PDA

View Full Version : X encoder problem?

nodwell
04-22-2007, 08:32 AM
Started a project this morning. Everything is fine for the first half dozen or so passes then bit starts making much deeper cut (approximately 1/8” deeper each pass) and stopping point shifts about one inch to front of machine. Is this the infamous z-encoder problem? Is there anything I can check before calling CW tomorrow?

Thanks
Don

benluz
04-23-2007, 08:11 PM
about the only thing you could check is to pull the black cover off the back of the z-motor,behind that is the encoder, take a soft cloth and clean both side of the clear disc with the increments on it,second check th solder joints,to be they are still securely holding the circuit board in place and are not loose giving an internment connection, third check and make sure the clear disc is centered between the the encoder reader. the disc is just a pressure fit and you can pry it up or down, don't scratch the plastic....of course this is all done with the cover off.Mine did the same thing the other week and I replaced the encoder and it worked fine.....hope this helps.Oh...typically they send the encoder motor as a assembly,I always get just then encoder and solder it myself.But if this is your first the assembly with motor is the easiest.
Ben