PDA

View Full Version : PCMCIA Card Capacity?

Davepam
04-14-2007, 01:18 AM
How do I get 9 meg of file on a 7777KB Card?

I Plan to make 12 foot cornices with this machine. Seems to be to much for the PCMCIA 8 meg card. (the 9 meg was for a 9 foot'r)

Are there higher capacity cards?
Or am I in need of reducing the file by something other than how intricate the job is?

Dave@davekat.com

Jon Jantz
04-14-2007, 11:40 AM
Davekat, I don't know about the higher capacity card, you may have to contact Carvewright directly about that.

I know you didn't ask, but I would like to mention this.... these machines are not really designed and meant for hardcore production work and the type of thing you are talking about doing may tax it pretty heavily. I would be a little worried about the longevity of the machine doing these large projects.

It's not that I don't have confidence in it, I'm getting my close to being out of warranty without having to contact Carvewright or send it back, but a there have been quite a few who have had problems, so I just wanted to throw this little word of warning out there. With files that complex, every carve is going to use a LOT of hours, and your warranty will be out very quickly.

I am in no way trying to discourage you, or stick my nose in your business... so don't take this the wrong way. I just wanted to give you the head's-up from someone who purchased this machine thinking I was going to do a lot of paneled larger signs with it, but then changed my mind and decided to just use it as a hobby machine.

I think I'll invest in a Shopbot later on for the larger stuff, which was my original plan.... but I really enjoy this thing for the smaller projects and am glad I bought it.

Just my food stamps... (ain't got 2 cents)

Greybeard
04-14-2007, 02:20 PM
Hi Davekat (and Jon)
I was a bit taken aback at the size of your file, even if it's for a 12' cornice.

While I don't expect you to publish anything that is commercially valuable, I would be intrigued to see even part of the design.
Could it be that there might be less memory intensive methods to achieve the effects you want ?

Regards
John

RC Woodworks
04-14-2007, 03:17 PM
Jon, I agree with you. I am getting a ShopBot 4896 next month. Not to replace the CC (I hope!). I want the CC for relief at the fairs I attend. The ShopBot will be for large signs and small ones when I am at home.

I will see how it goes this year, I am going to count my food stamps! The fairs that are worth it I will return next year. If none I hope I have some food stamps left!

The biggest signs I have made with the CC have been 10 3/8" by 46" and I needed a roller stand so it wouldn't dip down. That project took almost 4 hours each board (6). I can't imagine how long it would take for a 12' long project?

Maybe that is why the flash card is only 7777?

Rick

sk8nmike
04-15-2007, 08:11 AM
I responce to your question I dug around in the attic and found a few cards, one from an old Apple Newton (ya, I'm dating myself), one from an HP hand held and one adapter for photo cards. The carvewright reader didn't see any of them.

Davepam
04-16-2007, 03:11 PM
Thanks for the info guys.

I went back to the program, and started over. This is the 2nd or third project, and I found that I had set parameters in crazy places, such as clicking on a height or width setting it.

I started over, and put exactly what I wanted in for dimensions. I got the file down to about 3 megs.

I went out to shopbottools.com and took a look. Mmmmmm! I wanted to test the waters with something less costly than the shopbottools.com type of tool. It seems to be a challange with the Carvewright. BTW, the time for the cornice on a 124 x 7.25 x .75 Pressboard Best Quality was @13 hours.

The most immediate problem now is that the belts are twisted on the rollers. How do I straighten them out.

Thanks for the help!
Dave

RC Woodworks
04-16-2007, 03:27 PM
Dave, that is my biggest fear, the sandpaper belts. They break and it doens't matter if your machine has never had one problem. You are dead in the water! I could only suggest you remove the wrinkle belt and try to smooth it out. Maybe put it between some cardboard and put some weight on it and let it sit.

I have an order in for replacements, but they are on back order :( I would order a extra set if I were you.

I ordered my ShopBot today a 48" by 96" it cost more then the CC but for what it can do it will be worth it. I paid less then $10,000 and that is with tax and a hefty shipping charge. Like the CC, Shopbot comes with it's own software. So you are ready to go and it is compatible with Corel, paint and other CAD type programs. It also allow 11 fonts for vector cuts or centerline. Corel should be able to convert any other fonts you may need.

My CC will be back from repair on the 18th. I want to keep it for my portable shop. The ShopBot will be for commercial size projects, like what you are looking for. I hope you can get that sandpaper smoothed out!

Rick

Charles M
04-16-2007, 03:59 PM
The most immediate problem now is that the belts are twisted on the rollers. How do I straighten them out.

Thanks for the help!
Dave

Dave,

I was able to use a small quick clamp to squeeze the two rollers together enough to straighten mine out. Clamp one end straighten the other then switch to the other end. Not a perfect solution but it kept me running until replacements arrived.