PDA

View Full Version : Help with Scale to Size

gtj44
04-14-2007, 07:01 PM
I ran a project today that came out ok except the machine keeps wanting to scale down or cut the board or replace with larger board. I made sure that the board used was 8" longer than the project and was wide enough. So far, the only way to circumvent this is to not use keep under rollers.

Digitalwoodshop
04-14-2007, 07:56 PM
That happened to me when the roundness of a plastic trex like caused the width to measure the board 5.3 vice my 5.5 measurement. It asked to scale.

What does it tell you after scale?

AL

Kenm810
04-14-2007, 08:58 PM
gtj44’

I may be wrong but,
Looking at your project the board measurement is 22” x 11.250”
Your outer oval carving is 16.984 or nearly 17” x 9.5” 22 – 17 = 5 inches
Not the 3.5” the machine needs on both ends of the board 7”
If you'r actually using a board longer 22" you have to tell the machine.

gtj44
04-14-2007, 10:08 PM
Ok maybe that's the problem. In the edit/board setting, you put in the actual board size you are using? I thought the machine would measure the board and if it was 7" over the project size, it would take off. I'll try inputing actual board size on the next one. Thanks for the input.

BTW, I've been reading all the Compu Carve failures with great interest, waiting for something to happen with mine, but so far, no problems except the software learning curve like above. I only had the flex cable heat up and fixed that with the relube as posted in this forum. the above project was almost three hours and it ran under 100 degrees.

liquidguitars
04-14-2007, 10:15 PM
BTW, I've been reading all the Compu Carve failures with great interest, waiting for something to happen with mine, but so far, no problems Now you have done it. :)

I build my sleds and cut the wood blanks to the size I need, next measure it with the CW and give that measurement to designer. Sounds backwards but works better :p

Lig

Digitalwoodshop
04-14-2007, 10:30 PM
Here is a example of length.... My blue reflective material is 15 inches wide. I enter a board width of 15 inches. I place a board in my Carve Machine 24 inches long so it has the length to stay under the rollers for stability. I always select NO for stay under the rollers but I always add the extra 8 inches to the physical board.

So my Designer Board is only 15 inches long and I get a Jig Warning being so close to the edge as I cut out the sign. But in my case I ignore the Jig because I include the 8 inches of extra wood.

If your board is too short and you select not to scale or not to stay under the rollers the board could tip up inside the machine and break the bit or machine.

See picture below.

1. See the 15 inch board in designer. Note the cut out lines close to the board edge.

2. See the physical board that has been cut. 24 inches wide.

3. The Cutout.

4. Let there be light.

In theory you could put in a physical 12 foot board in have a 15 inch Designer Board, and when it asks to center the project you say no and you could just jog it to your starting position.

Good Luck.

AL

liquidguitars
04-14-2007, 10:37 PM
love the look ...

you can have it auto place to the end of the board for indexing also.
key pad 03 "place on end" I have got the unit dead on with this.

Lig

Kenm810
04-15-2007, 11:27 AM
Lig,
Quote [I build my sleds and cut the wood blanks to the size I need, next measure it with the CW and give that measurement to designer. Sounds backwards but works better] See! that’s how you get them thinking with both hemispheres