PDA

View Full Version : Finally got a ship notice

pkunk
04-21-2007, 09:35 PM
I'm going to have a machine again by next Thurs!:D It's been a month today, and although I've been busy, I miss it. I made a major shop improvement that I've been wanting for a long time. I got a like new Shelix cutterhead for my 8" jointer for $200 that retail for $400 + shipping so it was a steal. 54 - 4 faced carbide cutters on an angle that shear the wood cleanly. Wow, what a difference! Even highly figured wood is shaved to a glass like finish with no chip out. Now I want one for my planer.

mtylerfl
04-21-2007, 11:04 PM
Hello Pkunk,

That Shelix cutterhead for your jointer looks fantastic. Sounds like you're lovin' it!

Glad to hear you're going to get your machine back soon, too!

HandTurnedMaple
04-22-2007, 10:32 AM
That's impressive. My jointer made my left thumb a 1/2" shorter a couple of years ago, but it was a very uneven cut. :( The Shelix looks like it would have cut it off smooth and even. :D I'm jealous.

Digitalwoodshop
04-22-2007, 12:24 PM
Very Nice !!! A friend up the road has the business selling the Disposable Planer Blades to places like Grizzley. Another very nice product.

AL

Greybeard
04-22-2007, 01:46 PM
That's impressive. My jointer made my left thumb a 1/2" shorter a couple of years ago, but it was a very uneven cut. :( The Shelix looks like it would have cut it off smooth and even. :D I'm jealous.

"I didn't need to know that. Kindly leave the stage."

John

RC Woodworks
04-23-2007, 12:31 AM
Wow, Paul that is cool! I just have a bench top jointer. I have a jointability system. With my sign shop I glue up signs and this system is great for perfect square edges. You place both boards in the system and use your router with a cutting bit and it squares both edges at one time. You can also make dados and rabbit joints with it.

The bummer it is over 8 feet long so you have to have room in your shop for it. Again that blade is a good ideal glad to hear you bought it for a good deal!

Rick

DDV
04-23-2007, 12:58 AM
I'm going to have a machine again by next Thurs!:D It's been a month today, and although I've been busy, I miss it. I made a major shop improvement that I've been wanting for a long time. I got a like new Shelix cutterhead for my 8" jointer for $200 that retail for $400 + shipping so it was a steal. 54 - 4 faced carbide cutters on an angle that shear the wood cleanly. Wow, what a difference! Even highly figured wood is shaved to a glass like finish with no chip out. Now I want one for my planer.

pkunk:

If you don't mind. What does a set of replacement cutters cost? If you should brake, chip or damage a single cutter can you replace the single damaged cutter or do you have to change the whole set? I keep looking at them, but, ($$$)?
DDV

Jeff_Birt
04-23-2007, 08:51 AM
DDV, (no I'm not pkunk but.....) they are indexable cutters with four sides. So if you damage them or they get sull the cutter(s) can be unscrewed and turned 90 deg.

pkunk
04-23-2007, 09:03 AM
pkunk:

If you don't mind. What does a set of replacement cutters cost? If you should brake, chip or damage a single cutter can you replace the single damaged cutter or do you have to change the whole set? I keep looking at them, but, ($$$)?
DDV
They do have 4 edges, but to replace them when they're all dull is $24 for a set of 10. Quite reasonable considering that there's 4 cutting edges per. My expenses for having regular HS steel blades sharpened have run close to $100 a yr.

Charles M
04-23-2007, 09:14 AM
Paul,

Some carbide inserts can also be sharpened at a reasonable cost. Might be worth checking when you get through the four edges.

pkunk
04-23-2007, 09:51 AM
Paul,

Some carbide inserts can also be sharpened at a reasonable cost. Might be worth checking when you get through the four edges.
I wouldn't even think about it on a jointer head as the size would be reduced just in that area. Besides, the cost of replacing 'em is minimal at $2.40 ea (that's 4 edges). I tend to use just the left 1" of cutter most of the time so only a few will get the wear.

Charles M
04-23-2007, 10:13 AM
That makes sense. I was thinking of having them all sharpened as a set but I see what you mean about the ones closest to the fence getting the most wear and needing replacements.

kerfster
04-23-2007, 10:46 AM
Paul,

It IS true that you can sharpen carbide inserts but you would have to have the ENTIRE set sharpened at the same time. The inserts used on indexable tools have edges precisely (±0.0002") positioned relative to fiducials pressed into, or sticking out from the non-cutting faces. These sometimes look like odd little pyramids or cubes. When you install a set of inserts, the fiducials mate with features on the holder to make sure that all of the cutting edges form a smooth helical "flute". If even one of the "teeth" is not cutting in the same plane, there goes your glass like finish and MUCH lower noise. The fact that your tool has 3 or 4 "flutes" mitigates this problem somewhat, but if enough "teeth" are out of spec, things will start to look a tad shoddy.

Charles M
04-23-2007, 11:36 AM
kerfster,

I guess Freud needs to start making jointer and planer heads. We have a patented knife mounting system for insert cutter heads that auto adjusts for the amount removed in sharpening called IsoProfil:
http://www.freud.it/eng/prod01.asp?nwp=18

liquidguitars
04-23-2007, 11:52 AM
Received my CW back last week but I needed a replacement QC. replaced it this weekend.

After setting up one of my guitar parts, my repaired unit runs way better across the board even the CPU seems faster. THX CW! :)

Lig

Gman_Ind
04-25-2007, 09:31 PM
I used to like the cutter head (http://www.woodmastertools.com/NS/accessdetail.cfm?PID=90) on the woodmaster, A guy I do business with was selling one. He sold it and went with a Grizzly (http://www.grizzly.com/products/category.aspx?key=78). BTW grizzly is having a sale on spiral cutter heads.

pkunk
04-25-2007, 10:14 PM
That's very similar to the Byrd Shelix I got. The shearing cut is incredablely smooth, even through knots or figured grain. BTW, I'm selling my Woodmaster 38" sander. Looking at a widebelt as an upgrade.
My CW came in today & despite an out-of-the-box malfunction of the first magnitude, got it up and running this afternoon for a couple of quick $$ makers. The crank system had been repaired :confused: :rolleyes: to the point of total inoperable condition. A couple of hours of cussin' and a return call from Chris Rawls got me together again. And of course just like the rest of you, I have the CCM shutdowns, the "dreaded" 246 error, and check cut motor again. No harm done, just anoying. :D It works!:D

banshee_z71
08-15-2007, 02:12 AM
Kind of new to Shelix. I was thinking about getting one from Bryd but there website is horrible. I did find them on http://www.ballewsawandtool.com/shop/shelix.html Is one brand a lot better than another? Sorry if thes has been asked before.