PDA

View Full Version : USN Insignia

forqnc
04-24-2007, 09:45 AM
I know there is discussion going on elsewhere on the Forum regarding copyright material and the Services. But I am trying to make two signs for my Father-in-law and Great Father-in law, both had 25+ years service and have earned the right in my eyes to have the insignia carved into a sign with there name. What I am looking for is the crossed anchors insignia for boatswain and the anchor and rope with USN for Chief. I was wondering if anyone has a good .ptn file of these, or someone who has a probe could scan them for me.
I am proud to call them my Family for the service they gave there country and would appreciate any help in allowing me to fulfill this small gesture.
Thank you.

Lucky13
04-24-2007, 10:37 AM
I have been looking for that, would you mind posting that of the forum.

forqnc
04-24-2007, 12:02 PM
I have been looking for that, would you mind posting that of the forum.

These are just two pictures I found surfing the net, they do not convert into designer very well. That's why I was asking if anyone has a better file they could share.

Digitalwoodshop
04-24-2007, 07:05 PM
I am a retired Navy Chief and would love to have that file too....

AL

FCC(SW) Retired 3 ships, 27 countries, 1976-95.

Jon Jantz
04-24-2007, 07:24 PM
I did one up a while back very similar to this, I think it's posted here somewhere.... I'll look for it and get back...

Jon Jantz
04-24-2007, 07:29 PM
Ok... found it. It's pretty similar to the USN design here. ((BTW- if you're looking for the .PTN file, it's in the zipped file attached to that post))

http://www.carvewright.com/forum/showthread.php?p=11770#post11770

Sarge
04-24-2007, 07:52 PM
I know there is discussion going on elsewhere on the Forum regarding copyright material and the Services. But I am trying to make two signs for my Father-in-law and Great Father-in law, both had 25+ years service and have earned the right in my eyes to have the insignia carved into a sign with there name. What I am looking for is the crossed anchors insignia for boatswain and the anchor and rope with USN for Chief. I was wondering if anyone has a good .ptn file of these, or someone who has a probe could scan them for me.
I am proud to call them my Family for the service they gave there country and would appreciate any help in allowing me to fulfill this small gesture.
Thank you.

The issue with copyright doesn't really come to play, until someone is making stuff for sale.

Here are the insignia for Chief Petty Officer, Senior Chief Petty Officer and Master Chief Petty Officer. I've also included Boatswains mate rank insignia. The rank insignia are in the next post.

Sarge
04-24-2007, 07:56 PM
Here are the other insignia for Senior Chief and Master Chief. For those interested, I have a complete library of CD's with military clipart. Here is the website for them. www.oldmp.com/art

shoe2728
04-25-2007, 07:39 AM
Jon,
liked your master chief anchor you made, is there any way that I can remove the stars or add just one star. Iam a retired senior chief (E-8) and would like to carve the design but cant figure out how to remove and one star and move the other one.
thanks

Bill
04-25-2007, 08:23 AM
Jon,
Very nice graphic http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif

forqnc
04-25-2007, 08:30 AM
Jon,
liked your master chief anchor you made, is there any way that I can remove the stars or add just one star. Iam a retired senior chief (E-8) and would like to carve the design but cant figure out how to remove and one star and move the other one.
thanks
I second the motion Jon, one without stars. Thanks :)

Sarge Thanks for the links and pics, I'll browse the site later. :cool:

Jon Jantz
04-25-2007, 03:54 PM
Hey guys.... I'll be glad to post different variations of that graphic as well as the original Coreldraw image so you can play with it.... however, I am out of town at the moment, and do not have access to my Coreldraw or files, so it'll have to be a few days.

We'll be back the first of the week and I'll do it as quick as I can....

forqnc
04-25-2007, 04:44 PM
Awesome, it will make two older gentlemen very Happy, Thanks Jon.
You Da Man

Sarge
04-25-2007, 06:54 PM
Guys,
I posted the insignia below. All you have to do is "right click" and "save picture as". Then, just make them transparent and import into your Carvewright Designer software. CPO, Senior CPO and Master CPO are there for you to use. You don't have to wait for anyone to make them for you! I made this mpc in minutes. It should be what you're looking for.

Aye, Aye Senior Chief.

Airborne!!!!

forqnc
04-25-2007, 08:40 PM
Guys,
I posted the insignia below. All you have to do is "right click" and "save picture as". Then, just make them transparent and import into your Carvewright Designer software. CPO, Senior CPO and Master CPO are there for you to use. You don't have to wait for anyone to make them for you! I made this mpc in minutes. It should be what you're looking for.

Aye, Aye Senior Chief.

Airborne!!!!

Not taking away from your contribution Sarge, but have you carved it? It looks like it may chip out depending on the wood we use.
Also, I would like to thank you for your service time, I forgot to add this in the PM you sent me.
Again Thank you

Sarge
04-25-2007, 08:58 PM
Nope, haven't carved it yet. I "threw" these together to give you an example of what was readily available. Sure, you might need to do some adjustments.

Don't hesitate to mess with things until you get what you want. That's how I figure most things out.

First, Thank You to all of you guys who set the pace for me to follow. Thank you for the opportunity to travel the world and enjoy retirement at 38 years old. OH, BTW.... Thank you for the monthly check!!

Digitalwoodshop
04-28-2007, 12:19 PM
Thanks Sarge !!!

Chief AL

Gman_Ind
05-01-2007, 09:34 PM
Thanks for the post Sarge and congrats on the new 'job' and title. So much for your retirement.

forqnc
05-23-2007, 02:52 PM
Well I finally got it, this was due to seeing all of you perservere and learn new programs. Thanks for the inspiration.
Specially Thanks to Jon Janz for posting the original Master Chief insignia. I took a screen shot of it in designer and then traced over with Corel, without the stars. Then between learning Corel and help from our Graphic arttist at work and him showing me his programs I finally got what I wanted. It was pain staking but a refreshing learning curve to achieve what I wanted. Now I just gotta find time to carve it.
Thanks all for the inspiration.

JOHNB
05-23-2007, 09:21 PM
Hi Forgnc; Wow... You Definitely Got It.. Looks Great...congrats PS YOUR NUMBER 1 FOR SHARING IT, THANKS

ramlin
05-26-2007, 09:48 AM
You might be able to use this one.