PDA

View Full Version : All you can do is laugh!

RC Woodworks
04-24-2007, 12:29 AM
When I got my CC back from repair it still had the check cut motor issue. At first I thought well maybe it something else causing this problem other then the RPM sensor. Before I sent it in I would get the CCM at the very start of a project. When it returned it did not happen until the end and then began occurring at the start again.

I talked to Hope at CW and she thought well maybe it was overlooked and she sent a new RPM sensor to me. I installed the new sensor today and turned the machine on started a project, held my breath and ......... it happen again! The same CCM, so as usual I pressed enter and it finished the sign.

I then called CW and I must of have talked to a new tech and one not named Chris! I was beginning to think you need to be named Chris to be a tech! That was before talking to Omar! Anyway I explained my problem and what was done prior to call. Being sent in for repair and replacing the sensor minutes before calling.

His solution.... ignore it!!! I about fell out of my chair!!!! Ignore it I laughed! He said yes since it is still working and oh you can check the connection also.
LOL wow I told him I really would like to fix this rather then ignore it! He told me he understood and told me to check the wires and if it still has a CCM issue call back!

Well tomorrow I will call and hope I get a Chris or Hope! All I can do is laugh!

Rick

pamjmayo
04-24-2007, 01:30 AM
My machine has done this on every carving I've ever done. I just hit enter and ignore it. It doesn't cause any problems. The LCD says "begin carve", the machine stops, I get the cut motor message, push enter and away we go. I thought it was a software glitch.

Pam

Charles M
04-24-2007, 06:17 AM
I just hit enter and ignore it. It doesn't cause any problems.

It may not cause any real problem in that the machine will operate but to Rick's point I think it's just the aggravation of having to closely monitor the machine. I share his frustration because I have to keep listening for the machine to quit while it is carving. I would rather be able to leave it alone and come back periodically to change a bit. I hope CW has a fix that we can all learn from.

MarkJamesDesign
04-24-2007, 08:12 AM
Welcome back Rick,
I understand Rick's frustration in that if I had a problem with a $1900 tool, no matter how minor, I would not want to be told to "ignore it" by a support tech even though that is probably the simplest solution. Having said that, I would also add that in my opinion, no power tool should be left unattended while running. I may step away from my machine for a few minutes, but I am always in the shop while it is operating. After reading the flex shaft issues on this forum I always give my CC a 5 to 10 break every 30 or 40 minutes of carving. Just my opinion on the matter. Oh....and again, welcome back Rick.

Jim

meat
04-24-2007, 08:20 AM
Glad you're back!

...and laugh, and laugh and laaaaaaugh!

Your pal,
Meat.

Jeff_Birt
04-24-2007, 08:33 AM
My machine has done this too, use to do it abouit 3% into the first project I carved in a day, the others were fine. Now that it has warmed up a bit outside I have not had it occure in the last 4 projects or so (about 10 carving hours). It makes me wonder if it is related to temperature, even though I usually turned on my little heater in my 1 car shop/garage at least an hour before beginning to work, I'm sure everything was not up to 60 degrees.

I SUSPECT that when the cut motor starts when it's a bit cold and the lubricant is gelled it is turning a bit slow, let's say 19,500 RPM (the numbers are made up to illustrate my point). As the lubricant warms up with use and liquifies,the RPMs increase bit by bit until the cut speed is up to normal, let's say 20,000 RPM (again made up). Now considering that each cut motor is a bit diffrent, their speeds under the same condition could vary by 500 RPM or so between units. The control program can't just assume that 'normal' RPM range would be 20,000 +- 200 while cutting, as the motors themselves can vary by that much.

