PDA

View Full Version : Weird request

nodwell
04-10-2007, 04:56 PM
My probe hasn’t arrived yet but I received a job request this morning. A fisherman at work has a frozen catch he wants me to scan and carve. I remember a post awhile back (pkunk I believe) where he stated that the heat generated from scanning was affecting the paint on the piece he was using. Don’t want the fish to thaw and cook on my baby.

Any thoughts on whether I should attempt this or decline the job?

Thanks
Don

rjustice
04-10-2007, 05:05 PM
I have not received my probe yet, but i have read several posts about taking 5 hours, 7 hours etc.... how big is your fish?... LMAO... you might be able to do a sardine, and scale it up?....

Ron

pkunk
04-10-2007, 05:09 PM
My probe hasn’t arrived yet but I received a job request this morning. A fisherman at work has a frozen catch he wants me to scan and carve. I remember a post awhile back (pkunk I believe) where he stated that the heat generated from scanning was affecting the paint on the piece he was using. Don’t want the fish to thaw and cook on my baby.

Any thoughts on whether I should attempt this or decline the job?

Thanks
Don
There is no heat from the probe, but it might take some scales off. Guess he'd thank you for that? :p I think I'd try it -just watch it close for awhile at the beginning.

pkunk
04-10-2007, 05:11 PM
I have not received my probe yet, but i have read several posts about taking 5 hours, 7 hours etc.... how big is your fish?... LMAO... you might be able to do a sardine, and scale it up?....

Ron
Oh, I didn't think of the time factor! :confused: Guess you could open the lid once in awhile and pack some dry ice around it to refreeze.:p :p

nodwell
04-10-2007, 05:23 PM
Thanks for the input. I'll have to think about it for awhile and play with probe when it arrives. I will post results if I deside to try it - who knows could open up a new area to help pay for machine.

Don

rgant05
04-10-2007, 06:25 PM
You might want to scan it at a lower resolution to reduce the time to scan. I tend to think if it is really hard when you start, that you can scan it before it can get too soft. Another challenge is what are you going to attach it to your sled with? Double stick tape and glue are not going to be very good choices. May be drill through it and screw it down, then touch up the file once scanned to do away with the scan of the screw.... just some thoughts.

Roger

P.S. If you haven't gotten your scanner yet..... think you will get it before the fish gets freezer burn and rots ???? LMAO

Kenm810
04-10-2007, 06:52 PM
You put the screws up through the sled, no touch ups.
Wait a minute, isn't the machine supposed to be sensetive to cold.
That's one good chunk of frozen fish there.
or is that a problem only when your are actually carving.;)

Gman_Ind
04-10-2007, 08:08 PM
You could super freeze it with a nitrogen bath wear gloves and use tongs when working with liquid nitrogen. And spray a little part way through to keep it frozen. If you don'r have access to Liquid nitrogen yow might get clever with dry ice. You can invert a can of compressed gas duster and spray liguid onto the fish to keep it frozen.

pkunk
04-10-2007, 08:40 PM
Here's another idea. :p Make a plaster cast of the fish. Real fast & the fish can be returned to the freezer. Clear coat the plaster, scan, & discard.:roll:

rgant05
04-10-2007, 08:43 PM
I came back cause I had a brain storm only to find that Pkunk had just posted the same idea..... guess its true that great minds think alike :) LOL

JOHNB
04-10-2007, 09:11 PM
Save Yourself A Lot Of Time And Hassles-don't Stink Up Your New Machine. Use Enclosed Pattern And Make It As Large As You Want.(lol)

pkunk
04-10-2007, 09:22 PM
I came back cause I had a brain storm only to find that Pkunk had just posted the same idea..... guess its true that great minds think alike :) LOL
Heheh :p Ok then!

Gman_Ind
04-10-2007, 09:28 PM
What type of release agent would you apply to the fish.

slight pun...

pkunk
04-10-2007, 09:31 PM
What type of release agent would you apply to the fish.

slight pun...
No barb :D Maybe cooking oil? :) :p

menewfy
04-10-2007, 10:03 PM
well here is an idea take a digital pic of it and see how that turns out. might not be as good as a scan but hey just might work.

want2b
04-11-2007, 08:33 PM
Waiting for my scanner so can't speak from experience but with the shape of a fish being what it is and probably being thicker than 1 inch how would the scanner handle the edges since they would not be flat on the sled?

pkunk
04-11-2007, 09:19 PM
Waiting for my scanner so can't speak from experience but with the shape of a fish being what it is and probably being thicker than 1 inch how would the scanner handle the edges since they would not be flat on the sled?
Maybe it's a flatfish like a flounder? :p You can set the depth of scan so it only does the 1" and the probe just drops off the edge but doesn't register.

want2b
04-12-2007, 11:13 AM
Thx for the info, wondered if there had to be a continous area to be scanned. Appreciate the jump on my 'learning curve'.

Ted Grinnell
04-14-2007, 02:46 AM
I WOULD SUGGEST TO YOUR FRIEND THAT HE LET YOU CARVE HIM A PLAQUE THAT HAS A SIMULAR FISH ON IT AND THEN EITHER TEXT HIS CATCH ON THE FRONT OR BACK OF HIS TROPHY:

JOHN SMITH
LARGEMOUTH BASS
27 lb 3 oz
BLUE LAKE
06/05/06

I HAVE MADE SOME NICE ONES USING A SLANT CUT ON A LOG AND PUTTING THE ACKNOWLEDGEMENT ON THE BACK SIDE. WHO KNOWS HE MAY WANT MORE TO ADD TO HIS COLLECTION OF PERSONAL RECORDS.

IF NOTHING ELSE - FOOD FOR THOUGHT.