PDA

View Full Version : I see a lot of info regarding Corel . . . how about PSPro? Anyone tried that?

Celticharper1
04-11-2007, 10:34 PM
Hi All,

I see a lot of mention regarding Corel for creating images suitable for the Carvewright.

Though has anyone tried using Paint Shop Pro for the same purpose? (I'm still learning this software as it is, LOL) but would be interested in other's findings if they think it can be applicable to making something useful at the CW machine.

I have PSP version 9 and would appreciate any feedback.

TIA,
Celticharper1

ljdm
04-11-2007, 10:39 PM
I've used Paintshop for a few years, pretty good program. Depends on what you want to do with it, as far as carving. It works very well for editing any images, as well as drawing. Am still exploring it use for carving projects myself. If you have any questons, maybe I can help.

dougmsbbs
04-11-2007, 11:10 PM
I use PSP 7.0 for everything I do here. I havn't ran into anything yet that it won't do for me.
It's not the software that counts, it's how well you know how to use whatever software you have...

CallNeg151
04-12-2007, 12:09 AM
I'm using Paint Shop Pro 9 and Xara Xtreme. I use both because each does some things better than the other . The photo editing in Xara stinks, and the vector tools in PSP is nothing to write home about. I agree, it's not the program that counts, its what you do with it.

Celticharper1
04-12-2007, 01:43 AM
Thanks for your replies, so basically I need to learn how to use PSP more thoroughly then (have had it, but haven't used it that much) my daughter knows how to use it quite well but for other purposes, her skills don't utilize methods that would serve my purposes here for the CW . . . for instance, found some images of plaques to experiment with, should I start by converting them to greyscale or fewer colors? just as an example?

I realize that each image is likely to have special needs, this just seems like common sense to me, but if there are any standards, I'd appreciate any and all tips to get started.

From what I understand so far, I need to adjust my shading to be very gradual to simulate a height map, lighter=higher, darker equals more depth.

Correct me if I'm wrong (please) and as mentioned above any tips at all are appreciated.

I wish there were lessons for this stuff *specifically*. I have studied others scans via probe and think with some patience I can simulate that in Paint Shop.

=0)
Celticharper1