So, what might happen (what I might do ;)) is to measure the motor's speed at start up and verify that it is within the normal range of ALL cut motors, say 20,500 to 19, 500 RPM (20,000 +- 500 RPM). This initial speed would be saved (let's say it was 19,900 RPM) as a baseline and during the course of operation the control would verfiy that the motor is staying with +- 200 RPM of this value. Noramlly this would work just fine. However, if you through in the extra initial load of cold cutting cable lubricant our cut motor might only start out at 19,510 RPM as the lubricant liquifies the RPMs will increase until it reaches it 'normal warm' speed of 19,900 RPM, BUT now we have increased our cut speed more then 200 RPM from our initial measured value which might indicate a problem. So the control signals an error "Check cut motor', you look at the machine, press 'Enter' to keep going and the machine starts over, measures the initial cut speed with a now warm cable, our RPM's won't vary with warming now, and all is well.

As I said, this is all speculation based on many years of working on similar equipment. It will be interesting to see if most of these problems go away as summer draws near. Is it a problem, YES. Is it annoying, YES. Is it the end of the world and worth getting my shorts in a knot about, NO. Life is too short...

VtBlues
04-24-2007, 08:55 AM
My unit has an opposite scenario. It runs fine till about 95 percent done with the project and then I get the CCM error. Same fix though. Hit enter and it finishes the project just fine. I have a new sensor on the way but I have a hunch that this may turn out to be something in the software that is monitoring the sensor rather than a physical problem with the sensor itself.

rgant05
04-24-2007, 09:51 AM
Jeff, your situation may be as you explain it but mine would do it on every project, even if everything was still warm from the previous carve. Some have suggested a software glitch. My opinion is that it probably isn't a software "glitch" but that it COULD be solved via a software fix. They could take the "potential rpm problem signal" and test it by ignoring it in the software until it comes in again. If it does then stop the machine and put it on the screen, otherwise keep going and finish the project. Maybe they will get it right in version 1.121

Jeff_Birt
04-24-2007, 10:29 AM
Hmmm...this is getting more interesting. rgant05 does yours do this once on every carving? VtBlues mine did it only once at the end of the carving. Doe either of you have your machine on an extension cord? I do, but I 'think' it should be of sufficent guage that voltge drop would not be a problem. I'll have to check.

If anyone else is experiencing the 'Check Cut Motor' problem can you outline your experiance here? I think this form of feedback, or constructive criticism, is more valuable to CW (and us as users) than just complaining about the problem.

Kenm810
04-24-2007, 10:43 AM
My CC does it only once in the first 3 to 5% of every 5th or 6th project.
No extention cords, and the shop is 65 degrees or higher 24-7.
I hit enter to complete project.
No criticism intended, as you say, just passing along the info.

ps. It's on a dedicated line, no other machine on in

liquidguitars
04-24-2007, 12:00 PM
His solution.... ignore it!!! I about fell out of my chair!!!! Ignore it I laughed! He said yes since it is still working and oh you can check the connection also.
LOL wow I told him I really would like to fix this rather then ignore it! He told me he understood and told me to check the wires and if it still has a CCM issue call back!

I have not had this error, but if it is software and one can ignore it, why not? As new software update could will fix it soon.

We are on the ground floor with the CW as you know. The version 1.119 software fixed my homing error 246 so let’s hope same. BTW I spent hours wasting time just to remove the stupid Z flag. :rolleyes:

Lig

VtBlues
04-24-2007, 01:16 PM
No extension cords here either. Does it on every carving at about the same point (95 - 97%) and doesn't matter if its a 45 minute or 2 hour carve.

HandTurnedMaple
04-24-2007, 01:33 PM
I think the real issue here is not the error, as most (or many anyway) have it right now. I wold say the issue is the perceived flippant response of the tech (or perhaps real flippant response, I was not there). I'm sure if his statement was worded more like "As long as you can bypass the error, please continue to do so for right now. We are working on a solution for everyone and hope to have it resolved soon," then the reaction would have less negative. But as RC quotes it, it does sound rather unconcerned and gave me a forrowed brow response as well.

RC Woodworks
04-24-2007, 04:37 PM
Wow, it seems my 2 fingers typed out something different then what my mind was thinking! I was not complaining, oh thank you so much HandTurnedMaple for welcoming me back!

