it back for a Z track Replace,replace the Board sensor twice, replaced the Power Supply, and the thing still will not work!

My Reply:
I have had mine for over a year. You have gotten yours to work twice the hours I have. Mine went down last December and they could not get it working during the warranty period, and it is now out of warranty ,,,not working and now they want to charge to keep on trying to get it to work. I have been told by their Support supervisor that it is policy and there is no one else to talk to. Just pay and pay. Oh yes, everyone said they were sorry, but that it is policy.

forqnc
02-07-2008, 08:42 AM
mad:

Every time I try to run a simple project, I get Error massages 87, 116, Assert messages 116 and on and on it go message after message.

I would think that the designers would have work out the bug befor selling it to us woodworkers.
I must have recieved one of the lemons that I here about.

A Really good Cabinet Saw cast less than this thing and thay work!

Not a so Happy Carver

Reckless49 wrote:
One thing after another

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

mad:

My Reply:
I have had mine for over a year. You have gotten yours to work twice the hours I have. Mine went down last December and they could not get it working during the warranty period, and it is now out of warranty ,,,not working and now they want to charge to keep on trying to get it to work. I have been told by their Support supervisor that it is policy and there is no one else to talk to. Just pay and pay. Oh yes, everyone said they were sorry, but that it is policy.

Welcome to the forum guys, hope you get everything sorted out.

woody-ct
02-27-2008, 04:38 PM
Perhaps it's time to air my problems here, since two e-mails and a letter to the owner/president failed to evoke any response.
My machine is now ten months old and the third power supply arrive yesterday and I am waiting to install it this weekend.
I bought the machine last April and within a month it had to go back for repair(s). Not sure what was done, but it worked ok, for a while. Due to time commitments I have very little time to use it, but every time I did something else went wrong. The QC chuck threw a bit since it would close properly. Received a replacement only to discover one ot the screws holding the flex shaft in place was missing. finnally got it runing and the power supply went bad. Received a repalcement and it went bad after 40 minutes. Now before they send a new one they want you want the old one back, adding even MORE delays. The long and short is that in ten months I have less than nine (9) hours on the machine. My thinking is that they should warrenty hours, not time.
Last time I talked to customer service (sometimes after repeated calls and no callbacks) I was told that some of the machines seem to be problematic while others seem to be just fine. I now wonder just how long this third power supply will last.

larrywilson
03-14-2008, 07:25 AM
i have had my machine since november. onley problem i have had was me. october i did,nt know how to turn a computer on. lots of fun learning and dayley reading the forum. my cc still runs like it was new. no complaints no regrets.:p

badger
03-25-2008, 05:12 PM
Would be nice to hear from those that had problems whether or not they had them corrected or are still waiting. Those that have been corrected, others would be thankful if you could let them know whether or not the outcome of your original problem was corrected.

TIMCOSBY
03-25-2008, 09:29 PM
got through within three rings...computer system down and would have the lady call me back...lady called at 4 o'clock got board sensor ordered... very smooth no problems at all.

badger
03-25-2008, 10:48 PM
Nice to here. I was however referring to those that posted on this topic here but we have never heard from them again. Just curious if their still having problems or if their problem was corrected and they just havent been back since their busy carving.

I think others would like to hear from them that there is a light at the end of the tunnel for some.

shellyshed
04-13-2008, 02:08 PM
hi can anyone out help me I've seen this machine on another forum and was very interested in it.what i would like too know is about the reliabilty of the machine i've read a few topics and it seems a few problems occur but seem to be overcome and other people have had too have there machines replaced,
but anyway i,m still interested.does any one know if anybody inports these i live york (england) i've only been on the carvewright website and i'm not really keen on ordering from them.I would be greatful for your input thanks

DocWheeler
04-13-2008, 02:14 PM
shellyshed,

Let me introduce you to someone that can help you better than anyone'
http://www.carvewright.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5248

John has been involved here for a couple of years.

LollyWood
04-29-2008, 08:30 AM
I was VERY leery when I took the plunge. I actually bought mine about 5 months ago on ebay. Seller was in Texas and stated it was a referb. But for $1200-v-$2000+ why not. I got my "toy"w/ about 10 Hrs on the motor.

I finished a 2 1/2 Hr project today and my motor went over 70 Hrs. besides usual maintainance, (lubing, tightening, dusting and cleaning) I've had to replace a board sensor, and a Door micro switch so far. But I'll tell you what, the times I had this thing opened up and looked around, this thing is pretty simple inside. ( I'm no electriction, or computer fella. Not even a good mechanic.) :) But from what I see, I could replace just about anything myself fairly easy. The folks on this forum have done allot to ease my fears w/ pic, exploded diagrams, and good explainations of what problems relate to what, and how to fix it.

