PDA

View Full Version : New tool

TDA
04-10-2007, 09:49 AM
Hi guys, I have been a lurker here for some time now and finally got a machine. I had a few questions most of which I have been able to find answers to in other posts (start with cheap wood, simple projects, ect.) but I still have one. Has anyone tried this tool (link (http://www.precisebits.com/products/carbidebits/taperedcarve250b4f.asp?txtsearchParamTxt=tapered&txtsearchParamCat=ALL&I1.x=0&I1.y=0&txtsearchParamType=ALL&iLevel=1&txtsearchParamMan=ALL&txtsearchParamVen=ALL&txtFromSearch=fromSearch))? Their home page has some more info on it too (link (http://www.precisebits.com/default.htm)). Oh, and as much as I've grabbed from other posts I wouldn't say no to any more advise :D.

Jeff_Birt
04-10-2007, 10:04 AM
I have been using one for the last few projects. The one thing I have noticed is that is does seem to cut quiter, which is generally a good sign that the machien is being loaded less. It's a four flute bit as oppposed to the three flute bit that comes with teh machine. I have tried cutting some 'fuzzier' woods with it, such as pine, soft maple and poplar. I have not noticed much diffrence in the amount of fuzz produced bit the pine pieces I did did seem to clean up much easier.

Mike
04-10-2007, 02:02 PM
If they get delivered quickly it is worth a try.

benluz
04-10-2007, 02:44 PM
It looks good.At least now we have a back up source.It's not good when the product you want can only be purchased from one supplier.I have never been crazy about proprietary parts,but sometimes there is a good reason.

TDA
04-10-2007, 11:19 PM
Well I ordered 2 earlier today so I guess I'll see how quickly they get here and what they're like. I'll keep you posted.

Also sorry for putting this in the wrong section. If a Mod wants to move it feel free (that's what happens when you post without coffee).

pamjmayo
04-11-2007, 01:24 AM
My flex shaft broke leaving a portion of it stuck in the quick release. i called CW and they are sending a new one. I know this may take months, but does anyone know if there is any other place I can purchase one?

forqnc
04-11-2007, 06:49 AM
My flex shaft broke leaving a portion of it stuck in the quick release. i called CW and they are sending a new one. I know this may take months, but does anyone know if there is any other place I can purchase one?

Can't help you with finding another source, but do not buy the sears quick change, as it does not work. Carvewright is a female thread and sears is a male thread. Just my input to stop you wasting money like I did.

MarkJamesDesign
04-11-2007, 08:35 AM
My quick change chuck was sticking really bad. When I called CW and reported it, they put the order through before I could even finish telling them my problem. Had the new chuck in 3 days.

benluz
04-12-2007, 07:12 AM
I made a solid chuck form the old one.If you have access to a welder it is really easy.I have my new quick rout chuck now,but the solid makes a good back up.One thing I noticed that I did not do is clean the chuck as described in the manual wire brush the ends and oil it.Sawdust gets packed in around the outside edges and once a bit begins to move around while carving....that's it ,the chuck is damaged.
Ben

TDA
04-12-2007, 09:30 AM
Well I got my 2 carving tools yesterday via DHL. I was a little surprised until I found out they were shipping from 30 minutes north of me. I guess I could have picked them up and saved shipping. Oh well, live and learn. I can’t tell you how well they carve since my machine won’t do anything but give me z axis stall errors :( . I can tell you that are very sharp and care should be taken when handling them unless you want to have matching wounds with me :) . I attached a few pictures of the tools, if I can get a better one I’ll post it later. And if I can get this thing to work I’ll let you know how they carve. Wish me luck.