PDA

View Full Version : Starting low

liquidguitars
04-30-2007, 01:39 PM
My CW seems to start the carving position lower than it should "see image".
Anyone knows if I can raise the index back to zero with an adjustment or two?

http://www.liquidguitars.com/startlowR001.jpg

LG

Jeff_Birt
04-30-2007, 01:48 PM
There was a post similar to this a few weeks ago, here (http://www.carvewright.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3270&highlight=Z+calibration). As I recall his solution was to 'shim' the area of the board where the height check is done and remove the shim before carving as there is no calibration proceedure for the Z axis. You might also check that the bit flapper and area towards the keypad end of the machine are very clean, just in case some bit of sawdust in a crevis is messing things up. Are you using a CW carving bit? Is it mounted properly?

liquidguitars
04-30-2007, 02:11 PM
thanks Jeff,

Started carving a tad low after I lost power for a sec then lost the Z truck during a carve "my fault” later I did use a new carving bit.

But the bit flapper/cam should check the calibration depth of the bit right? :confused:

LG

Jeff_Birt
04-30-2007, 02:15 PM
As I understand the bit flapper 'should' adjust the Z-depth (or tool offset) calibration. How it does this is unknown to me. Did you switch bits during a project? Unsure what you meant.

liquidguitars
04-30-2007, 02:35 PM
Did you switch bits during a project? Unsure what you meant.

No only after, right now the unit works well but cuts a tad low I will try bending the flapper up a little and review the bits...

Just a idea, if my carving bits are set a tad low, will not the flapper compensate? :oops:

LG

Jeff_Birt
04-30-2007, 02:42 PM
Before bending the flapper, try adding a small shim to the top.

liquidguitars
04-30-2007, 03:02 PM
The 1/4 bit in the manual show 1.25" extenting from the bit holder base,

How much for the 1/16 carving bit are you setting. I have about 1.50" depth.

LG

pkunk
04-30-2007, 03:09 PM
The 1/4 bit in the manual show 1.25" extenting from the bit holder base,

How much for the 1/16 carving bit are you setting. I have about 1.50" depth.

LG
I don't think that the length extending from the adapter has anything to do with it. I have 2 carving bits-1 from CW & the other from Precise bits which was mounted by them in a choked up position to minimize runout. Both carve equally well as far as depth.

Cliff
04-30-2007, 03:22 PM
LG
What is your mpc feather set at?

liquidguitars
04-30-2007, 05:21 PM
don't think that the length extending from the adapter has anything to do with it.

That sounds right.

I looked at my project and it could be the pattern bit, I set my project up with an 1/8 straight cut in the patterns option “as it saves time”, but I think the loss of mesh detail after selection of the 1/8 bit could be the prob. I will change it back to the 1/16 …

As a side note the same thing can happen if I set optimization to high.

I working off a jig so no feathering is needed.

LG

pkunk
04-30-2007, 06:14 PM
That sounds right.

I looked at my project and it could be the pattern bit, I set my project up with an 1/8 straight cut in the patterns option “as it saves time”, but I think the loss of mesh detail after selection of the 1/8 bit could be the prob. I will change it back to the 1/16 …

As a side note the same thing can happen if I set optimization to high.

I working off a jig so no feathering is needed.

LG
You must follow directions. You must use the right bit. Do not pass go.:D :D

Jeff_Birt
04-30-2007, 08:34 PM
LIG says>As a side note the same thing can happen if I set optimization to high.

I've been running some test carvings of a bunch of textures I've created. At first I thought it was something that I was doing in the texture design but realized that it only appeard when I set the bit optimization to 'Best'. I guess the lesson is that the level of bit optimization needs to be carefully selected. Maybe we can all compare notes on what level of optimization works best in various situations.

rjustice
04-30-2007, 08:55 PM
I have ran into several situations when importing .bmp files that if using the best setting i have spikes that show up around the images. If i take it to high, it smoothes right out, and gives me much better results.

Moral is, best, isnt always best. It pays to study your carving in designer using a couple different settings before uploading.

Ron

liquidguitars
05-01-2007, 03:10 PM
Update:
I did bend the flapper/cam arm down about a 1/8" yesterday and it's now indexing better. I also changed the 1/8 pattern bit back to 1/16.
So yea we need to understand how the projects board can interact with the way the pattern bits change the meshs subdivision.
A wireframe view would give us a better idea but...

LG

Charles M
05-01-2007, 04:06 PM
LG,

I am having a similar problem and not just with one bit. It happens with the V-Groove bits as well as the carving bit and even the 1/8" bit doing Cut Path. If I carve the whole surface so everything is recessed from the face (0.008" seems to be the minimum BTW) all looks great. I have been reluctant to try bending the flapper since I don't see how it could affect this. Have you tried making a cut a depth of, say 0.250" then measuring the result to see how close it is?

liquidguitars
05-01-2007, 04:47 PM
I have been reluctant to try bending the flapper since I don't see how it could affect this.

It could be how we setup our projects with the software, or
An adjustment on the unit. Try bending the index cam "flapper” down about 3/32.

BTW you can always bend it back... ;)

LG