Anyway in no way was I complaining, I really thought it was funny! The tech I still think is new. He didn't seem unconcern, more like he didn't know what to tell me! Yes I would rather have the machine work without any problems. Even if it is minor.

Thanks Jeff for your input also, I thought about the temp issue. Each time my shop has been warm. I am medically retired and with all my injuries I have to have a warm shop. It is at least 70 degrees, the interesting thing after I press enter I can hear a RPM change. Plus now I know when I sent my CC in for repair they must of replace the sensor. Like I said when I first used it after the repair. The CCM happened near the end of the project and then occurred at the start. Then I replaced the sensor yesterday. It still had a CCM at the start.

Now today I must admit this upset me I got a 246 axis stall on a sign that was almost complete. I use old growth redwood and this was a 12" by 36" :(

Well this was interesting! I still could only laugh!

Rick

leesheridan
04-24-2007, 05:05 PM
There has been no set time in percent of carving time completed or to be completed. The only time I my step out of the shop while it's running is just for a few moments. But, It does seem that the sound of the RPM is either labored or just slower than normal when the error has occured, and when I hit enter it resumes the higher RPM. The only type of wood I have carved is yellow pine. No hard woods or plastics as of yet.

mikem
04-24-2007, 05:11 PM
I read your post and did not get from it any perceived complaining. I think there is a highly tuned radar (set to, well... I'm not sure what it is set to,) on this forum that goes off ever time someone has any problem or criticism negative or positive. I wonder why so many attack with such regularity, and sometimes with so much enthusiasm, even innocuous posts. I am unsure whether to admire their unbridled support for this machine, or be embarrassed by their lack of tolerance. These comments are not directed at anyone in particular, just an observation of the overall impression of the attitude of a (hopefully small) percentage of the forum. I would, for one, appreciate a more open exchange of ideas where I did not feel like I was walking on egg shells expressing my thoughts or that others were being suppressed for expressing their ideas.

leesheridan
04-24-2007, 05:20 PM
I'm not complaining. I'm just trying like I think so many others are, to help CW find just what is the true and finite answer to the error. If we don't say something then everything is ok? Please, if you have the same thing going on with your machine, discribe the conditions in which it's happening to help find the common problem.

Jeff_Birt
04-24-2007, 06:01 PM
OK, first it seems I may have been way off base with my suspician of a temperature related problem. I guess it could still be realted to an RPM change as the cable/lubricant heats up but that would only make sense if it happend only on the first project at the beginning. Since it is happening at the beginning and end and some folks have reported a noticable RPM increase when it restarts it seems that the problem may have other origins. I hope everyone will continue to share their own experiance with this problem.

Second, I never accused anyone of complaining, quite the opposite I shared my own experiance with this bug said I wasn't too upset about it (kind of agreeing with the OP), and later complimented the general helpful tone of the conversation...

Is it a problem, YES. Is it annoying, YES. Is it the end of the world and worth getting my shorts in a knot about, NO. Life is too short...

I think this form of feedback, or constructive criticism, is more valuable to CW (and us as users) than just complaining about the problem.

...we were all sharing experiance with a similar problem and pooling our knowledge to find a solution. This type of interaction is what the forum is about. Constructive criticism is a good thing, it helps us all get better. Anyhow, I guess we all hi-jacked the thread and made it into a troubleshooting thread. If it's OK with Rick (the OP) I'll copy the posts realted to the experiance with the problem to a new thread in Troubleshooting.

RC Woodworks
04-24-2007, 06:03 PM
I just call CW and talked to Omar. He didn't think it was funny the tech yesterday told me to ignore the CCM since it still worked! He had me remove my RPM sensor and check for the magnet in the opening under the sensor. I took a screw and it was there.

So he is sending another RPM sensor, CW last week discovered they recieved a shipment of bad sensors. I did notice when I tried to put the sensor back on , the screw would not tighten. So I wonder if it was never tight. I had to put in a different screw.

I will let you know if that made a differnce or not. Maybe those who have this problem can check the screwon their RPM sensor.