Not having a warantee was scary at first. But now, even the Z axis thing is a piece of cake. I just follow the screws to the wires, to the circ board, and back. For me this tool may require a bit more care then my table saw or router, but the things it does for the time I spend are all worth it.

Just my 2Cs

Not Bragging, I just love what this gizmo can do. :)

mtylerfl
04-29-2008, 09:13 AM
Beautiful work!

Sparky36
05-01-2008, 03:38 PM
I know that you guys want to here of people writing in that have no problems, I think that is far from being near. I was told about the router from a friend that saw it on TV. I read the forms and quotes and decided to take a chance anyways hoping that most were just a fluke. It is not a fluke, I think that the majority have had problems. I have had two so far. I haver no idea as when I will see the third as Sears has had three different stories to tell me. One that it was not serviced yet, the other person said it was shipped and has been back at the store, another saying it has not been received yet for repair. Mind you this is from the same phone number. I think that Sears works as well as the machine itself. Don't buy if you want a stress free work station.

cnsranch
05-01-2008, 04:50 PM
Here's what I think, Sparky

Anybody that will pay almost $2,000 for a router (as you call it) is nuts.

Guess I could stop there, but I just can't help myself.

I've been a hobby woodworker for over 25 years. Last year, my wife let me build my dream-shop (the pic in my avatar is it). You name the tool, I've got it, short of a thickness sander (it'll happen). For the first 20 years of my hobby, I was a Shopsmith guy. I absolutely love the tool, and I love it because I know its limitations. Table saw, lathe, planer, jointer, drill press, you name it. That's why I bought a Delta Unisaw last spring with a biesmeyer fence - the Shopsmith just didn't cut it any longer for what I needed.

I've never had a tool NEVER that didn't need maintenance. They need sharpening, alignment, cleaning, oiling, blah, blah, blah. You don't want to maintain a tool, don't buy it.

Interesting that the less expensive the tool, the less maintenance they need. Why, I hardly ever need to align my screwdrivers.

Back to my Shopsmith - once I figured out the tool, it was a breeze to use. But, if anyone ever came over as I was working with it, their eyes would roll back in their heads due to the set-up that had to occur before the on switch could be pushed. It's never broken down on me, but it always has been a maintenance nightmare. BTW, I've got over $3,000 in that tool, and it's accessories.

Back in 1982, I went to the Harley dealer hell-bent on buying an Electra-Glide (FLH). Had the money, wanted one for years, was ready to drop the dough. The dealer looked me dead in the eye and said "if you don't want to stop every 500 miles and tighten every bolt, nut and screw on this machine, man, don't buy it".

Guess what - I bought a Honda (and to this day I wish I'd bought the Harley).

I've been reading this forum for over a year, and I've never seen anyone bi**h about the problems they have with their computers, or how much it costs to change the oil in their Mercedes, or how much tires cost for their Jag. Wait, you don't have a Mercedes or Jag? You sure have one in your CarveWright!

I'm absolutely smitten with this machine. When I went to the show here in KC back in Feb., I talked to the CW gut there (wish I could remember his name). We talked long and hard about all the problems I saw on the 'net - all the guys griping about the machine. He proceeded to ask me about my computer experience, and my experience as a woodworker, etc. After that, he told me I wouldn't have any problems. And you know what? He was right.

I'll make a bet that there are guys out there pulling this $2,000 piece of highly complicated machinery out of the box, slapping a piece of scrap wood in it, and trying to carve a masterpiece. That's like putting your 16 year old boy behind the wheel of your brand new Ferrari, giving him a cold Bud, and wishing him well on his night on the town - it's gonna end up ugly.

You get what you pay for. At the risk of offending the guys that are died in the wool Sears fans, you gotta be nuts to buy a piece of equipment like this from them when you can buy directly from LHR. And if you tell me you didn't know you could buy directly from LHR, that just proves you didn't do your homework in the first place.

You ever really talked to those guys at Sears? My God, what a bunch of under-paid, under-qualified dorks - and you're gonna rely on them?

This ain't a router, it's the most sophisticated piece of equipment I own. I maintain the whale out of it, because I'm afraid that I'll ruin it if I don't. My goal is to put out the kind of stuff I see these guys putting out. You want to turn out the kind of project the CW can without maintenance? Buy a bunch of carving tools, a couple of wooden mallets, a bunch of band-aids for the blisters, and quit whining.

Man, do I feel better.

And I sincerely apologize if I offended anyone in any way.

thomasj
05-01-2008, 05:28 PM
CNSRANCH,
Ditto!!
You said it much better than I would have!!
THANKS!!

