PDA

View Full Version : machine keeps asking for bit

oju392
04-12-2007, 08:55 PM
I did a carving tonight and afterwards it was to cut a ogee and then cut out the board but when it got to the ogee bit it just kept asking me to load bit. What in the world is going on here. Now all the machine will do is ask to load bit. It does not appear the bit is coming down at the right time to hit the arm and I just got the machine back from being at the shop for 3 weeks. It did great on my first two carvings now all of a sudden its misbehaving again???
The file it messed up on is attached ( I Hope)

bobi
04-12-2007, 09:02 PM
I did a carving tonight and afterwards it was to cut a ogee and then cut out the board but when it got to the ogee bit it just kept asking me to load bit. What in the world is going on here. Now all the machine will do is ask to load bit. It does not appear the bit is coming down at the right time to hit the arm and I just got the machine back from being at the shop for 3 weeks. It did great on my first two carvings now all of a sudden its misbehaving again???

See the title below in the Troubleshooting PDF sticky thread.
New Updated Bit Plate Finding PDF

oju392
04-12-2007, 09:32 PM
I'll have to try it tommorrow when I get home from work, but I don't know for sure as the plate is not going out to hit the bit until after the bit has gone up and out of the plates reach. It doesn't come near touching the bit. Also the download is version 1.117 and I'm ruinning 1.120.

Gman_Ind
04-12-2007, 10:14 PM
Mine started doing that, the ztruck would not move far enough in the y axis to press the swinging plate out, make sure the cam part is smooths and everything is clean. I was able to get a stubborn bit to read by gently helping it move in the Y axis at the very end, in order to figure out the problem it also got me through the last part of the project. just blow it out really good with air and make sure the guide rails are free of debris.

oju392
04-13-2007, 07:56 PM
Now its working. So what was the problem? I'm still confused. The swinging plate was not staying out long enough for the bit to come down and touch it. So I printed out the sticky PDF file and checked the Y axis adjustment screw and it was tight. I checked the top of the motor and etc. Then I Pulled the swinging plate out a couple times and watched it go back where it was suppose to. Then I pulled the flex cable out of the Z truck and put it back. Then I started the machine and now it finds the bit. I still don't have a clue as to why the swinging plate wasn't staying out long enough for the bit to touch it. Any ideas? I sure hope this don't happen again or I'm liable to check into the Mayo Clinic to see what is wrong with me.

Sarge
04-13-2007, 08:03 PM
Most of the time, this is because some sawdust is impeding the spring on the swing arm. You probably dislodged it when moving the swing arm.

rjp736
04-13-2007, 08:32 PM
Sarge is right. I had the same problem the other day, blew some air near the swing arm and bingo......it swung back out like it's suppose too.

oju392
04-13-2007, 08:38 PM
I know it would swing out but it would just pop out and then would not wait for the bit to come down and touch it. Hopefully y'all are correct in this dilemma that was making me wander just why I had to keep reloading the bit. Maybe I'll get some sleep tonight.
Thanks guys!
Oh yea Sarge checked out your web page...Looks good!

Wood Butcher
04-13-2007, 10:42 PM

I wish my wife and kids would stop asking me for money.