PDA

View Full Version : Machine says it wants to scan (but I don't have a probe)

Semper Fi
04-19-2007, 09:50 AM
I got my new carving motor installed and carved one project to 98% without a hitch, gave me a Check Cutting Motor message and completed after I hit start. I attempted to try the Last Supper again. The motor didn't give the bit a test spin when I inserted it, like it usually does, and I got a Check Cutting Motor error on the start of the project. I hit enter and away it went........ at 14% done the Z Axis error 246 came up. I hit stop and It came up with (1) Scan Area. (Now maybe the machine knows I'm salivating waiting for Sears probes to come in stock, but I highly doubt that! :) ) Anyhow, not being one to defy the mighty CC's instructions, I hit 1 and the Z Truck jogged up and down maybe 1/2 inch and presented me with another Z Axis 246 error. I turned the machine off and moved the Z Truck up and down... it felt normal... also tried it under power to the machine and again felt the normal resistance. I turned the machine off and even unplugged it for at least a minute, before powering back up. It powered back up with the "(1) Scan Area" in the window. Now at this point I had enough and turned the machine off, removed the card, and retired to my tap system to ponder my next move. (Doesn't make me smarter, only makes me think I'm smarter! :))

I'm thinking, it must be a software glitch and proceeded to format the card and reinstall the 1.120 firmware. Next morning I head for the shop, thinking how smart I've been solving this problem all by myself.....NOT! Again the machine comes up with the Scan Area option displayed and an immediate Z Axis 246 error when I hit 1. Ok, Butter Fingers, you probably knocked something loose when you replaced the cutting motor! So, I proceed to take off the cover and check everything I could see or feel... nothing seemed loose or off. I opened the Z Motor and blew out the sensor just for kicks and sealed the ole girl back up.... Voila, the correct "Project" display was on the screen and it carved up until 99% of the LS was done. I then got the Check Carve Motor message, hit enter and it completed. (I'm thinking this is a bug in 1.120 that a lot of people have had.... no big deal.)

Now I know this was a long post, but maybe this makes sense to someone who has had this scenerio. I can't bother CW with a machine that "was failing, but now it ain't" call.

Anybody seen anything like this? I'm sure I'm not done with this problem.

Ernie

Jeff_Birt
04-19-2007, 09:58 AM
Ernie, the phantom 1) Scan Area display is casued by one of two things, a pinched board sensor cable or a problem with the small circuit board in the Z-truck (the one the home sensor is on and that the probe plugs into). CW has been telling folks to unplug the small ribbon cable the goes down to the Z-truck (from the bottom of the small circuit board by the Z-axis motor).

Semper Fi
04-19-2007, 10:14 AM
Thanks, Jeff! That makes sense because my homming sensor got broke when it hit the air deflecter after I replaced my Z Motor. That's why I went to 1.120 firmware. It is just hanging there and might be shorting out.

Ernie

rjustice
04-19-2007, 03:02 PM
Hey Jeff,
Is that a basset hound in your avatar?... if so why the rocket attached??? LMAO... My wife is very curious about this as she is an avid basset hound lover.

Ron

ps... there have been times i would like to have sent ours into space... LOL

Jeff_Birt
04-19-2007, 03:10 PM
Ron, it's just a funny picture that I found some years back. I kind of feel like the dog at times, lots of grand ideas and no way to carry them through :)

rjustice
04-19-2007, 03:13 PM
Sorry to be off topic... it just hit me what it was and i got a good laugh going... showed it to my wife and she was concerned...LOL

Ron

liquidguitars
04-19-2007, 05:36 PM
Ron, it's just a funny picture that I found some years back. I kind of feel like the dog at times, lots of grand ideas and no way to carry them through :)

I liked that crazy pic of the cat... :)

Semper Fi
04-19-2007, 08:16 PM
I disconnected the cable, but it made no difference.... still gives me the 246 error and wants to scan. Guess I'll be calling CW tomorrow.

Ernie

rjustice
04-19-2007, 08:23 PM
Ernie, It sounds like customer support has been getting better and better... and they are around on saturday now... I wish you luck.. Unplugging the cable seems to be the fix that most people have reported...

Ron

Semper Fi
04-20-2007, 11:17 AM
She's a'going back to LHR. Hope was extremly nice, but she said with more than one indication, they need to have it back. I sure hope it fails for them and they can get it fixed. 6 months ago I hadn't even heard of this machine, and now I don't want to be without one! (Boys and thier toys!! :))

Ernie

Semper Fi
04-30-2007, 08:40 PM
Baby got to LHR on Friday morning, today(Monday) they started it back up to me. That was FAST! Hope they got it all fixed.

Ernie

Semper Fi
05-05-2007, 06:04 AM
Got my machine back on Thursday and did a 90 minute carving yesterday without a hitch.............. Thanks, LHR! It looks like it has a whole new Z Truck. That was a super fast turn around. Carving motor sounds a lot stronger, but that might be wishful thinking on my part. Anyhow, I'm a happy camper again.

Ernie

Semper Fi
05-05-2007, 07:54 PM
Now I'm sure it has a new Z Truck............... I gotta break in another stiff chuck. Cheap price to pay for error free running of my machine.

Ernie

pamjmayo
05-05-2007, 10:07 PM
I read your post about sending it back to CarveWright. I was thinking of taking mine back to Sears because the warranty runs out on May 21. How did you mail it? It's too heavy for me to carry so hopefully it's somebody that comes to the house (HA) I have another post out right now trying to decide what to do but your machine is acting like mine. I just go from error to error and it happened after I removed the cover.

Semper Fi
05-06-2007, 07:36 AM
Pam, when I called, Hope said because I had more than one symptom, they were going to need it back down there. She sent me out a FEDEX prepaid return label via email. I packed up the machine in its original box and called FEDEX for the pickup. They came to the house and got it the next business day. No hassle, no fuss!

Ernie