PDA

View Full Version : Advanced software question

RBeau1954
04-16-2007, 09:30 AM
I like to use the texture feature in my projects. You can use the horizontal or vertical features and make them the size of your project and get the rounded effect like on the sample on there web. My problem is that when I set the texture width, it centers it on the board and not my work area. I have to move my work area around to get the texture where I want it on the Project. Is there a way to move the texture around or is it fixed on the board?

Rick

liquidguitars
04-16-2007, 11:05 AM
the texture can be placed on a new box and then moved/scaled on your project.

Lig

RBeau1954
04-17-2007, 12:05 PM
If you make a new box and move it around, the texture pattern stays centered on the board, not the box. No matter what dimensions you make the pattern or the box, the texture stays center on your work piece, not the box. I just tried it, I made a new box, put a texture in it and moved the box around on the project and the texture stays put. The only way I can get the texture where I want it is to move the box around to center the texture. Maybe my software is screwy but the texture does not move. This creates a problem when I want to put a box in a certain place on the board but can't because the texture dictates where the box is. Are there any software people on here for Carvewright that knows what I am talking about?

Rick

MarkJamesDesign
04-17-2007, 12:37 PM
Your software must be screwy. I just drew a box added texture and drug it around. Texture goes where box goes. You may need to uninstall and reinstall designer.

Kenm810
04-17-2007, 12:48 PM
Open this file to see if you can drag the box or circle around on the project

RBeau1954
04-17-2007, 01:19 PM
Ken, I opened your project, and it is doing the same thing. Open up the circle and the square, when you move the box one half the distance of the circle, the circles stay put and the box moves. If you want a full circle all around you have to move the box to get that. Maybe I am not explaining myself right but in your example you can move the box or the circle and the texture does not move. Again, move the box one half circle and the edge of the box will cover half the circle but the texture doesn't move with the box.
Maybe it is my software.

Rick

RBeau1954
04-17-2007, 01:22 PM
PS, Yes the texture stays in the box when you move it around but it does not stay in the same position in the box. Take a 4 in box and put in a 2 in horizontal texture. If you want the middle of the texture to be in the middle of the box you have to move the box to get that, if you move the box one inch either way the horizontal texture will not be centered.

Rick

Kenm810
04-17-2007, 01:37 PM
You've got me on this one ???,
I can click on the box or circle and drag them all over the project,
I can enlarge or reduce them, lay them over each other
and the texture always follows

Kenm810
04-17-2007, 01:42 PM
Now I see what your saying, the box or circle is sliding over the texture not carrying it with it.
the box is acting like a picture frame sliding over a textured wall paper

Wow now my head hurts

liquidguitars
04-17-2007, 02:23 PM
got it,

Designers textures and not image maps can only tile and are what are called procedural, will only size based on an input number. Procedurals just "float" on the surface mostly.

Liq

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

A procedural floor grate texture generated with the texture editor Genetica.A procedural texture is a computer generated image created using an algorithm intended to create a realistic representation of natural elements such as wood, marble, granite, metal, stone, and others.

Usually, the natural look of the rendered result is achieved by the usage of fractal noise and turbulence functions. These functions are used as a numerical representation of the “randomness” found in everything that surrounds us.

In general, these noise and fractal functions are simply used to “disturb” the texture in a natural way such as the undulations of the veins of the wood. In other cases, like marbles' textures, they are based on the graphical representation of fractal noise.

Think of tiles instantly filling your outside volume shape “your box”. now if I move my box it just redraws the box with a procedural design giving this illusion. Some software will enable you to use a falloff that the mathematically fades the effect base on a users numbers.

On the cool side, Designer has taken the first step in some really cool backgrounds and soon I hope ptn surface and vector uv .

RBeau1954
04-17-2007, 03:52 PM
Now my head hurts. Thanks for the explanation. Bottom line is the texture stays put in designer and like Ken said, you move your box around like a picture frame to capture how it is presented in the box. Thanks guys.

Rick

Fireman Phil
04-17-2007, 04:02 PM
Try a test piece first on some scrap wood. I was having the same problem a while back. When I figured it out, I moved the 'picture frame' to the position I wanted the texture to be at. But when I carved it, it was not the same as what was on Designer. That was 2 updates ago. Maybe they fixed that one?

-Phil

Charles M
04-17-2007, 04:38 PM
Phil,

I had the same result. It was only off a hair but was noticeable to me. I now make my textures in Illustrator instead of trying to use the ones in Designer.

liquidguitars
04-17-2007, 04:43 PM
Try a test piece first on some scrap wood. I was having the same problem a while back. When I figured it out, I moved the 'picture frame' to the position I wanted the texture to be at. But when I carved it, it was not the same as what was on Designer. That was 2 updates ago. Maybe they fixed that one?

-Phil

If you used "place under rollers" the texture could be changing with the board size try it "full scale"

Lig