PDA

View Full Version : Check cutting motor

terry
04-24-2007, 01:21 PM
Between 20 and 40 percent through a project I get the check cutting motor message. When I press enter it will run until the project is completed but at a higher rpm. I have checked the forum and determined it must be the rpm sensor, but I wonder if I am hurting the machine at the higher rpm. I'm waiting for a return call from cw but have several must finish projects in the meantime

DocWheeler
04-29-2007, 04:43 PM
Is it only me or has anyone else noticed that after pressing Enter after a CCM message that the RPMs seem MUCH higher than they were earlier?

Ken:confused:

pkunk
04-29-2007, 05:00 PM
It seems they're higher for a little while and then settles down to the regular speed. But I have poor hearing anyways, so I thought I was imagining it.

jonweis
04-29-2007, 05:10 PM
It seems they're higher for a little while and then settles down to the regular speed. But I have poor hearing anyways, so I thought I was imagining it.

Senior moment!

liquidguitars
04-29-2007, 05:10 PM
Sounds like a voltage spike that could be shutting down the unit.

LG

Mikewiz
04-29-2007, 05:46 PM
I,ve also noticed this on my last two projects. I've had my machine two months and had the "check cut motor " from day one. but I noticed the RPM change in my last two carvings.

ruggybear
04-29-2007, 09:05 PM
My machine was repaired and a sent back. Today, second project after return (1 hour 20 min using 1.120 sw) 50% into project got CCM message. Just pressed Enter and completed project.

terry
04-30-2007, 11:13 PM
I don't know a lot about woodworking or the CW, but I've been a gearhead most of my life and when I punch the enter button after it shuts down, the machine sounds to me like it's taching about three notches over redline. But the new rpm sensor is on the way

RC Woodworks
04-30-2007, 11:47 PM
Terry, this is the most common issue with the CC. I have a post, "all you can do is laugh" It became very interesting and went over the check cut motor completely. I also posted a check cut motor update.

I have replaced 3 sensors and next is the cut motor. So check out the 2 post I learned a lot from them with all the other members input.

Rick

terry
05-01-2007, 12:15 AM
I read your post. It sounds real familiar. When the tech called me he had me remove the rpm sensor to check for the magnetic tug. I had the tug so he determined it was in fact the sensor. He said it was ok to run the machine even at the higher rpm. After removing the sensor for the check I tried another project and got your Please close cover message. After going through my complete vocabulary that makes a truck driver sound like a housewife, I found a wire that I must have loosened while removing the sensor. Anyway that's all I hope it is. Found the post to be helpful, thanks

RC Woodworks
05-01-2007, 01:04 PM
Lol is that possible for a truck driver to sound like a house wife!!! That is interesting that you received a close cover also. When you replace your new RPM sensor let me know if the close cover shows again. I hope yours will be the RPM sensor. CW replace one for me and I replaced 2 and still get the CCM. I also checked for the magnet. I have been wondering if there is one or 2 magnets?

I really want to know if the CCM issue has anything to do with the close cover issue? I tighten up all my cover switches screws and removed that ribbon cable behind the cut motor and my CC went away.

But after I installed the new RPM sensor and got the CC. I put the old RPM sensor back in and the CC went away. But did keep appearing at the start of a project. This time it allowed me to press enter and it would start and get CC press enter. This happen 4 or 5 times, that is when I removed the cable and called CW. I tighten the screw and it went away. I put the new RPM sensor back in and I got the CCM again. So I am getting a new cut motor.

Terry I am glad all the input of the other members has help you. I know I have learned a bunch from the other members!

Rick

terry
05-02-2007, 08:45 PM
Well I put the new rpm sensor in and I get the same ccm message about halfway through the project, but the close cover message is not an issue now. Darn am I looking at a new cut motor?

cmorlier
05-03-2007, 03:07 PM
The check cut motor message usually comes up when the motor is running more slowly than expected. From the software's point of view, this could mean the cut motor is not running properly or the sensor has a problem. We assume it will be fairly obvious if the cut motor isn't running, so if you opt to continue after the cut motor message then we assume the sensor is bad and stop actively controlling the motor for the duration of the project. Since motor control is off the motor may indeed spin slightly faster (or slower) than normal. This should not damage the machine.

There are several possible causes for this problem, so do contact CarveWright support for a resolution.

One useful piece of information is what type of operations are you running when you get this message? Are you doing a regular carving, and if so is it deep or shallow? Or are you carving a vector path with a large bit?

terry
05-03-2007, 04:15 PM
It might be possible that the cut motor is running at a lower rpm than it should before the cut motor message and after the restart it runs at the proper rpm. I just notice an audibly higher rpm after the restart. I am just running standard sign carvings at .125 to .250 depth with a 1/16 carving bit.

Skippy
05-04-2007, 07:21 PM
The check cut motor message usually comes up when the motor is running more slowly than expected. From the software's point of view, this could mean the cut motor is not running properly or the sensor has a problem. We assume it will be fairly obvious if the cut motor isn't running, so if you opt to continue after the cut motor message then we assume the sensor is bad and stop actively controlling the motor for the duration of the project. Since motor control is off the motor may indeed spin slightly faster (or slower) than normal. This should not damage the machine.

There are several possible causes for this problem, so do contact CarveWright support for a resolution.

One useful piece of information is what type of operations are you running when you get this message? Are you doing a regular carving, and if so is it deep or shallow? Or are you carving a vector path with a large bit?

I just carved a 2 hour project and 78 % through it got the CCM fault. The project finished after hitting Enter. But the cutting head and the flex shaft temperatures raised about 20 degrees (by hand test, I don't leave my CC alone as this is my #2 machine and still can't get an odometer reading). The RPM never slowed down after the CCM fault. I raised the cover 3 times during the last 22 % to let the thing cool down. The cutting head and shaft was not to hot to touch but you wouldn't want to keep your hand on either for more than 15 seconds.

I was carving an imported png in a 3/4" board at a depth of 1/8" if that helps.

Flip