PDA

View Full Version : Difference between QuickRout from Sears and Quick Change Adapter

CallNeg151
04-16-2007, 08:09 PM
I am in the process of replacing my Quick Change, and thought I'd use the opportunity to take a photo to show once and for all how the Sears QuickRout adapter and the CompuCarve Quick Change adapter are different.

In short, although they both use the same bit adapters, and are substantially similar, they connect to your tool differently, as can be seen in the attached photo.

Azbear
04-16-2007, 08:32 PM
Ya, so there! Enough said. Like for like it is not.

forqnc
04-17-2007, 06:43 AM
Yeah I learn't the hard way, but at least I got 4 adapter bits and a wrench to remove it.:rolleyes:

DDV
04-17-2007, 09:31 AM
My $.02 worth. Has anybody took the two chucks apart? The mounts might be wrong but are the other parts interchangeable?
DDV

forqnc
04-17-2007, 09:48 AM
My $.02 worth. Has anybody took the two chucks apart? The mounts might be wrong but are the other parts interchangeable?
DDV

I didn't take mine apart as I had to send the old one back to CW. But it does look like the threaded parts are one piece and pressed into the outer piece. The outer piece looks interchangeable.

benluz
04-17-2007, 10:11 AM
Hello, the threads are different from the sears quick route compared to the carvewright but the same one the other end .I was going to switch parts on mine,but once it was unassembled it would not come apart any further for me to switch the pieces I need to .Instead once I had the inner most section out of the cw chuck I tack welded a bit adapter into it's original collet that would no longer hold the bit secure on it's own because one ear of it was broken.But once tacked the two set screws were still accessible and gave me a solid chuck that works fine until the replacement came.
Ben

DDV
04-17-2007, 01:55 PM
I didn't take mine apart as I had to send the old one back to CW. But it does look like the threaded parts are one piece and pressed into the outer piece. The outer piece looks interchangeable.

After my last post, I told myself "Why are asking other people if they had taken the chucks apart, when you got both styles sitting in your tool box."

So, now I have two chucks down to the mounts part(s). As of right now it looks like the Sears adapter mount is a solid part. The CW mount is three parts (I think) haven't got it apart yet. I may for the sake of research just split it to see how it was put tegether.

After taken the stuck chuck apart I found the reason it was stuck and stopped working right. There are three balls that engage the radial groove in the bit adapter that pull-up and locks the adapter in the taper of the chuck as it rotates into the locked position . The bit adapter is driven by the two small screws that also hold the bit in place. These screws contact an overlapping opposing cam arrangement which as the cams turn close on and lock onto the screws and in turn drives the adapter and bit. At this contact point the adapter screws embedded themselfs into the cam section wall. This action destroyed the cam form and rolled a sharp burr to the inside closing up the working clearance between the two opposing cams thus making it difficult to move. That also explains why some people have unstuck the chuck by twisting and hitting it on the outer ring. The hitting action rolls the burr back to the outside or deforms it and opens up the working clearance . ( Like hitting a stuck nut on a bolt which sometimes makes it easy to turn) That may not be a good idea being that outer ring is plastic and could break and being plastic it deaden the blow anyway. The twisting action helps dislodge the screws from the deformed area on the face of the cam.

Being that I didn't buy this machine new, I don't know how it was treated before I got it. I guess the are other condition that could cause this?

Changing the chuck is no big deal. If CW has a heat-treat specification on these parts that specification is not good enough to have a dependable working chuck. I spent my working life in the metal working industry and understand the problems with heat-treating thin walled parts and believe me its not a cheap process. If the design is not changed they better keep a boat load of them to hand out free until the warranty time is over.

I have faith that CW knows what the problem is and is working on it. I also know that they don’t need an old man telling them what is wrong with or how to make their parts. They got enough problems already without my $ .02 worth.
DDV

forqnc
04-17-2007, 02:13 PM
DDV. Thanks for the informative post and insight.

HighTechOkie
04-20-2007, 12:38 PM
If anyone needs em, I have four of the CW/CC style Quickrout chuck. These also come with 4 - 1/2" adapters. Price is $10 plus shipping.

Send me a PM if interested.

Rob

liquidguitars
04-20-2007, 02:25 PM
Anyone think about installing a standard router chuck with flat wrenches on the CW?

Lig

Charles M
04-20-2007, 02:43 PM
Lig,

Sounds possible but it might be hard to find. All of the router collets I know of are either pressed onto the motor shaft of a router (at least the female part of the collet), machined out of the shaft itself or made to fit a shaper spindle.

DDV
04-20-2007, 03:57 PM
Anyone think about installing a standard router chuck with flat wrenches on the CW?

Lig

Anybody know if there is a standard specification for router chucks? I guess every mfg. make them to their own specifications? I also guess making just the adapter and using good sears chuck nut and collets would work? Just thinking of putting the metal lathe to work!
DDV

HighTechOkie
04-21-2007, 12:07 AM
All sets are sold. Thanks all.

Rob

If anyone needs em, I have four of the CW/CC style Quickrout chuck. These also come with 4 - 1/2" adapters. Price is $10 plus shipping.

Send me a PM if interested.

Rob

LZee
04-23-2007, 09:14 AM
Yes, the Quick Rout Chuck (26691) we sell is not compatible with the CompuCarve--if, however you're looking for bit collets, both the the 1/2" (26694) and 1/4" (26695) adaptors fit fine.

Linda
Sears Tools

Gman_Ind
04-25-2007, 09:45 PM
What Linda said, the set of three adapters is perfect for use with your bits skip the router adapter.