PDA

View Full Version : How to care Guitar Headstock?

TomW
04-13-2007, 12:09 PM
I have a guitar kit from Grizzle. I would like to carve a pattern in the headstock prior to assembly. the headstock itself is flat but as it connects to the guitar neck, it is at an angle. Is there a way to jig this up so I can carve on the flat headstock area and let the neck angle down? I have thought of creating a jig but was not sure how the machine will check the dimensions just prior to carving.

Thanks,

Tom

pkunk
04-13-2007, 02:15 PM
If you can jig it to a sled so that the headstock is level, and not over 5" off the sandpaper, it should be do-able. It will be tricky to 'jog to position' and I'd do a mock up first as a trial run.

David M.
04-15-2007, 09:05 PM
There should be a laminate piece (rosewood, mahogany)that goes on your neck, usually the same wood as the back and sides. Route that before you install it on the neck. The machine can't deal with the angle of the neck as a whole.

pastime106
04-16-2007, 03:49 AM
David has it 100% right. It would be easier to deal with the laminate first then attach. Not to metnion that if you remove too much wood on the surface of the headstock you might loose valuable support for your tuners. If you still wanted to try you could always try building a jig that would keep you headstock 100% flat to the surface. Keep in mind it will need to remain level the entire time. And remain within carving specs.As strange as it sounds it might be easier to carve a neck, add the truss rod and the a fingerboard. Carve from the back the add the frets or fretboard to the front.
regards
tom