PDA

View Full Version : Edge Detection Failed error:400

icormba
04-09-2007, 04:27 PM
Hi all,
got my first real error after about 20 hours of carving time logged! I'm still happy with the machine but I wonder if anyone has run into this and found a solution that worked? I tried a search that revealed 2 topics in which I conducted the suggested remedies that didn't help me. Any others?

Here are the details...

File Name:
Edge Detection Failed error:400

Project:
Measure Board

Firmware:
1.120 & 1.119

steps I've taken to try and correct error code:400

Cleaned/brushed off board sensor

Checked sensor wiring, looked fine

Tried light pine 3/4" and 1/2" and cherry 1/2, same error

Tried "options" "calibration" but it wouldn't get passed the Edge Detection Failed error: 400

thanks, chris

Skyhawk
04-09-2007, 04:56 PM
From the main CW menu, go into Options then sensor check (7 I think) and check the reading of the sensor with a light colored board under the sensor...If your reading under 50 or so the sensor is probably dirty.

You can remove the sensor with 2 screws and 1 wire harness...

Pry off a small cover on the back and remove the plastic window that covers the eyes...

Clean this window with a cotton cloth and reassemble...

Recheck the sensor reading (should be well above 50 now)

Cliff
04-09-2007, 04:58 PM
Is that the one under the 'Y' truck that sometimes gets fine sawdust between the sensor cover and the sensor?

Cliff
04-09-2007, 04:58 PM
See Skyhawk you are getting faster.

Skyhawk
04-09-2007, 05:14 PM
Yes, the one under the z truck ... I've been practicing my typing...:)

icormba
04-09-2007, 06:19 PM
Thanks guys!

Got a reading of 0. Got the sensor off, went inside the house to get the window piece off and the window went flying! I have no idea where it went! :(

Went back out to the garage just to see if I could get readings... came out to 150-151.

How important is the little window anyway? I can understand the purpose if it's meant to keep out dust, but if the stated purpose isn't working... you think it's needed? The led's seem pretty durable. :confused:

liquidguitars
04-09-2007, 06:29 PM
How important is the little window anyway?

My board sensor ran fine without it, but call CW and order a new one soon.

Lig

Cliff
04-09-2007, 06:31 PM
I've seen at leat one other poster running without it, this would mean foreign matter can get where it doesn't belong. try it if you wish at some risk in the short term but contact the makers of the Carvewright for a replacement.

icormba
04-09-2007, 07:01 PM
Will do! thanks!

darn tiny pieces! ;)

d_swan
04-15-2007, 05:52 PM
I'm about ready to cry.

Right after a successful run, the CW failed at the beginning of its next project: board sensor failure

Diagnostic reads "0", so I suspect a bad connection.

So I crank up the top to get at the sensor.

Now it won't go back down, since there's no way to override the torque limiter on the crank.

I'm very, very frustrated.

Jeff_Birt
04-15-2007, 06:03 PM
In the manual it tells you not to crank it all the way up and it even tells you what to do to fix it...there are small holes in the jacking screws. Silp a small allen wrench in the hole the rote the shaft to lower it. Look in you user manual for the pictures and better instructions. I would also suggest removing the sensor for a good cleaning. This process has been described many times here, just do a quick search.

d_swan
04-15-2007, 06:35 PM
Yup. Getting the head to come down was easy. It was just extra frustrating to have one known problem get in the way of my addressing another. :-(

As for the board sensor: I checked and the LEDs are emitting their infra-red light, so I'm convinced that the connections are good. So, tomorrow, I'll go buy a short screwdriver and take the sensor assembly apart and clean it, again.

Tip for checking IR:

Use a digital camera. Turn on the CW and go to the sensor diagnostics for the board sensor. Then take a picture (no flash!) of the sensor. If your digital camera is like 99% of the ones out there, you'll see the IR LED's shining a nice and bright blue-green.

ramlin
04-18-2007, 03:18 PM
I know this is not related to error code 400, but I was doing a carving,
and the carving finished OK, then it asked for the cutting bit, to cut
a rectange around the carving. It started fine, went down the left
side Ok, and across the back OK, then started down the right side
and about halfway down, the cutting bit broke. The machine gave
and error code of 440??? I called CW and spoke to Hope. She said
that she did not think the error code was anything. It did not record
on the flash card. (as a by the way), as I was blowing out the
machine afterwards, three brand new nuts came from inside the
machine. Looks like they never had been used. I asked Hope about
it, and she says that is possible. The machine is made in China,
and I think they have got a big QC problem. Attached photos of
the carving and the nuts.

icormba
04-18-2007, 11:31 PM
My update:

I talked with Chris from tech services Tuesday of last week... they sent out a new sensor and it was in my mailbox Saturday (could have been Friday, but I didn't check the mail that day). Very FAST! thanks CW!

I took note of those who sealed them to keep the dust out. So I got some thermal ESD tape from work and used that. I'll see how it holds up.

another note to self... make sure you reconnect the connector good!! haha! :D

HillBilly
04-19-2007, 01:56 AM
Not meaning to be facetious "ramlin", but what size were the nuts ?

The carving seems to be lacking on control of the edges somewhat.

The question IMO, would be where they came from ?

And to what extent they have played within the outcome of it.

ramlin
04-19-2007, 07:17 AM
HillBilly, you are right about the carving, it was not a very good
design to begin with, and I knew about the edges. It was not
meant to be a final product, only a step up in trying to use the
machine. I just received it on 4/6/07. The nuts that came out
of the machine were approx 1/4 inch. Since they all appear to
be brand new, I can assume they did not come loose from
something inside the machine. It made no difference
with the outcome. But since they came from inside the machine,
I would have to assume they were there when the machine was
assembled and shipped. I know a lot of people have posted a
lot of error codes they have encountered, but it sure would be
nice to see a list of error codes by number as a quick reference.
Thanks for you input.

peep
08-24-2007, 11:43 AM
Just finishing a 11 1/2 hour carving Project and stepped out to answer the door with only 2 % left. When I came back I had a 440 error code and the truck was at an angle.

I also noticed it decided to carve a box at each end of the board. what gives? Its a viking snake knot pattern on African Paduk wood. After a quick cleaning I discovered two bearings on the board. One bearing plastic sleave is badly twisted. After a good cleaning I reassembled. Now get a error 400. :(

Hope nothing is destroyed. I made sure to lift the lid often and vaccuum. I changed the flexshaft half way with a spare for lubing.

Anyone had this happen?

Error code Peep

BobHill
08-24-2007, 11:50 AM
Ramlin,

Check the four column bolts UNDER the machine and see if they aren't missing the nuts. The color of those nuts are the same (at least on my old machine) and I found out the hard way when one was missing, as each time the top was raised it loosened things more and more until I had a major fault. Three would be really bad. But then I've also found extra parts at times, when apparently something got "lost" and another just took it's place. This was all during the time when there were a lot of "new tech" hires.

Bob

Digitalwoodshop
08-24-2007, 01:08 PM
Noticed my loose bearing at a bit change. I would get in a habit of tugging on the Z every bit change. The Z bearings as seen in my Z post with pictures. The left is solid and the right side is off set so you turn both to expand the distance between the bearings. Tension snug but not too tight.

Good Luck,

AL