PDA

View Full Version : Cardreader blew out USB

Jon Jantz
04-22-2007, 06:47 PM
Has this happened to anyone else? I inserted the card into the USB reader and simultaneously my keyboard and mouse stopped working. Unplugged the reader but still no worky... rebooted the computer and now when it POSTs it comes up with Keyboard Failure. Tried all the different USB ports and the same thing is happening. Keyboard works fine on another machine which tells me it blew out the USB controller on the motherboard.

I guess I'll have to get a PCI USB card to get me by, I can't afford to send my machine to Dell (it's under warranty) or even be down for a day if they were to send me the motherboard.... this also sucks because now my front USB ports won't work.

Next question, was this just a freak surge from the card reader or is it going to fry the new card the second I plug it in?

Jon Jantz
04-22-2007, 07:02 PM
Well, I spoke too soon. I had turned my machine completely off and left it sit for 20 seconds and then rebooted probably four times with the same results, none of the USB peripherals would work... I then decided to completely unplug the machine and let it sit for a few minutes, and when I plugged it back in and turned it on, everything is working again.

I don't know if it gave a static electricity surge to my USB controller than confused it and the plugging and unplugging uncharged it or what... Really strange, but glad it's back working.

Digitalwoodshop
04-22-2007, 08:07 PM
Jon,

It happened to me too. I have a USB hub off the laptop and a RF mouse in another USB on the computer. I plug my card reader in next to the USB device. Plugged in the reader and the mouse went dead. Nothing worked, had to pull the battery and reboot. The open Designer file that I had saved was gone too.... Don't understand that.... A saved file should still be there.....?

Only once but I believe it was static, as I was previously sanding PVC to apply vinyl.

AL

HandTurnedMaple
04-22-2007, 10:32 PM
Happened to me early on a couple of times. I ended up calling Dell Tech Support, and lied when they asked if I installed something new. Anyway the quickest fix is to shut down, unplug all USB devices, boot up with just keyboard and mouse, then plug the others in one at a time.

It is my understanding that the USB only has so much power available for all devices and the card reader sucks it down. In response to that I bought a Belkin Hi-Speed USB 2.0 7-port hub. It supplies additional power from an AC adapter. I haven't had any trouble since.

Jeff_Birt
04-22-2007, 10:56 PM
We use Dell's almost exclusivly at work. The front USB ports on the GX240-280 vintage case is a PITA not only do you have to stand on your head to plug something in but at times they just die (the rear ones too die too). I've had this happen for no apparent reason, same stuff plugged in with the machine running for 2-3 weeks and it will die. With the front ports I think the problem comes from the strange angle the plug is at. USB ports 'should' be able to provide 1/2 amp per device, when the device is plugged in it will ask for the amount of power it needs and the controller 'should' say OK (or not). The controller should never just die. Methinks it's a bug on Dell's part.