PDA

View Full Version : Weird cut pattern

RBeau1954
04-11-2007, 12:26 PM
I designed a board that had multiple parts on it. When I put it in the machine it would cut one, move to a different place, cut another one then go back up and cut next to the one it cut before. I thought there was a problem with the software and that it didn't work right but I think it cuts the pieces in the order you put it on the board. I was making another jewelry box and put the sides, ends and top all on one board.

Rick

Charles M
04-11-2007, 01:30 PM
Rick,

Did you try going to View and clicking on Carving List to see the order the cuts are made? You can reorder them in that list.

meat
04-11-2007, 02:14 PM
I designed a board that had multiple parts on it. When I put it in the machine it would cut one, move to a different place, cut another one then go back up and cut next to the one it cut before. I thought there was a problem with the software and that it didn't work right but I think it cuts the pieces in the order you put it on the board. I was making another jewelry box and put the sides, ends and top all on one board.

The cut order can be changed, but unless you're standing there watching it (and I know you are. I do it, too ) it's probably not all that important.

Your pal,
Meat.

Charles M
04-11-2007, 02:17 PM
Meat,

You're probably right for most every instance but it was important for me on a project recently because one of the 4 cutout pieces came loose inside the machine while it was cutting something else. Had to completely start over.

RBeau1954
04-11-2007, 03:51 PM
It didn't bother me once I figured out what it was doing, and YES, I do watch it, stand there with my ear plugs in and watch it, it does still fascinate me. I have over 20 hrs on the machine and it is still an amazing piece of equipment.

Rick

benluz
04-11-2007, 09:17 PM
It didn't bother me once I figured out what it was doing, and YES, I do watch it, stand there with my ear plugs in and watch it, it does still fascinate me. I have over 20 hrs on the machine and it is still an amazing piece of equipment.

Rick

Yes...me too.We are suppose to get more done with machines like this....lol
One shop that got a full sized cnc said "We got far less work done at first because everybody wanted to watch" ! There goes the productivity.

kerfster
04-11-2007, 10:36 PM
If you are cutting multiple parts out of a single piece of wood there are a couple of easy fixes that are commonly used when CNC cutting.

1. Mount the workpiece on a piece of 1/4" MDF or Masonite spoilboard using hide glue or (with caution) double backed tape. Set the cut depth to penetrate the spoiler about 1/16". Use a putty knife to break the pieces loose from the tape or a heat gun to break loose the hide glue.

2. Design your external contour to contain thin tabs around the boundary. They can be cut away with a section of saw blade and sanded to remove any artifacts.

I am personally partial to tabs because most double backed tape will smear up on a side during cutting and can be a royal pain to clean off.

There are probably plenty of other possible techniques. Do a search on

http://www.woodworkslive.com/index.php

using the keyword "fixturing". Lots of good experience there.

"furniture is a fortunate by-product of kerf formation"

benluz
04-12-2007, 06:41 AM
Thanks for that info, as I'm purchading a 60 x 96 shopsabre and need to learn a few things.
Ben