PDA

View Full Version : Review of the precisebits.com carving bit

Jeff_Birt
04-20-2007, 02:57 PM
I have been testing one of the new 1/16" ball nose carving bits now being offerd by precisebits.com (http://www.precisebits.com/products/carbidebits/taperedcarve250b4f.asp?txtsearchParamTxt=tapered&txtsearchParamCat=ALL&I1.x=0&I1.y=0&txtsearchParamType=ALL&iLevel=1&txtsearchParamMan=ALL&txtsearchParamVen=ALL&txtFromSearch=fromSearch). There was a thread about this bit a week or so ago and I promised a more thourough review. I asked precisebits some questions and have inserted the answers I recieved. In general the new bit works very well and I would reccomend it to anyone. It's nice that we now have a US made alternative to the OEM bit.

I have found the carving bit to work very well. I have carved with it in a variety of ‘difficult’ woods including soft maple and poplar. In general the pieces have been a bit easier to clean up, flat bottomed pockets have come out especially nice. Considering the machine carves in a 'raster' method, climb milling one direction, conventional milling the other I'm not sure much could be done to improve the slight fuzz left on difficult woods without more control over the tool path (something like a more traditional rough and finish pass).

Softwoods HAVE to be conventionally milled, or climb cut at a VERY slow feed. Of course, going that slow will burn the wood and reduce the life of the bit.
From a qualitative analysis I would say the bit is defiantly quieter. I did do a simple test with a dB Meter (only a Radio Shack unit) carving a two sided project, using the OEM bit and the new bit on alternating sides. A reduction of 1-2 dB was noted at distances of 1’, 3’ and at the spindle drive cable slot. The machine seemed to vibrate a bit more with the OEM bit as well but this observation was rather seat-of-the pants and no formal method of confirming this was investigated

Q: I would assume that the bits now offered for sale come sans the bit adapter,I think someone reported such on the forum as well; and the production bit has only one flat spot?.

The production bit has only one flat spot (called a Weldon flat) because the way that we mount the bits in an adapter benefits from having a clean cylindrical surface to seat against the cylindrical bore of the adapter. Using our technique for mounting the bits virtually eliminates diagonal (azimuthal) runout in favor of the much smaller offset (radial) runout.
Q:In the documentation accompanying the bit I received it was stated that heat release super glue was used to lock the bit in place. Can you share a brand name for this type of glue (or perhaps you carry it and I just did not see it on you web site.)

it is sold by LocTite under the ahporism "Loctite® Control Goof-Proof Super Glue" at Home Depot. It works quite well for securing the bits, even if they do not have a Weldon flat. We have not had a tool break loose since we started using it. Being based on a cyanoacrylate monomer, the bond degrades somewhere between 80° and 100°C, a temperature easily reached with a hot air gun (e.g. MHT Model 750).

Charles M
04-20-2007, 03:15 PM
Jeff,

Thanks for posting the reivew. Excellent information!! Also, now that the price of the bits has gone to $40 from CarveWright these seem to be a better buy as long as they hold up at least 75% as long. I look forward to hearing about the longevity.

Jeff_Birt
04-20-2007, 03:27 PM
Well, they claim...on their website.

Anticipated Life - depends on material being cut (min 50,000 in, western red cedar)

They actaully have a LOT of good reference information on the site too.

Dan-Woodman
04-20-2007, 04:02 PM
Since they only have one flat spot , that would make the tightening screw stick out further on one side than on the other creating an off balance situation.
What would be this company's responce to this?

Greybeard
04-20-2007, 04:23 PM
Since they only have one flat spot , that would make the tightening screw stick out further on one side than on the other creating an off balance situation.

Grind Down the "long" screw ?

John :)

Charles M
04-20-2007, 04:26 PM
Grind Down the "long" screw ?

John :)

Get a shorter screw?

