PDA

View Full Version : can you "fool" the machine about bits?

lmatthews
04-20-2007, 12:51 PM
Hi all,

I hate to post a question as my first post, but I will say to start that we bought the compu-carve machine a couple of weeks ago, and the ONLY problems we are having so far are related to software and trying to learn what is going to work best in the actual carving compared to what we see on the screen....I know that is just going to take time, experience, and trial and error! We have actually turned out about half dozen respectable pieces so far!

With that said, I am experimenting with text.....I would like to have just an outline of the letters to avoid chipping etc....We have a V-bit on order to do the outline version, but while waiting for that I have done the inverted text....selected my paths and set the path bit to 1/6" ball, since the option to choose the carving bit is not there. Can we "pretend" to put in the ball bit and leave the carving bit in and get any performance from the machine?

I will experiment and see what happens later this evening, but thought someone here might know the answer and save me some time and lumber! ;)

Thanks in advance....and I promise to post some pictures when we get a chance!

Lisa (aka basketcase)

Charles M
04-20-2007, 01:11 PM
I believe the 1/16" ball bit is the same as the carving bit.

MarkJamesDesign
04-20-2007, 01:16 PM
I agree. I am about 99.9 percent sure the 1/16 ballnose is the carving bit.

lmatthews
04-20-2007, 02:45 PM
Thanks for the quick responses! I'm not sure if you are correct...I'll experiment with that later...but I did find that I just selected the 1/6 carving bit when the option was offered, and it worked just fine....the lettering that would have taken about 2 hours to carve with rasterize option, only took about 30 minutes, and it very legible, with no chipping! Yippee! Now if I can just get my graphics under control, we'll have it made. I am finding that I am trying to do WAY too much detail....I need to remember the KISS method...LOL. I am using photoshop, and am making progress. Hopefully I'll have pictures to post soon.

Again thanks to all who make this forum possible. It makes the learning curve on the machine and software much easier to handle. I've already answered most of my own questions just by searching and reading.

Lisa (aka Basketcase)

lmatthews
04-20-2007, 02:46 PM
btw.....sorry about the "aka Baketcase"...I forgot I didn't use my usual screen name in this forum! LOL

Lisa