PDA

View Full Version : Stuck Chuck

hdultra
04-16-2007, 06:20 PM
I had a hard time removing a bit from the machine. I was able to remove it after a while. Now the Quick Release Chuck seems to be stuck in the "locked" position. Can't get the outer flange to move "up" in order to install a different bit. Any suggestions HELP! ! !

MAG
04-16-2007, 07:45 PM
I had that problem but I was trying to use my hand. carvewright gave you a tool did you receive one. If you still can't get it heat it up with hair dryer (tore would be too much

Best of luck
MAG

Jeff_Birt
04-16-2007, 10:50 PM
hdultra, the chuck and adapeters need to be cleaned after each use. The chucks on new machines can also be rather sticky at first. CW suggests wiping the inside of the cuck (and adapters) with a bit of 3-in-1 oil on a rag. Much has been written about this subject. You can use teh 'Search' function (in the red tool bar mid-screen) to search for more hints.

hdultra
04-19-2007, 09:39 PM
Thanks for the information I received on my "problem". I used a hair dryer to heat up the chuck a little. Then I took some 3 in 1 oil and drizzled some in the top of the top of the bit holder. I was able to work the holder up a little, so I added more oil - a little at a time and worked in it. Well, that did the trick along with placing oil on a rag and applying the oil inside the chuck. Now the bit holder (chuck) moves more freely (it needs a little more work) but at least it is moving more smoothly. Thanks again! ! ! :cool:

hdultra
04-19-2007, 09:44 PM
One other thing I forgot to mention. I took the 22mm wrench for my table saw and used that to aid in turning the "nut" on top of the chuck. Maybe Carvewright should consider making available such a wrench (thin wall) that could be added to the "included" parts.

CallNeg151
04-20-2007, 12:56 AM
One other thing I forgot to mention. I took the 22mm wrench for my table saw and used that to aid in turning the "nut" on top of the chuck. Maybe Carvewright should consider making available such a wrench (thin wall) that could be added to the "included" parts.

It would be a good included part. One other source for a wrench is the Sears QuickRout kit. It includes 3 bit adapters, a wrench and a QuickRout chuck (which functions like the CarveWright Quick Change, but has a DIFFERENT mount). If you can get a discount off of the normal $29, it might almost be worth buying it if you're desperate for a wrench that will work.

Dirtydan
04-25-2007, 12:46 PM
While I still have a problem now and then, the 3 in 1 Oil seems to be the answer along with a little force every so often. I've been using one drop at each of the four wrenching surfaces and letting it sit for a minute or two. Sometimes I am still forced to use a little force to get things to start moving, but not like it was before. 3 in 1 is the fix for now.

I'd sure like to see what the inside of the QRC looks like. There has to be a manufacturing or assembly tolerance problem, if not everyone would be having the same problem all of the time.

For now I'm happy......well make that happier than I was... LOL;)