Jeff_Birt
04-20-2007, 04:38 PM
I understand they are working on a tutorial about properly mounting the 'one-flat-spot' bit. I'll let you guys know when I find out more about it.

radsquirrel
04-20-2007, 05:01 PM
I have used the bits in walnut, white oak, zebra, teak and pine (pine is used only as test cuts before I use the good wood), and they are outstanding. They are VERY sharp, cut clean and leave a very nice finish. They took 2 days to get to CA and I alternate between two of them to wear them at an even rate. I did not notice any out of balance conditions due to the screw offset. I have only carved them for about 5 hours or so.

woody-ct
04-20-2007, 06:30 PM
Just received my bit today from CW, the 1/16" carving, and it has four flutes just like the Precise bit. I check my original CW bit and it had only three so it seems that either CW has another source or it has obtained the Precise bits for resale

pkunk
04-20-2007, 06:49 PM
Just received my bit today from CW, the 1/16" carving, and it has four flutes just like the Precise bit. I check my original CW bit and it had only three so it seems that either CW has another source or it has obtained the Precise bits for resale
I couldn't say for a fact, but I know that Precisebits was talking about this with the CEO of CW.

kerfster
04-23-2007, 10:55 AM
Get a shorter screw?
No need to grind it down. The unequal mass distribution caused by the screw sticking out is VERY small compared to non-uniformity found in the production Quick Change chuck/adapter system. In other words, you will never see the difference. This is evidenced by the fact that these tools cut MUCH quieter, in spite of the bit offset.

leesheridan
04-23-2007, 11:41 AM
I've ordered the bits with a price of $29.95 US. They also have a minimum order of $50.00, so you need to order two.

liquidguitars
04-23-2007, 11:41 AM
I couldn't say for a fact, but I know that Precisebits was talking about this with the CEO of CW.

Nice to have some parts made in the old USA :o thanks Precisebits.

Bill
04-24-2007, 06:32 PM
I am impressed!

I received my new bits from precisebits. (http://www.precisebits.com/products/carbidebits/taperedcarve250b4f.asp?txtsearchParamTxt=tapered&txtsearchParamCat=ALL&I1.x=0&I1.y=0&txtsearchParamType=ALL&iLevel=1&txtsearchParamMan=ALL&txtsearchParamVen=ALL&txtFromSearch=fromSearch)com (http://www.precisebits.com/products/carbidebits/taperedcarve250b4f.asp?txtsearchParamTxt=tapered&txtsearchParamCat=ALL&I1.x=0&I1.y=0&txtsearchParamType=ALL&iLevel=1&txtsearchParamMan=ALL&txtsearchParamVen=ALL&txtFromSearch=fromSearch) last week Tuesday and have been running it fairly steady I am well satisfied with the performance and have to agree with Jeff they are much more quite and leave a lot less fuzz and the bits are a lot sharper then the bits that came original with the machine I believe the fuzz that is left is do to the run out or slight wobble of the chuck. Today I ordered the 1/4" Ball-nose, and these bits are made in the USA. (Colorado)

ramlin
04-26-2007, 09:20 AM
Woody,
Does the bit adapter have a longer screw on one side, or can
you tell if it is in fact a precisebit?

RC Woodworks
04-26-2007, 01:20 PM
I asked about CW about the notches in their bits. I was told it was notched because of it being carbide. The screw will not pentetrate the shaft like with a steel shank.

So if the shank is steel it will work without needing to modifying it.

Rick

woody-ct
04-26-2007, 06:35 PM
Ramlin

The screw head on one side is out just a tiny bit more than the other telling me that the bit has only one flat spot. Since I received it this way, with adapter, from CW I can only "assume" that there isn't enough mass to interfere with the balance.

ramlin
04-26-2007, 07:26 PM
Thanks for the input. I just got my second machine, and the
bit only has three flukes, and I was thinking of ordering
a 1/6 carving bit from PreciseBit and give it a try. The
posts I have read about them, seem to indicate they do a little
more precise cutting than the CW bit with three flukes.

woody-ct
04-26-2007, 07:43 PM
I order two (minimum) and just recieved them yesterday. My machine is out for repair, coming back next week, so I'll try them then. Not realizing that CW was shipping the same bit under their name, the two I have will be backups. FYI, even though Precise bits are less money, they charge also $12.00 for shipping and handling adding another $ 6.00 to each bit, and you don't get a bit holder

Gman_Ind
05-01-2007, 10:03 AM
Based on everyones input I ordered 4 bits to try out, the tapered ballnose is listed as being compatible with Compucarve and CarveWright .
I hope these will outlast the first sets of bits I went through
Thanks to Jeff B. for starting this thread and for the clear review.