PDA

View Full Version : What style for Vector Art 3D Models

Pat D
04-26-2007, 06:24 PM
Looking for some advice as to what style carves best for the 3D Artcam models you can purchase. They sell three styles, Regular, Dish, and Recess. Does any one look better when carved by the CC than the others? Maybe it depends on the model?

Thanks,
Pat D

CallNeg151
04-26-2007, 06:30 PM
Looking for some advice as to what style carves best for the 3D Artcam models you can purchase. They sell three styles, Regular, Dish, and Recess. Does any one look better when carved by the CC than the others? Maybe it depends on the model?

Thanks,
Pat D

It depends on what you wish to do with them. The "A" model is the one to use if you want to carve on a flat region that you have already defined. The B and C models are better for carving if you want them to be carved below the surface of the board. The C is particularly useful for a feathered look, because using the CW's built in feather sometimes causes the inside of models to raise up in some models. I would probably get the A model if you get only one (unless you have a project in mind where B or C would be useful). If you think you might need more than one, however, I would go ahead and buy all three models, since the cost to get three is slightly less than the cost to get two.

Pat D
04-26-2007, 06:44 PM
Thanks for your reply. After I posted I saw this on their website. They reinforce what you said and recommend the first (Style A) style for the CompuCarve:
Style A - Regular / Raised
This style is designed to be machined and then cut out. It can then be used as an appliqué or as a product in its own right. If you use 3D design software (ex. ArtCAM Pro, EnRoute Pro, Rhino etc.) then this style is the best version to use as a component in a more complex layout. This is also the best format to use for the CarveWright/CompuCarve system.
Style B - Dish
This style has the 3D model recessed on a dished shape which is completely below the surrounding area of the part. This is designed to be cut into a flat surface to add 3D decoration into the part.
C - Recess / Hand Carved Edge
This style is completely recessed below the main surface so it can be carved into a flat piece of material. The edge of this style has a hand carved effect which works very well when machined into wood.
Free 3D Viewer File

HandTurnedMaple
04-26-2007, 09:13 PM
Basically, use B if you want a stand alone carving. C if you want to add it to something like a cabinet. A works with a carved region behind it, or as a cutout.