Rick

RC Woodworks
04-24-2007, 06:28 PM
Jeff, that is fine. Also I never thought you thought that I thought you though I was complaining! I just thought it was very funny....ignore it!

As I posted Omar had me check to see if the magnet under the RPM sensor was still there. It was so he said it may still be the sensor. They has a shipment of bad sensors and I may have got one.

Rick

Jeff_Birt
04-24-2007, 06:31 PM
I'll get everything copied over then. It make it much easier to search for someone else to search for answers that way. Let us know how the new sensor works out.

Termite
04-24-2007, 07:02 PM
Warning- do not stand in front of the dust bag - My first carving after upgrading to the latest software, the dust bag was blown off the machine and flew out in the yard. Glad I had the garage door open. It traveled 25'.
Every carving since this episode I get the check cut motor at the start up of every carving. It seems like it is over reving on startup and shuts down within 2 to 3 seconds. I carved four projects on one board over the weekend and I got the check cut motor on the startup of each one. Might need to look into the soft startup feature they use on the new routers. You can forget about the temperature thing because I live in Florida. I just hit the enter button and it works fine, or at least it has for the last 20 plus hrs. Oh the dust bag issue - I wait until the carving starts and then I install the dust bag.
Dan

RC Woodworks
04-24-2007, 07:29 PM
Dan, that is a first a shooting dust bag! Sorry I find that funnier then being told to ignore the CCM!! I guess you can't ignore a shooting dust bag!!!

FIRE IN THE HOLE!!!

Rick

mustang
04-24-2007, 08:31 PM
I to have gotten a motor check at almost always 8% into every carve since the first 2 I did. I hit enter and it always finishes with no additional trouble.

Fireman Phil
04-24-2007, 08:46 PM
I also get the 'Check Cut Motor' error at 3 to 5%. It started after Designer 1.120 upgrade. Never had that problem before. It is aggrevating, but not as bad as that wobbly bit problem I recently had!!

-Phil

RC Woodworks
04-24-2007, 09:21 PM
I to have gotten a motor check at almost always 8% into every carve since the first 2 I did. I hit enter and it always finishes with no additional trouble.

Sounds just like mine. Everytime I use it I get the CCM at about the same percent. I haven't tried using it since I discovered the screw holding the RPM sensor would not tighten. It is tight now, but maybe being loose it blew out the sensor?

If we all stick together we are going to beat these issues and have a perfectly running machine!

Rick

MarkJamesDesign
04-24-2007, 10:01 PM
Darn it! I feel left out. My CC only stops when I tell it to and I've tried everything I can think of to get my dust bag to fly across the yard. It just ain't happenin". Maybe if I got me one of them funny lookin' hats....hmmmm.

Will try the shootin' dust bag again tomorrow. Would be a great way to exercise my dog while I carve.

Jim

rgant05
04-24-2007, 10:10 PM
Wow, this thread has got a lot of post since last night. Jeff, you were asking when mine happened. I never looked at the percentage of completion, but I don't think it ever gets to 3 or 5%. It happens like clockwork about 30 seconds into every carve. Now I will confess that I have talked to CW and they suspected the sensor, magnet or maybe even the motor. They sent a new motor assembly, but I haven't taken time to change it out. They wanted to get the whole assembly back to try to analyse the problem. Of all the problems you can have this is the best one you can have because its the least "offensive" LOL Mine always completes the carve after pressing enter to continue. Its irritating but now carve stopping. I still think that a software fix might be a good candidate, but they have to find out the source first.

Roger

RC Woodworks
04-24-2007, 11:27 PM
Roger, you are right this thread is way longer then I expected it would be. I really posted for the new tech's telling me to ignore the problem. What a great laugh I had with it!

I am happy we are getting somewhere sharing all we have experienced. Mine is like yours, like clock work everytime I start a project it stops about 30 seconds into the carve. Then I press enter and it finishes, except today I started that 2 part oval project. It gave me a 246 Y axis error UGH!

