PDA

View Full Version : re-carving/2-tone solved?

ljdm
04-30-2007, 11:18 AM
Think i figured it out. Tried a quick test board, seemed to work. I created a carve region first. Then placed pattern in carve region. My settings I tried were -
inner pattern : merge style normal, depth .200.
Carve region : merge style additive, depth .200
Saved project. Opened project, changed carve region depth to .250 Saved this as another project. Loaded board, cut 1st project. When done, cut second project. It deppened carve region, didn't carve into inner pattern.
Reason behind all this:
Cut 1st project, spray or light coat poly or some sealer to prevent stain from darkening pattern. When I cut 2nd project, it will take just enough off carve region to take off sealer and allow background to stain. Should give similar effect as carving a ligher piece and attaching it to darker piece of wood. Like the praying hands posted on the forum where the hands are screwed from the back of a plaque. Any thoughts, suggestions, etc?
Also, I did 2nd pass .250 from .200, don't think I needed to take that much more off. I don't think the sealer will go that deep into the wood on a light coat, especially on a harder wood such as white oak. Going to have to test the sealer/stain part of the project next. If anybody has tried this, or tests it before I get to it, let me know how it goes.

rjustice
04-30-2007, 12:04 PM
ljdm,

I would love to see a picture once you try this... I have a couple projects that i want to do the same technique.

Thanks

Ron

ljdm
04-30-2007, 02:33 PM
Did a quick test. coat of poly on an area. Let it dry, then applied stain over it and next to the poly'ed area. Wiped it off, only stained the unpoly'ed area. Did a quick cut in the poly area - took off about.02 ro so of wood. Was able to stain that area. So far, theory and testing sucessful. Seems like this might be a good way to do 2-tone without 2 pcs of wood. Going to try it on some text next.

rjustice
04-30-2007, 05:25 PM
Sounds great so far!!... really anxious to see the effect!

Ron

Gman_Ind
04-30-2007, 10:37 PM
Post some photos! sounds good.

RBeau1954
05-08-2007, 04:27 PM
Check out my post in the Gallery listed as "Colts" I am not sure how to put a link in here. What I did was laminate a thin maple board to walnut and cut just below the thickness of the maple to leave the carving in maple and the background in walnut. I am experimenting with other things like that too.

Rick