PDA

View Full Version : Flex Shaft

pamjmayo
04-23-2007, 01:33 PM
Has anyone had their flex shaft (inside metal core) break off? I had the first one do that and got a new one last week. Started carving this morning and the second one broke. Obviously this isn't a problem with the shaft but something else. HELP

Bill
04-23-2007, 01:53 PM
I asume your talking about the shaft and not the spring liner. I had one start to twist but could feel it heating up and stoped before it did twist off. This is the first I have read about just breaking off.

I would give CW a call.

FINGERS
04-23-2007, 01:54 PM
I got a new machine last week and as I was setting it up I checked the flexshaft and it was dry no lub good thing I checked it, is your cc new?

pamjmayo
04-23-2007, 01:56 PM
I checked the metal portion and it was oiled so I don't think that's the problem.

Pam

leesheridan
04-23-2007, 04:07 PM
What type of material are you carving?

pamjmayo
04-23-2007, 04:08 PM
just 1" wood. weird huh?

Jeff_Birt
04-23-2007, 04:12 PM
Do you have any pictures of the broken shaft?

pamjmayo
04-23-2007, 05:22 PM
I'll go take one right now

HandTurnedMaple
04-23-2007, 05:27 PM
Does the bit turn freely by hand (don't cut yourself)? Most obvious answer to me is the motor is turning the cable, but the head is seized up.

nicobie
04-23-2007, 06:37 PM
I have had a CW since 5/2/06 and have sent the thing back 2 times and I still have problems.

It looks like I will be ignored. They call it beta machines and they won't back up anything. This is a continuing problem. My machine is a un-working POS. cable gets hot after 20 min. And it won't work with a piece of wood over 20 inches long.

I will try to call up Chris, but as usual he won't respond. (You would think that somebody would call me after all my complaints)

nick.obermire@gmail.com

The owner even said that he would take care of the beta testers, but for some reason has not.

I guess it's time to rant. I spent a lot of money for somebody else's dream.

pamjmayo
04-23-2007, 07:19 PM
I've been trying to send a picture using the manage attachments at the bottom of this. Don't know if it's working or not. I appreciate the idea of the head seizing up. I talked to Hope at CC and she said I am supposed to turn the quick chuck when I install the cable in the head. I haven't been doing that, but I've never done it. I think there must be more to it. Since the cable is broken, I can't try testing the head like you suggested. How do I check to see if the head is seizing?

BobHill
04-23-2007, 07:57 PM
Pamjmayo,

You turn the bit head manually and should be able to feel if it's binding at all, with or without the cable. I believe it's more likely to have been the cable itself from having a lack of lubricant more than the head, unless you can feel restriction in the head.

The reason you turn the head when putting the cable back is so the square end can fit into the square hole for it. If it doesn't go in, then the cable is going to not turn the head. I don't see it binding and would "guess" that it can't bind that way, but certainly could be wrong.

Bob Hill

HandTurnedMaple
04-23-2007, 11:00 PM
You should be able to spin the quickchuck by hand and feel very little resistance since you don't have a cable in.

As far as installing the cable, you need to rotate the cable so that the square end slips into the square hole on the motor. Then when you push it into the head, you need to rotate the quickchuck so that the square end slips into the square slot.

But looking at that pic, it looks like it twisted apart. Which end broke, the end by the motor or the end by the head?

pamjmayo
04-24-2007, 01:45 AM
The end by the motor broke and it also spit out the bit at the same time.

rjustice
04-24-2007, 07:50 AM
Pam,

Did it also spit out the bit the first time it broke?... and if so, did it gouge it deeply into the wood?... perhaps the bit is comming loose and causing it to jam, which in turn is stalling the motor, breaking the shaft???

Maybe the cause is a problem with your chuck locking the bit in securely.

Ron

HandTurnedMaple
04-24-2007, 09:22 AM
Your description also leads to me to believe something is not kosher with the QC. When you load the bit, can you wiggle it at the tip (use gloves so you don't cut yourself)? Also, when the chuck is 'locked' down, can you still see the inner ring? You shouldn't be able to.

pamjmayo
04-24-2007, 03:41 PM
I can turn the bit freely so I have that question answered but I still need to see if the Chuck release is working properly. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Pam

BobHill
04-24-2007, 03:45 PM
Another point to look for is WAS the bit solidly locked into the quick release (lock tite) or perhaps was it loose and thus the head didn't read the pressure?

Bob

pamjmayo
04-24-2007, 04:03 PM
I just went out and looked at it again. With the bit in the chuck I can see the square that sits on top of the Circle part. Is that the way it's suppose to be?

pamjmayo
04-24-2007, 04:05 PM
I just thought of something else. I used a new bit and tightened it into the shaft with an allen wrench. I think I remember reading that others have glued it in place using something. Maybe I didn't install the bit into the shaft correctly?

Also, When talking to Liz at sales, she said she has 4 router bits in stock in case any of you are wanting to buy one.

pamjmayo
04-24-2007, 04:09 PM
To: HandTurned Maple, no the bit doesn't wiggle. It's in there good and tight. By the way, I think my bird just gave me some info to explain why I might need to change my haircolor. She asked me what time it is and I actually looked at my watch and answered her. It seems to go right along with me doing my own troubleshooting.

HandTurnedMaple
04-24-2007, 04:55 PM
I still find it hard to believe that you would have gotten 2 bad cables, although it is remotely possible. But at this point, I am out of suggestions. Perhaps its time to ask the bird for help, he sounds bored anyway.

benluz
04-25-2007, 05:52 AM
This might torque the cable opposite the way it is wound causing failure?Just a thought.
Ben

forqnc
04-25-2007, 08:36 AM
This might torque the cable opposite the way it is wound causing failure?Just a thought.
Ben
Just a comment to add to this, can the cable be put in "backwards". Meaning is there a Motor end and Chuck end, due to the winding direction.

Bill
04-25-2007, 08:52 AM
No the cable can not be put in backwards. CW had me turn mine end for end.

forqnc
04-25-2007, 08:59 AM
Thanks Bill