PDA

View Full Version : Cut path for Spline Tool

Pat D
04-10-2007, 03:23 PM
Hi All: I finally purchased a machine after lurking and drooling for over a year. First saw the Carvewright as a demo at the 2006 Kansas City Woodworking show. I haven't carved anything yet, trying to get used to the software. Not being an experiences CAD user I am slowly learning.
One question; I would like to use this machine to do, among other things, pattern cuts for grandfather clocks I make. I was playing with the software and using the spline tool to make some curved lines on a board for the decorative top of the clock. I can get the curves right and mirror the cut so it cuts all the way across the board but I can't get the cut path tool to show up so I can select the cut. I know it has to be a closed path and I guess this is what I am doind wrong but I am not sure how to accomplish that. I set one end of the cut at 0.00 thinking this would take it to the end of the board and the other mirrored end too, but it still does not work. Any suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
One more ??. If you want the board to stay under rollers do you have to add the extra length in the software or just make the board 6 inches longer than the drawing and let the machine adjust to the pattern?

Aaron B
04-11-2007, 07:29 AM
First the board question. In the software make the board the size it will be when you are done with it. When you hit stay under rollers it adds 7" to the length you entered in the software.

I had problems with getting cut path to show up, but I found out I wasn't making sure my points connected with each other. I thought they did, but when I went to move one it moved by itself so I then connected it. Make sure that "x" shows up when you click your point to close.

Pat D
04-11-2007, 08:11 AM
Thanks Aaron, I'll try that.