PDA

View Full Version : Routing Question

ljdm
04-20-2007, 09:10 AM
Observation - I drew a rectangle, selected 1/" bit, depth .063 . The cuts on the end of the board sides of the rectangle came out 1/16" wider(cut was 3/16" wide) than the edge cuts (edge of board sides of rectangle)which were 1/8" I allowed plenty of room on the ends - 4", and 1" on the edges. Any thoughts?

Charles M
04-20-2007, 10:45 AM
Sounds to me like the machine is not reading the board length/location correctly. There is a brass roller on the side next to the LCS panel between the sand paper belts that measures the board and remembers the location. If the board is not in constant contact with this roller it will cause a problem like you describe. Potential causes that I know of from personal experience are:

1.Warped, cupped or rough board not staying in contact with roller
Solution: use better wood

2.Not enough head pressure
Solution: Check the pressure with a bathroom scale and look in the troubleshooting section for method to adjust (EDIT: it should be 75-85lbs)

3.Board too long and/or not supported sufficiently
Solution: For shorter boards (less than 30" length) adjust the height of the rollers on the machine to make sure they are aligned with the bed of the machine. For longer boards use roller stands or other means of supporting on both infeed and outfeed sides.

CallNeg151
04-20-2007, 10:53 AM
I think the amount we are looking for is around 75-85 lbs. I suspect that 150 lbs might cause the sandpaper rollers to rip.

See:
http://www.carvewright.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2489
Look at post #5. It's by one of the hardware techs at LHR, who used to frequent the forum.

Charles M
04-20-2007, 10:58 AM
I think the amount we are looking for is around 75-85 lbs. I suspect that 150 lbs might cause the sandpaper rollers to rip.

See:
http://www.carvewright.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2489
Look at post #5. It's by one of the hardware techs at LHR, who used to frequent the forum.

Doh! Thanks for the correction. My old mind isn't as sharp as it once was.