PDA

View Full Version : Mine's Going Back, Too

Charles M
04-17-2007, 09:43 AM
Well I found an error that the friendly folks at CarveWright were unable to advise me on over the phone so back it goes. Mine was carving everything 0.030" too deep so if I find what they did to fix it I will post to let others know. Up until recently I thought the problem was in my artwork. However, I did some true centerline text that came out too wide and started measuring. It appears that even though the machine finds the surface of the wood, when it starts to rout it thinks the surface is actually 0.030" lower than it is. The result with V bits isn't too bad (although a little wider than it should be) but when carving a fake V groove (from gray scale artwork) with the carving bit it looks terrible. I also have been getting the Check Cut Motor and Close Cover errors more and more frequently lately. The Tech department said that there is now a new testing procedure in place (and more technicians) so the turn around is about one day. Crossing my fingers.

RC Woodworks
04-17-2007, 01:36 PM
Charles, yes the turn around is quick. I got my back really quick, but with the same problem! I must of missed the new testing procedure. I not saying they didn't replace the RPM sensor or the magnet. I sent it in for the check motor and close cover. Yesterday I started a project and when it was almost complete.... check cut motor.

I am waiting for close cover next, so I think I need a new cut motor. So I guess they came up with the new testing procedure after my repair? As soon as I get in touch with CW I will let you know.

I hope the best for you.

Rick

ruggybear
04-17-2007, 01:44 PM
Mines been there for a week now. Hope it gets back before 4/26 or no one will be here to receive it unto the 1st of June.

Charles M
04-18-2007, 06:46 AM
Well, I found a temprary fix for my depth problem that will allow me to turn out a couple more projects before I return the machine. Since my CompuCarve thinks the board is lower than it is, I used a piece of a 12 pack box (~0.025" thick) laid on the board when the bit was "Finding Surface" and removed it before it started carving. The results were MUCH better. So, if you are having crappy results that looks like the machine is consistently cutting too deep you may want to try this to see if it makes a difference. I doubt it will help for the inconsistent depth problem that some have had.

Jeff_Birt
04-18-2007, 07:59 AM
Charles, did CW tech support hint at what might cause the lower cutting depth? I wonder if it is some calibration issue that one could take care of at home? I know there is a calibration proceedure built into the machine but I 'think' it only covers the X and Y axis, not Z. I bought the 3/8" jointing bit from CW which is required to do the calibration but have not tried it yet. If the calibration proceedure does not yet cover the Z-axis perhaps CW can revamp it so it does?

Charles M
04-18-2007, 08:48 AM
Charles, did CW tech support hint at what might cause the lower cutting depth? I wonder if it is some calibration issue that one could take care of at home? I know there is a calibration proceedure built into the machine but I 'think' it only covers the X and Y axis, not Z. I bought the 3/8" jointing bit from CW which is required to do the calibration but have not tried it yet. If the calibration proceedure does not yet cover the Z-axis perhaps CW can revamp it so it does?

Jeff,

I talked to Hope at CW and she didn't seem to know what the problem could be which is why she wants me to send it in. I did the calibration to try to fix it but as you surmised it only seems to affect the X and Y, not the Z. Good idea for that feature to be included in future upgrades.

Charles M
04-18-2007, 08:51 AM
DDV,

I tried to reply to your PM but you have your profile set to not accept them. If you will adjust this setting in your profile I'll send a reply.

Jeff_Birt
04-18-2007, 09:01 AM
Charels,

I wonder what would happen if you attached your 0.30" shim to the top of the bit plate? Would that change the Z offset I wonder?

Charles M
04-18-2007, 09:08 AM
Good suggestion. That may work the opposite of what I need but I'll try it and see. Thanks!

HandTurnedMaple
04-18-2007, 09:56 AM

I'm not saying is related to the other, you decide:

After mine came back from Texas, I did a test carving and the cut out was misaligned. So I did the calibration procedure. Then I tried carving the finished version and when I loaded the carving bit it could not find the bit because the head would not go low enough for the bit to touch the board or flapper. So I shortened the 3/8" bit to be the same length as the carving bit. And when I started the calibration test again (figuring the difference in length caused the bit error), about halfway through the straight bit plunged and rip apart the Sliding Guide Plate Release Lever.

As I see it its one of 3 possiblities: 1) I screwed it up because my straight bit was initially the wrong length; 2) An unrelated failure; or 3) the Calibration is flawed (although others have done it successfully).

Charles M
04-18-2007, 10:02 AM
Jeff,

I talked to Hope at CW and she didn't seem to know what the problem could be which is why she wants me to send it in. I did the calibration to try to fix it but as you surmised it only seems to affect the X and Y, not the Z. Good idea for that feature to be included in future upgrades.

I'm not saying is related to the other, you decide:

After mine came back from Texas, I did a test carving and the cut out was misaligned. So I did the calibration procedure. Then I tried carving the finished version and when I loaded the carving bit it could not find the bit because the head would not go low enough for the bit to touch the board or flapper. So I shortened the 3/8" bit to be the same length as the carving bit. And when I started the calibration test again (figuring the difference in length caused the bit error), about halfway through the straight bit plunged and rip apart the Sliding Guide Plate Release Lever.

As I see it its one of 3 possiblities: 1) I screwed it up because my straight bit was initially the wrong length; 2) An unrelated failure; or 3) the Calibration is flawed (although others have done it successfully).

When I calibrated I had the 3/8" bit too long and kept getting a 246 Z Axis Stall error. Shortened the bit in the holder and all went well. It sounds to me like you may have an whole new error since your straight bit plunged too far.

DDV
04-18-2007, 11:34 AM
DDV,

I tried to reply to your PM but you have your profile set to not accept them. If you will adjust this setting in your profile I'll send a reply.

The box was checked. reset options , and saved. You can retry.
DDV

Charles M
04-18-2007, 11:45 AM
Hmmm, still not working...

RanUtah
04-18-2007, 02:43 PM
1. I'm assuming that CW is also accepting the compucarve machines if you have to send it in. Is this right?

2. What is the best method of shipping one? UPS, etc?

I apologize if this has already been posted someplace else. If theres a link to the answer, please let me know. Thanks!

Charles M
04-18-2007, 02:47 PM
CW does cover service for the CompuCarve unit. If you contact CW with a service issue and it is a warranty issue they will email a prepaid FedEx label for you to return it.

pkunk
04-18-2007, 02:59 PM
1. I'm assuming that CW is also accepting the compucarve machines if you have to send it in. Is this right?

2. What is the best method of shipping one? UPS, etc?

I apologize if this has already been posted someplace else. If theres a link to the answer, please let me know. Thanks!
After you talk with a tech at CW, and they determine that your machine has to come back to them for repair, they'll issue you a prepaid shipping label by email.