PDA

View Full Version : Not lucky after all...

CallNeg151
04-11-2007, 09:24 PM
Well, I shouldn't have said I was one of the lucky ones. I was 55 minutes into a 1 hour carve, and my CompuCarve spontaneously stopped with the bit still plunged into the wood.

The LCD was completely blank, and adjusting contrast to extremes didn't change the display, so there seems to be no power at all. I checked the wall socket, and it's good, but switched it over just for good measure. Still nothing. I checked that I could still read the card on my computer, and it looked good, but I re-flashed the firmware anyway. Still nothing.

I'm almost at day 90, so I think I'll just exchange it back to Sears unless an answer just pops up, since it seems like it might be the fastest way to get another one to keep making sawdust. Besides, if I keep getting one every 90 days, I can keep my unit under warranty forever!

Jeff_Birt
04-11-2007, 09:35 PM
Sounds like maybe the issue with the coil on the power supply. Why not call CW and confirm. As I recall, they will send you out a replacment.

CallNeg151
04-11-2007, 09:42 PM
Sounds like maybe the issue with the coil on the power supply. Why not call CW and confirm. As I recall, they will send you out a replacment.
Yeah, that's the sort of solution that I figure might just pop up, so I'll get on the phone tomorrow.

Just on a side note, I miss Bard. For all of his quirks and attitude, knowing he was around inspired a lot of patience.

pkunk
04-11-2007, 09:49 PM
Yeah, that's the sort of solution that I figure might just pop up, so I'll get on the phone tomorrow.

Just on a side note, I miss Bard. For all of his quirks and attitude, knowing he was around inspired a lot of patience.
If all goes right, we'll have a representative from CW here soon.

CallNeg151
04-12-2007, 12:00 AM
Methinks it's just a routine power supply problem. On the DC output going to the carving computer, V1 is giving me a perfect 5.0 volts, which seems about what I would expect. V2, on the other hand, is giving no voltage. I'm presuming that it's supposed to give 3 volts. Does anyone know what the V2 voltage is supposed to be?

Maybe I'll get them to send out a new quick-change while they're at it, and I'll be up and running in no time. Then all I need is my probe and centerline!

benluz
04-12-2007, 06:54 AM
24 volts I believe.That is the voltage that runs the dc motors.Trouble shoot and fix the unit your self, if you take it back ands get another you will never build confidence about repairs and will worry ...."is it going to break".For your problem you will need a volt meter, get on on the phone to tech support.Have the bottom removed and meter on hand,so when they call you will be ready.At least this has been my experience.
Ben

GIZMO1D1
04-12-2007, 07:15 AM
please see : my posting http://carvewright.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2090

CallNeg151
04-12-2007, 09:06 AM
please see : my posting http://carvewright.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2090

I remember seeing that, and I think it's the same or similar. Thanks for linking it!

Benluz: I have no doubt about the ease of fixing this, my only problem is that I have a day job that doesn't give me access to a telephone (and I get no cell reception there), so I have about 1 1/2 hours in the morning (due to the time change) where I am able to talk to tech support. I've got a call into tech support, and am hoping I will be called back soon. Otherwise, I hope they will call tomorrow morning.

benluz
04-12-2007, 10:23 AM
I remember seeing that, and I think it's the same or similar. Thanks for linking it!

Benluz: I have no doubt about the ease of fixing this, my only problem is that I have a day job that doesn't give me access to a telephone (and I get no cell reception there), so I have about 1 1/2 hours in the morning (due to the time change) where I am able to talk to tech support. I've got a call into tech support, and am hoping I will be called back soon. Otherwise, I hope they will call tomorrow morning.

yes...that can be a problem.I often play phone tag with tech support as well.So far my main problems are with the z-motor&encoder.They are redesigning that unit to make more durable and the new unit will fit on the older machines.Thee z head takes all the pounding and vibration.my last problem it would start carving just fine and either the z-encoder would loose track of where the bottom is and drift up and down.But a new encoder will fix her up and is quick to do.Well good luck,let me know if you need any help.
Ben

CallNeg151
04-13-2007, 10:44 AM
And they are sending me a new power supply and quick-change! Thank you LHR. I should be back up and carving in no time!