PDA

View Full Version : Pompeii Project with my son

mtylerfl
04-14-2007, 01:15 PM
Here is a project my 15-year old son and I designed and completed for an assignment for his Latin class.

All the students are required to give a 5 minute talk related to each student's assigned project.

The teacher asked him to do a map of Pompeii (which sounded a little boring to him at first). Then he came home and asked if we could carve one out in wood (great idea, I told him!).

Just to spice things up a bit, we added the "statue", columns and other details. His Latin teacher hasn't seen it yet - my son gives his presentation on April 17th. I think the project came out rather nice. It's supposed to represent an old alabaster carving.

DocWheeler
04-14-2007, 01:45 PM
Micheal,

That is very nice, I hope his presentation goes as well. It appears that the decoration on top is a seperate carving, where did you get it - create it yourself?

Ken

leesheridan
04-14-2007, 02:34 PM
If he gets anyting other than an A+, have alittle talk with the teacher.
Mike

mtylerfl
04-14-2007, 03:43 PM
Micheal,

That is very nice, I hope his presentation goes as well. It appears that the decoration on top is a seperate carving, where did you get it - create it yourself?

Ken

Hello Ken,

The top piece was indeed carved separately, then epoxied and doweled onto the top edge (using round toothpicks with the sharp ends clipped off). It is one of the patterns that was included with the Designer software (Library/Compositions/Crest01) - we just enlarged and s-t-r-e-t-c-h-e-d it lengthwise!

DocWheeler
04-14-2007, 03:46 PM
Thank you, I thought I had seen it before but could not recall where.

Ken

liquidguitars
04-14-2007, 03:54 PM
looks good.

Nice job to you and your son!

Lig

Sarge
04-14-2007, 04:15 PM
Sharp as a tack!!! What are the dimensions and what wood was it carved from, or is it pine with a whitewash? Looks like a slab of marble or alabaster.

Nice to see kids learning something besides video games. This stuff teaches them alot more than instant gratification. (Fishing does too!!!!!!!!!)

pamjmayo
04-14-2007, 04:25 PM
This is beautiful. You have to tell us all. Sarge asked about wood. I want to know where you found the map and the statue and the columns. I really like it.

gtj44
04-14-2007, 06:42 PM
Caesar would be proud. I like the way the statue background has a fresco look. The teacher should be blown away!

MarkJamesDesign
04-14-2007, 07:56 PM
Sarge,
I have to point out an exception to the fishing education. I grew up in Alaska and back in the late 70's when we spent the summers in Kenai, the salmon were so thick in the Russian river you could almost walk across on them. Every cast was instant gratification!

Bill
04-14-2007, 08:09 PM
hello Michael,
Very nice work, well done http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif

JPAULFISH
04-14-2007, 09:30 PM
what type of material did you use?

insp_gadget
04-15-2007, 07:21 PM
Michael, That is real classy. If you tell me you used corel draw to design it , I just might have to get it. What did you use to make it look like real white marble? Steve

HillBilly
04-16-2007, 01:43 AM
Quite nice work, IMO...

Why can`t I do that ?

http://bestsmileys.com/frustrated/4.gif

mtylerfl
04-16-2007, 10:22 PM
Hello all,

Thanks again for all the kind comments! Here's the answers to your questions:

Sarge asked: What are the dimensions and what wood was it carved from, or is it pine with a whitewash?
Answers:
Overall Dimensions: 21.5" Wide x 13.5" Tall
Wood: just plain ol' 3/4" pine
Finish: Brush painted with Kilz Latex Primer, then spray painted with Rust-Oleum Shell White "Paint for Plastic" (does great on wood!), then brushed on a very light coat of MinWax Puritan Pine wood stain, then wiped off until satisfied with "the look".

pamjmayo asked: I want to know where you found the map and the statue and the columns.
Answers: Found the map and the statue photos online (Yahoo image search). The column we made ourselves from Sculpey clay, then scanned with the probe to make the column pattern to use in the project.

JPAULFISH asked: What type of material did you use?
Answer: - see above -

insp gadget asked: If you tell me you used corel draw to design it , I just might have to get it.
Answers: Used CorelDraw only to assemble screen shots of the map (The map photo could not be downloaded and it was too big to fit the whole map onscreen for a single screen shot). We also used CorelDraw to export the fully "assembled" map as a .jpg. We used Ulead PhotoImpact to edit the statue photo to lighten it up quite a bit so it would yield a decent carve. Used the Designer Pattern Editor to edit the map a bit - we erased the mapkey numbers from the map after importing the map as a pattern in Designer (note: the Pattern Editor software came with my scanning probe).
insp gadget also asked: What did you use to make it look like real white marble?
Answer: - see above -

HillBilly asked: Why can`t I do that ?
Answer: You can!

yellowdog
04-16-2007, 11:51 PM
Unbelievable! Very nice job! When I see what all you people do with wood I get excited about my new toy. Can't wait to do something worthy of posting.