PDA

View Full Version : Military insignia, badges, etc.......

Sarge
04-14-2007, 05:59 PM
OK, this isn't intended to start a big long drawn out battle. It's just FYI.

After all the discussions, I started looking at some of my stuff, mainly the military oriented projects. I figured there had to be copyrighted items in them. I sent an email out to the Dept. of the Army, Institute of Heraldry for permission to use them.

In short, a staff lawyer replied the same day. He asked a few more questions, which I answered. He replied today with an application form and a tentative license agreement. I still have to wait for it to be approved.

"We have massive problems with people using Army insignia, symbols, and so forth, without asking permission or getting a license. They're just in it to make money for themselves, even though these belong to the Army and to the country. So kudos to you for asking; lots of people don't."

pkunk
04-14-2007, 06:05 PM
Interresting! I'll have to look as some of my stuff for scanable items.

Cliff
04-14-2007, 06:24 PM
Military insignia, badges, etc.......

pkunk

They had that stuff back in the civil war?

Good on ya

Cliff

meat
04-14-2007, 08:47 PM
OK, this isn't intended to start a big long drawn out battle. It's just FYI.

After all the discussions, I started looking at some of my stuff, mainly the military oriented projects. I figured there had to be copyrighted items in them. I sent an email out to the Dept. of the Army, Institute of Heraldry for permission to use them.

In short, a staff lawyer replied the same day. He asked a few more questions, which I answered. He replied today with an application form and a tentative license agreement. I still have to wait for it to be approved.

"We have massive problems with people using Army insignia, symbols, and so forth, without asking permission or getting a license. They're just in it to make money for themselves, even though these belong to the Army and to the country. So kudos to you for asking; lots of people don't."
Good for you! It's good to see someone doing things the right way, rather than just stealing graphics for profit! Well done!

I know that every time Bill Watterson sees that sticker of a ripped-off Calvin & Hobbs character praying to a cross on the back of a born-again's (yeah, right... Isn't there a commandment about "not stealing" in Exodus or Deuteronomy or both? :rolleyes:) car he gets torqued!

Your pal,
The Right Reverend Meat.

gtj44
04-16-2007, 06:26 PM
I have a copy of Corel Draw 8, there is a disk of clipart that contains every insignia, crest etc of almost every Military Branch and Government Agency you could ever think off. Can these be used in items you are reselling? I'm sure thousands of computer artists have used Corel clip art in their work that has been sold. This is just a curious question since the use of U.S. insignias was brought up.

Sarge
04-16-2007, 07:01 PM
Yes, according to the Federal Criminal Codes they are copyrighted. The ones on the CD's (where I get most of mine) are licensed for the people selling the CD. As for the stuff we all get in Corel sets, straight from Corel's website:http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satelli.../1152796558877
2.3 GOVERNMENT CRESTS, SEALS AND OTHER INSIGNIA:
The national and municipal insignia contained in this product are protected by various laws against misuse. Generally speaking, all logos, insignia, patches, seals, flags and coats of arms are for official use only. It is your responsibility to obey all national and international laws regulating display of the insignia, seals, flags and coats of arms contained herein.

If you are selling something that resembles the actual insignia, crest or seal, you are SUPPOSED to have a license agreement.

Here is the Army website:
http://www.tioh.hqda.pentagon.mil/FAQ/FAQ.htm#ORGANIZATIONAL%20INSIGNIA

MISCELLANEOUS
Top of Page

ARE SERVICE SEALS PUBLIC DOMAIN?

Graphic images and guidance on their use is available at: http://www.defenselink.mil/faq/pis/sealuse.html

HOW DO I OBTAIN PERMISSION TO USE A SERVICE SEAL FOR COMMERCIAL PURPOSES?

Those wishing to use service seals (Army, Marine Corps, Navy, Air Force Coast Guard and Department of Defense) for commercial purposes should contact the appropriate office listed at http://www.defenselink.mil/faq/pis/sealuse.html

HOW DO I OBTAIN PERMISSION TO USE A UNIT INSIGNIA?

The Institute of Heraldry does not grant permission to use an individual unit insignia or maintain a roster of names of unit commanders. The unit’s commander is responsible for granting permission to use unit insignia for commercial purposes.

CAN I USE IMAGES FROM THE INSTITUTE OF HERALDRY WEBSITE?

Yes, images can be used for official, non-commercial purposes. If you are planning to link images to another website, please contact tiohweb@tioh.belvoir.army.mil for permission.