PDA

View Full Version : First tests runs with Corian.

HillBilly
04-18-2007, 10:36 PM
Ok, I finally got my hands on some Corian to play with. All I can say is "I`m impressed" and a big "Thank you to cooldxx" for helping me out with getting my hands on some to play with.

I`d have to agree with coolxx as well, that they look a lot better when carved on one side and back-lit from the other.

I tried to carve one a bit deeeper to get more of a smooth surface where the carving wouldn`t show till a light was placed behind it. Almost broke a bit doing that one. It seems as if I was only trying to leave a 32nd of an inch and my sled was off by about a 64th. Needless to say the carving bit bit in and snagged the Corian. Once it did that it snapped a piece off and started cutting past the edge of my sled and about a 32nd deeper into the material and the sled. I`m going to have to be a bit more carefull next time I try that one... <Grin>

Anyway, here`s a few pics of the first attemps. I`m including the pictures I used as well a picture of the results of the first two tests.

(By the way the wife loved these.)

eagle1
04-18-2007, 11:07 PM
how thick is your Corian ....... your pictures look great

Sarge
04-18-2007, 11:18 PM
That goes to show what can be done with a little "Git-R-Dun" attitude. Those came out darned pretty.

Good job HB!!

pamjmayo
04-18-2007, 11:46 PM
Hey...good work! I haven't tried it yet but so far this is the coolest way to use my saw. What a beautiful gift. Are you making a lit box to go behind it or how do you want to display it. How thick was your corian?

HillBilly
04-18-2007, 11:46 PM
Thanks guys. The Corain was within a 1/4 inch give or take. Can`t say as that had anything to do with my "almost upsetting" my Lady...<snickers>

I carved the stuff at an 1/8 inch with a height set at "50".

I`m still looking into trying to work with the idea of "Git`n-R-Done" from the back-side, so as the front stays "nice and smooth" too.

Keep your fingers crossed, we might just "git-her-figgered-out" yet.

HillBilly
04-19-2007, 01:16 AM
Yepper`s "pamjmayo", we`s a tring to work on the "box idea" as well. I`ll post the particulars of it after I get it muddled out and all... <griners>

Bill
04-19-2007, 05:52 AM
Nice job, very well done http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif

Aaron B
04-19-2007, 07:04 AM
Did you have to do anything to the photos in some photo software or did you just import them into designer?

Thanks

menewfy
04-19-2007, 07:57 AM
if you want o carve into the rear I suggest when in designer right click go to flip and rotate then flip horz and when you carve it and turn it around it will smooth on the front.

to test this theory just take your carving to the pc and turn it around then it should be opposite of what you are looking at.

good luck

before I go let me ask you a question about he corian, is it the stuff made for countertops? because the stuff I found is very thick and it seems like no light will pass thru it at all. is it the stuff made by dupont?

thanks in advance

benluz
04-19-2007, 10:47 AM
Hello,yes corian is one of many solid surface top materials by dupont and other manufacturers.We use to make counters here in the shop out of it,but it is nasty stuff ,heavy, dusty has to be assembled following strick rules or it can fail and often does anyway.For all my hi-end customers I recommend granite, for the the money you may as well have real stone.I talked to one granite man that works here in the Potomac area around DC and most of his job are tearing out failed corian and replacing it with granite.But it does make some cool pictures with the CW.
Ben

menewfy
04-19-2007, 12:53 PM
well then in that case you should tell him to call you when he does might be a good resource for you.

benluz
04-19-2007, 01:01 PM
I do have a good bit of scrap,but most of mine are stone patterns and would not work for pictures.
Ben

cooldxx
04-19-2007, 04:43 PM
First I wanna say about very good job for HillBilly on Lithophane. Marvellous job.

About granite vs Corian there are a lot of different sides to it good and bad. Sure Granite guy will tell you to buy Granite because he is dealing with granite and same with Corian distributors. They will tell you to buy Corian. From working with Solid Surface more i can tell you that Granite requires bigger and more expensive machine to cut it. Granite looks nice and comes with wide variety of colors. Though it needs to be sealed every 5-10 years to protect stone.
If Granite scratched or chipped its very diffucult to fix it almost impossible where Corian just sand and glue and you not gonna even see anything. Its very easy to cut either on CNC or with the hand Router. So its metter of preference on either to use Granite or Corian.

pkunk
04-19-2007, 04:47 PM
As far a for countertops, granite is more expensive & harder to work. Corian is not heat proof so don't put a hot pot on it.

cooldxx
04-19-2007, 05:05 PM
How many times do you place the hot pot on the countertop? I do not remember myself putting the hot pot on my laminate top. But in that case I would use Pot Holder:)

Just my 2 cents.

pkunk
04-19-2007, 05:12 PM
Well, I'm not allowed in the kitchen for just that reason,;) but I've replaced some client countertops with major burns.

Bill
04-19-2007, 05:28 PM
A lot of folks put a hot pan on the countertop with out even thinking about it untill it's to late .... I know http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/icons/icon8.gif

benluz
04-19-2007, 05:37 PM
yes ,that does happen a lot and probably explains why there are so many joint failures in solid surface tops.
Ben

rjustice
04-19-2007, 08:19 PM
everytime we have the family come over for holiday dinners etc... we have had someone gasp when a hot pot gets put on the granite... they still cant believe it wont hurt it until you tell them its just a shiny rock...

LOL...

by the way, very nice carving on the corian.... Still looking forward to trying it myself.

Ron