PDA

View Full Version : depth vs height

woody-ct
04-18-2007, 04:41 PM
Perhaps I'm a bit thick, but I can't seem to see any differences when I change the heith number. The depth is straight forward, but using the same art side by side I can have one with a height of 100 and the other of 999, and I'll be darned if I can notice any change in the display. I downloaded the carvewright manual (MUCH better than Sears) and still cannot when they say that a height setting 0f 200 means "twice the default hieght". If 100 is the maximum value for height, then how can 200, or higher, be twice the default height? Perhaps it only shows when you carve, but my machine is out for repair and I will have to wait until it is returned.

many thanks

Charles M
04-18-2007, 04:45 PM
Did you see this thread?:

http://www.carvewright.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2564

Once a pattern is at fuul height you can raise the height setting all you want and it will never go above that height.

mtylerfl
04-18-2007, 07:44 PM
Perhaps I'm a bit thick, but I can't seem to see any differences when I change the heith number. The depth is straight forward, but using the same art side by side I can have one with a height of 100 and the other of 999, and I'll be darned if I can notice any change in the display. . .
many thanks

Hello Woody,

There are some variables that determine how a particular pattern is affected via the height setting...the default depth of the pattern itself, and whether you are placing the pattern in a carved out recess, are a couple variables I have made note of.

You can try setting your pattern to "Merge Style:Additive" to "force" the entire pattern to be visible if placed in a recessed area.

After that, you can play with the height/depth settings for the particular pattern in question as well as the recessed area depth setting.

Any other patterns that you place in the same recessed area will probably need to have their merge style set to "Merge Style:Additive" and their height adjusted too. (i.e., if the pattern appears "flattened" - raise its height number)

I admit that I don't have a total grasp of this either, but I seem to get the results I want through trial-and-error. The "Merge Style:Additive" method, and at times, creating pattern groups has worked pretty well for me. (check your Designer Help File for a short explanation of a pattern group as it applies to height/depth/merge style)

Hope this helps!

HandTurnedMaple
04-18-2007, 11:02 PM
As I said in my sticky thread (or implied anyway), once you reach the point that increasing the height stops showing new results then you have reached the limit. If you need more height at that point then you must first increase the depth.

MarkJamesDesign
04-20-2007, 12:28 PM
I was fooling around with a design for a box top this morning and realized this might serve as an example of how height can be adjusted to affect a carving. (See attached mpc) The text was created in Photoimpact 10 using some texture tricks I have learned through trial and error. You will need to open the carving list in the view menu then select the aloha text. Play with the height to see the difference higher numbers have on both the height and texture of the text. You can also change the strength of the pattern in the dome by adjusting it's height. Hope this sheds some light, though I think it may add to the confusion. I see it in action, but even I still don't fully get it.

Jim

Greybeard
04-20-2007, 01:46 PM
Say you start by setting your board thickness to 2".
You can now set the depth of any pattern you place on the board < 2" before you cut through the board.
When you place the pattern on the board it comes in with its default thickness, often 0.25". But designer refers to this as its "height" and gives it a default value of 100. This value is measured upwards from the surface on which you have placed it.
If you have already lowered that area (eg by a carved region ) the height is measured from the bottom of the carved region level.
So now you can increase its "height" (200 will double it) until at some particular value, it will be level with the top surface of the board.

You can't make it come above the board - there isn't any wood there.

Giving it a value of 999 just makes sure that it reaches the top.

John