ChrisAlb
05-02-2008, 06:06 AM
cnsranch,

I bought my new 07 Ultra Classic last summer. Over 8000 miles now and never a wrench put to it. This machine is a MARVEL of modern technology and in my opinion, that Dealer should be shot...LOL

Been a jap rider all my life. Sold my 98 Suzuki Intruder 1400 to get the Ultra. My advice...sell the Honda...BUY THE HOG!! I'll NEVER go back!

Sorry folks, I know this has nothing to do with this thread but hey....lol

Ride Free Brother!

Gunner
05-02-2008, 07:27 AM
Ah Chris, it's time to change the oil.

Kenm810
05-02-2008, 05:00 PM
I was working on an Art repair job today in my studio, while my carving machine was playing its music in the shop down the hall.
As I puttered and painted on the piece lying on the floor, it started to remind me (paint fumes maybe) of the Moderators on the CW Forum, and the work these volunteers do. And how little credit they all get, for all the answers and knowledge they freely share, for the little prodding and pushing to get us read our owners manual plus how and when to use the forum search option, even how to ask a question on the forum and to supply enough information in our posts so they can help us.
I for one do appreciate how they guide the forum and help control the whining and bickering when necessary, and generally put up with some of our nonsense.
Hats off to ya. -- You have my Gratitude and Thanks.

As for the rest of you guys I ain’t saying--- so you figure out who’s, who http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_cool.gif

mtylerfl
05-02-2008, 09:32 PM
Well said, Ken. We have a lot to be thankful for!

Hey, I love that art piece - very nice!

Eagle Hollow
05-03-2008, 05:56 AM
Let me join in thanking the moderators...great job you guys do.
Ken, Couldn't you find a better picture of me?

Jerry

ChrisAlb
05-03-2008, 07:05 AM
Ah Chris, it's time to change the oil.

Well....yea...but....that's not a malfunction....lol

And I should rephrase also, I never put a wrench to it "to tighten things up". I have to put highway pegs and a few glistening accessories on her....lol

Edward Macomber
06-03-2008, 01:14 PM
This is mac from Hawaii, I went though 3 compu carve from Sears. I got one from Carvewright shipped from Amazon. Much better machine, however being out here in Mililani I have had to learn to do my own maintenance Cuz I can't teach my CW to swim.
THe point is this By your CW from Carve Wright and not from Sears.

Sparky36
06-09-2008, 10:50 AM
I will take your advice and just get a refund and order direct. The people at Sears have no clue of what they are doing and no information. The manager in Yankton, SD here should not even be working there as she has not done any thing to resolve my problem of a router that went into service and dissapeared over 2 months now.

woodchipsltd
07-31-2008, 06:47 PM
Check out Jason Allen at The Little Red Wood Shop. He had a great deal going for the complete package, machine, probe, bit set and free shipping. That's who I got my machine from. And the after sale service??? Unbeatable. Sears and or Amazon can not match it!!!

:)

Steven D.
08-19-2008, 03:05 PM
My CW machine has made the trip to it's homeland with problems, came back very quickly off R&R with a whole new outlook on performance, service and productivity. Have had ZERO problems with her until the other day and the chuck started giving me a fit turning loose the bits... called Tech support, told them the problem, they checked their records and said a new one would be sent out. 2 days later it was in my mailbox... a lot of company's need to take notice of this service.. I call this WORLD CLASS SERVICE at it's finest. I am trying to sell some of these machines to my friends and business associates. No, I am not getting anything for it, just trying to help the folks at Carvewright.. The Owners, Engineers, Support Team, Software, Sales and even the guys and gals that clean the factory, all earned it as far as I am concerned. It's the people that make it GOOD.

Just wanted to put in my dimes worth of info

Dean

I work in Baton Rouge how can I contact you.

FiddlemakerMills
08-25-2008, 11:24 AM
Very refershing, just ordered the repair parts I needed and had the soft ware questions answered as fast as I could ask them.

Wish other companies were as efficient.

To the Staff @ LHR
Thanks for the help and answers.

Carl:D

brady.schwyhart
08-27-2008, 08:17 PM
I just have to say that I have never had a bad word to say about CarveWright. Every aspect of this company is a shining example to other companies and corporations world wide. Their customer support is unmatched and their product is simply outstanding. Each and every time (and they have been few and far between) that I have had a problem with my machine,,,,the CW customer support folks have been all over it.

Bubbabear
10-01-2008, 12:21 PM
We have a section for the true moans and groans with out being chastised for not being as happy. Bemive it or not some of us have had true problems but if we mention them here there are a couple that appear to get plain excited because we actually had a real problem and want to tell someone about it. Seems as though if you have issues with it you are supposed to keep your mouth shut

cnsranch
10-01-2008, 12:55 PM
I guess that when it all comes down to it, in one way or another, every single post/thread here on the Forum is meant to be productive to a degree - someone learns something positive - whether it be how to center a pattern, or why their flexshaft crapped out.

