PDA

View Full Version : Twelve volt supply sorce ?

HillBilly
04-29-2007, 12:31 AM
Anyone know of a place where you could pick up a standing twelve volt supply with in the power sorce ?

I`m thinking more and more about adding some lighting under the hood.

Kenm810
04-29-2007, 08:27 AM
HB
Are you thinking of drawing the 12 volt from the machines power, or a stand alone 12 dc from 110 ac volt converter. Just a thought for you, I used a radio shack 4.5 volt dc transformer and a 4.5 volt mag-lite bulb and holder in a kit box, added an on/off switch for mine and mounted it with Velcro so I could remove it while cleaning my machine. I prefer 4.5 volts because the bulbs last so lone and are fairly inexpensive. And can also be powered by a small three1.5 volt cell battery pack, both have type M adaptor plugs to make them interchangeable if I want to move it around. But if you prefer 12 volt I know Tandy Co. has those also.

HillBilly
05-07-2007, 02:56 AM
Ken,

Yep, I`m wanting to draw from the source. I`d seen your idea before, and I`ll agree it`s a great idea. However what I`m thinking of doing is to install a few LED`s in the top cover that would be powered by the "lady" as she is under her own.

What can I say, I`ve been married a few times before. Got`s to try for "self-effusion"..<grin>

Kenm810
05-07-2007, 08:03 AM
HB, I've tried not to modify Her in any physical way, I kinda like her the way she is, that don't mean I can't add a little window dressing here and there. My lighting, power for the machine, and blower all come from the multiple receptacle circuit box mounted in my down draft table. If there's enough room under her skirt, I don't see any problem with building a small shielded power converter right near her 110 volt ac source.

New Low Voltage Mini Transformers. Input A/C 120 volt 50/60 Hz. Output A/C 12 volt 60 watts max. Use for Halogen low voltage lights, Undercabinet Lights, Recessed Lights, and more. Size 2.5"W 1.5"H 1.25"D. Also available 50,75,105 & 150 watts. Dimmable with low voltage lighting dimmer. UR listed. -- add a full wave bridge to get 12 volt dc --Just a thought.
Who knows CW may incorporate lighting and a little low pressure air in the next generation machine. In the Mean time I'm sure some of our engineers out there can come up with some better ideas then mine.

ps. HB, I forgot to ask, Did you want all the Leds "inside" the Machine?

HillBilly
05-12-2007, 01:18 AM
ROTFLMAO....Good one Ken. Now if we could just get some of those lights to flash, blink, rotate around or something ( maybe even add a little horn ). When we`ve done something really foolish or outside the envelope. Heck, just think how much time we`d save..LOL

Really though what I`m still thinking of is adding about four LED`s or maybe a Cold Cathode tube under the top cover just behind the drop cover. I`ve checked and there is plenty of room to do either. Right now I`m in the process of building a new shed to house my CompuCarve so the idea is on hold for the moment.

It`s been fun having her in the house, but the wife is getting a bit tired of her hanging out in here....<grin>

TIMCOSBY
05-17-2007, 02:31 AM
have you thought about regular 120v lights such as christmas tree lights or some of the smaller bulbs? i know leds will last longer but 120volts is there for you already.

Kenm810
05-17-2007, 08:13 AM
I have used both the 10” and 20” 110volt strip lights on a few of my other shop machines.
I personally like the idea that they are removable when we clean or need to move them to other machines.
You can see them in the Rockler Woodworking and Hardware online catalog.

They include self-adhesive pads for straight mounting or swiveling clips for angled mounting.
Mounting brackets swivel. Also includes cord, roll switch and a permanent bulb strip
that lasts approximately 40,000 hours.

Lighting Strip - Black, 10'' long 17948 In Stock $19.99 Each