Plus now I really see what you were saying about the oval halves. The top sign, side border was thinner on the left then right. So I re designed it and I think I got it right. I have designed 2 with just the outside and inside oval. I wasted 2- 12" X 36" old growth redwood boards. So I have 2 test pieces now!!!

Old growth redwood is too expensive and difficult to obtain. So I hope no more 246 Y axis error!

Rick

rgant05
04-24-2007, 11:37 PM
Its interesting that so many people have had the problem and so little talk about it. I guess its just like mine is for me.... its an irritant but not a show stopper. I could live with it if it never got worse but would like to get it fixed if possible..

forqnc
04-25-2007, 08:55 AM
Hi, I am a CC addict and I have a Check Cut Motor problem. :p

Actually I don't, but I am glad to see threads like this in case in the future I do have the problem. Thanks to all for compiling all this info for us to learn and improve.

jspringertx
04-25-2007, 06:15 PM
I had my first error message this week. I just pressed enter and it finished the project without any problem. I don't know if it was related to the temp or not, but as long as it continues to run I am happy.

By the way, Omar is a great tech with a good sense of humor. He is new, but really has had some great training. Besides, he is bigger than me and I don't want to tick him off.

forqnc
04-25-2007, 06:41 PM
Hi, I am a CC addict and I have a Check Cut Motor problem.

Yes I am quoting myself, who sent the Hex my way. Just got the check CCM fault, :( hit enter and still carving so far.:rolleyes:

RC Woodworks
04-25-2007, 07:03 PM
See what ya get!!!!! :)

Rick

forqnc
04-25-2007, 08:31 PM
See what ya get!!!!! :)

Rick
Yeah! (posted evil icon here)
She finished the first carving, then went to do a second and I got the dreaded CCM error. Mine now only does the first pass and gives the error.
RC I know we took away from your original post, but something I did notice with mine, is it now has a ramp up speed when measuring the board. Don't know if it was a fault with the wood or related to the CCM fault. I'll post when I carve another piece.
Sorry to change the thread direction, but I just thought posting this info may help CW correct the problem if they know all info involved.
Oh it did finish the second carving after hitting "Enter" :cool:

RC Woodworks
04-25-2007, 11:55 PM
No problem at all, this is great. We are going to fix this CCM bug or we can ignore it!!!!!!

Rick

Hexe SA
04-26-2007, 03:45 PM
All I get is clean Y Axis about 95 %. I clean and vacuum, hit enter and gives the same error message about 4 times, evenso there isn't a speck of dust in sight. After 4 times it keeps carving the rest without a hitch.

RC Woodworks
04-27-2007, 01:09 AM
All I get is clean Y Axis about 95 %. I clean and vacuum, hit enter and gives the same error message about 4 times, evenso there isn't a speck of dust in sight. After 4 times it keeps carving the rest without a hitch.

Hexe, I got that also so I took off the plastic covers on the rollers. Then clean them and the rails with a car detailing brush. The brush you use to clean the vent slots. Plus I wiped it down on the left to right track. I sprayed some dry lube to help the bit lever and for the truck to travel. So I think I left some on it.

Rick

RBeau1954
04-27-2007, 12:18 PM
I get the CCM error on every project at about 50% into it and hit enter and it finishes the job. Not a big deal but like one poster said, you can't leave a project going without being around. I am sure CW monitors some of these post so does anyone there have an answer or are they coming up with a software fix for this one.

Rick (The other Rick)

jwhllh55
04-28-2007, 09:38 PM
I just received a new memory card from the factory and My machine will not read the new card, my other card, the one that came with the machine works fine.
Has anyone had the same problem. I have formatted the new card and from my computer the card works fine, but when installed in my machine it will not read or boot the machine. All I get are black squares with no response from the machine.
Anyone have a clue?
John Hammett

liquidguitars
04-28-2007, 09:47 PM
All I get are black squares with no response from the machine.

Could be the USB dock. Also I am wondering if CW has a low level format option to repair the card...

Give them a call and see. ;)

LG