Simply having a bitch section is not productive in any way other than making the bitcher feel better. I've had a disagreement or two with LHR, but what would be the point in airing them here?

No offense meant, Bubba. I'm just a regular guy like you, not a moderator, not a champion of the company, just a woodworker. If someone starts a thread about why their cover switch shot craps, and how they can fix the thing, I'm all about it. But I'm just not interested in hearing someone whine for the sake of whining. That simply does not accomplish anything positive. And I'm not interested in anyone trying to accomplish anything negative, here, because that, by human nature, causes people not to want to help, or improve, or provide, etc., and that affects you and me in the longrun.

Frankly, I'm pretty selfish. I want LHR to work their asses off to make the machine, software and support better and better. I want them to show off this Forum, it sells machines which helps them fulfill my selfish nature. It may surprise some to know that they want to do the same - they tend to make more money that way. I also enjoy coming here, to the Forum. I've met some pretty good folks here - you included - and I find it a lot of fun. I can't imagine anyone learning how to make the CW work to its potential without the Forum - the learning curve is way too steep to get it from the manual. But I don't like to come here and leave with a big bag of downers - that's another selfish part. I can get the downers at work any day.

Apparently I've been really lucky. Other than snapping a cutting bit, I've had no problems that can't be traced to operator error. I know that some have, but it's my impression is that their problems have been attended to. I'm sure I would be an upset donkey if my machine caused me troubles, but the fact is (at least I think the fact is) that stuff happens. If one doesn't think that the
vendor is handling a problem correctly, deal with them directly. Airing the dirt here sure won't fix the problem, trust me.

I'm done.

Bubbabear
10-01-2008, 01:00 PM
No Doubt but those who have had problems should not be made to feel like jerks because we air them. they are and can be productive too. for it to be a true forum all comments should be welcomed in the same manor. I don't remember seeing anything in forum rules that this is for praise only forum.

Audie
10-01-2008, 02:33 PM
cnsranch and bubbabear,

I agree with both of you. I suppose the one difference is reading a posting that is poorly thought out and just the feelings of a carver who is angry. I have had many problems with my CW and it has been the the ER at LHR for tender loving care. But to just state something like, "this %&$* sucks", does not help improve the quality of the CW or the staff of LHR. When I read the diary of a failure and the advice given by so many accomplished CW crvers, I learn something that usually keeps me from making the same mistake. LHR obviously reads these posting and from what I've seen so far - makes improvements. I'll tell you, nothing is greater than to have sawdust flying and a work of art produced and at the same time nothing is more frustrating than getting an error code or a fatal failure. I applaud those who are able to keep their frustration in check and share the errors with the hopes of fixing their machines or processes. I have to admit that when I first received comments from Jeff....I thought..."how dare him"....but after swallowing my pride and LISTENING to what was being stated...I found that it wasn't the CW that was at fault...I was. Ouch! This forum is invaluable and quite frankly...does not have to exist and I appreciate the input from everyone that takes time out of their busy schedules to assist each other. The quality of my carvings and the fantastic ideas that have been freely shared have improved dramatically since I first started carving and I owe it all to the fine folks of this forum. Thank you everyone! (yeah, you too Jeff!) LOL
Best wishes to all and let the saw dust fly!

Audie

SeaCapt97
11-11-2008, 06:24 PM
My super generous and thoughtful Dad bought me a Compucarve from Sears in February. We were both just a little concerned about how many negative postings on the forum. Being as anal retentive as we both are, we actually counted negative versus positive feedback, factored in that folks most often report bad experiences than good and with crossed fingers, bought the machine. While I'm not yet an "old dog" on this machine, I've used it any time I can squeak out a couple of hours and have had very pleasing success. Then it happened . . . dreaded "check cut motor" message. Thanks to the forum, I didn't panic. Sounded like motor rpm sensor and easy fix. I called LHR. A friendly technician answered right away. He found my account with caller I.D. (no long drawn out "prove you own it" drill) and with a very brief description of my plight diagnosed a failed spindle rpm sensor. He said he would send one out right away no charge and would e-mail a pdf file with installation instructions. Right away was no joke! Gospel truth, within 5 minutes I received an e-mail from Carve Wright with the pdf as promised plus an additional troubleshooting guide and a confirmation for my order! Thanks Barry. Great job! I'm not so scared now!
Bill Meyers - SeaCapt97

badger
12-02-2008, 12:46 PM
10 out of 10 on customer support.

Reported an incorrect part shipped whether through my fault or theirs on the phone discussing the problem and finding a solution then ordering the part only to have the wrong one sent. They not only looked into the problem but unannounced to me saw an email showing that the correct part has already been sent and is on its way.

Now that is the true meaning of Customer Support.

Great Job Carvewright Team, keep up the outstanding work.