PDA

View Full Version : Something I did over the weekend.

HillBilly
04-18-2007, 12:30 AM
I designed and produced this simple plaque for my wife to give to her brother and sister-in-law over this past weekend. As I listened to what she was telling me she was thinking about and then set down and let my mind wander around a bit.

It was a combined effort. She had only mentioned about her family being mostly Catholic and her sister-in-law having several wall hangings of "Our Lady of Guadalupe". I went with my own fealings and came up with what I called a "Prayer Board'. It didn`t come out quite as well as I would have liked it to have. But then again, we`re still trying to get used to the way the carver responds to the rendering of the photographic images.

After I got it past the carving stage, she asked me if she could try her hand at colorizing it. I told her "Go for It". She`d never done anything like this before and was a bit disapointed in her results. We all are I beleive, our own worst critics for the most part. I thought it came out quite well myself.

It is done in a simple 1x10x20 pine board and finished in a light golden oak stain. She used the colored pencils to color "Our Lady of Guadalupe" and used acrylic paint for the lettering. The crosses and the framing of the picture were covered in a gold leaf paint, followed by a good coat of gloss polyethylene.

I`m hoping to get some more pictures up soon of some carvings using some corian as well as maybe some other plastics.

This is a great piece of equipment, now if we can only try and understand it.

Hope everyone keeps making dust.

cajunpen
04-18-2007, 01:08 AM
Hillybilly I think your Prayer Board came out VERY NICE. I think we all tend to be over critical of our own work. Tell you wife that her coloring came out very nice and the carving looks great. Nice job.

Bill
04-18-2007, 06:06 AM
hello HillBilly,
Your carving looks Excellent, well done..http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif

mikem
04-18-2007, 07:08 AM
Very very nice! Thanks for explaining how you did it. I have been trying to come up with a way to color some of my carvings and would have never thought about colored pencils. I was thinking acrylic paints only. If colored pencils worked, I wonder if pastel crayons covered by a sealer then poly would work?

mtylerfl
04-18-2007, 07:28 AM
Hillbilly,

Boy, that came out really nice. Great idea about using colored pencils. Nice effect!

Sarge
04-18-2007, 06:06 PM
Nice job!! The thing about our own worst critic definitely rings through here.

Did you see the Lady of Guadalupe from Vector 3D? I saw it the other day... http://www.vectorart3d.com/store/index.cfm/Religious/

;)

Dirtydan
04-20-2007, 12:40 PM
Well after batteling with the Quick Chuck Release all weekend and several cut fingers... Here's my test board... After some more clean-up I'll stain it and slap so Hi-Gloss on it just to see how it looks. It was done on Pine for testing, but I think I'm going to use Oak for the final carving.

Dirtydan
04-25-2007, 05:37 PM
Well, I sure have been burning up some Nice Pine wood... with one test run afte another... Sarge, here's one I did today, right off the machine with just a little clean-up...

I've also attached a pretty clean Marine Corps -Eagle, Globe and Anchor for my fellow Marines... I'm also looking for all the US Military Emblems as well as their various rank insignias.

HillBilly
04-26-2007, 01:15 AM
I`ve, I do beleive been "high-jacked". Should I report it ?....<grin>

Just messing with ya "Dirtydan", keep on carving. What`s ya done so far looks great. By the way, thanks for the "bump"... <grin>

Dirtydan
04-26-2007, 01:28 AM
I`ve, I do beleive been "high-jacked". Should I report it ?....<grin>

Just messing with ya "Dirtydan", keep on carving. What`s ya done so far looks great. By the way, thanks for the "bump"... <grin>

I guess I'm slow... The "High-Jacked" and "Bump" has me fooled... Must be old age..

HillBilly
04-26-2007, 01:39 AM
No problem there "Dirtydan", we`s all here to try and figure it "all" out...Keep on posting what you do. I for one look foreward ro seeing your`s and them`s.

Dirtydan
04-26-2007, 01:53 AM
Hillbilly, here's my projects for this week... Mothers day gifts for the daughters. I'll do them in Pine to make sure I haven't messed anything up and then I'll make the finished product in Red Oak... Sure wish the rest of my bits would get here soon from CW. So far I've only gotten the ones I don't need... Hmmmm, stoy of my life....:p

Sarge
04-26-2007, 10:29 AM
Well, I sure have been burning up some Nice Pine wood... with one test run afte another... Sarge, here's one I did today, right off the machine with just a little clean-up...

I've also attached a pretty clean Marine Corps -Eagle, Globe and Anchor for my fellow Marines... I'm also looking for all the US Military Emblems as well as their various rank insignias.

Gunny,
Check out this website, they have almost anything you'd ever think of. www.oldmp.com/art

I've got about a dozen of their CD's. Alot of good stuff.

http://www.carvewright.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3337

sk8nmike
04-26-2007, 10:43 AM
Gunny,
Check out this website, they have almost anything you'd ever think of. www.oldmp.com/art

I've got about a dozen of their CD's. Alot of good stuff.

http://www.carvewright.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3337

Nothing but stuff for LEGS!!

forqnc
04-26-2007, 11:51 AM
I guess I'm slow... The "High-Jacked" and "Bump" has me fooled... Must be old age..
High-Jacked - as in the thread has gone away from the original post
Bump - meaning the thread was 'bumped' back to the top of the page for more to see.

Don't worry DirtyDan where all learning and sometimes it's not carving related. :)

jspringertx
04-27-2007, 09:08 AM
Very very nice! Thanks for explaining how you did it. I have been trying to come up with a way to color some of my carvings and would have never thought about colored pencils. I was thinking acrylic paints only. If colored pencils worked, I wonder if pastel crayons covered by a sealer then poly would work?

I use the acrylic paints from WalMart/Michaels and then spray them with a poly finish to protect them. The results are fantastic. Be sure and buy some high quality brushes.

rgant05
04-27-2007, 11:38 PM
Dirty Dan,
Did you use a router bit for the edge of the carved region?

And how about the lettering.... it almost looks like you used the cutting bit?
roger

Dirtydan
04-28-2007, 01:12 AM
Dirty Dan,
Did you use a router bit for the edge of the carved region?

And how about the lettering.... it almost looks like you used the cutting bit?
roger

I don't know which project you are talking about, but for all raster text I just use the normal carving bit.. I don't know of any other way to do it. I use a 60 degree V bit for the Outline text. The edge was done with a 1/8 Roman Ogee bit.

Which project are you talking about?