PDA

View Full Version : Measuring from one object to another

Pat D
04-14-2007, 04:42 PM
Is there a way to measure from one object to another for placement. I am trying to drill some holes and one is to be 5/8" from the end of the board, which is easy, but the next hole is supposed to be 8.25 inches from the first hole. I have to drill the second referencing the first because the board will be cut afterwards. So, is there a way to do this???
Thanks,
Pat

Dan-Woodman
04-14-2007, 09:22 PM
Pat
If nothing else works , you could always select a straight line and click on the first hole and drag the line over to the second hole. Or after you click the line on the first hole just drag a little ways release the mouse and click on the demension box and type in your demension.

Digitalwoodshop
04-14-2007, 09:30 PM
I am using the drill function for the holes for LED's and when I have a row of them I just watch the green numbers and use the up down left right arrows to get them all level.

I also select the number and just type in the number I want. All my signs with letters and numbers with Greybears's Centerline text are done that way. Just get them close then type in .75 from the bottom. Then they move left and right like on rail road tracks....

You may not have you numbers turned on to view...

Remember if the number turns from green to yellow it is locked. To remove the constraint just right click on the yellow number and select remove attachment.

Good Luck,

AL

Pat D
04-15-2007, 09:27 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. When I move the second hole the reference changes, first to the mid-line and then to the other side of the board, so trying to measure from the same side that the first hole is measured from doesn't work for me, unless I am doing something wrong. I did try the straight line tool and I can get a measurement from the first hole, this may work but how do I know that I am exactly on the first hole and how do I know that I am placing the second hole at the exact end of the line?
Again, thanks for the help.

Dan-Woodman
04-15-2007, 09:50 AM
Pat
Place the second hole just randomly near the first hole, then click on the length measurement to establish the lenth you want from the same edge as the first hole by adding the first demension to the second.

Or when you place your second hole over the first it will highlight itself when your dirsctly on top of it.
Hope this helps, thats what were here for.

Pat D
04-15-2007, 11:32 AM
Ah ha! Now I get it. That will work.
Thanks very much.