PDA

View Full Version : Learning Curve

wunderkind
04-08-2007, 09:01 PM
Is it possible to put a carving on a curved door - as long as it isn't more then 1" deep & it could fit in the 14 1/2" width? If so, can it be done with Turbo CAD & then - How do you make a conversion from CAD to .ptn? Thanks for replies.

Jim

rgant05
04-09-2007, 01:39 AM
It may very well be possible, but I think there may be issues because the machine will be expecting the flat surface. Second the Designer will be putting the items on the "curved surface in somewhat a "straight from the top of the machine" fashion. The orientation of the patterns or letters will not line up pointing directly back to the center of the curved arch radius.

As far as going from TurboCad, AutoCad or like programs. At this point in time there is no way to "get there from here". I have heard that there may be importation support of some types of CAD files in future "professional" versions of the Designer program, but I would have no clue as to how this would be done or what level of drawings will be possible to import (ie 2d isometric or 3d solid etc) There may be some better incouragement regarding the curved door project but I see some definite problem areas.

Roger

Greybeard
04-09-2007, 09:01 AM
Jim, I'm very interested in how far the software will go, but in order to help, could you provide more detail.
For example, I presume the curve of the door is around a vertical axis, and a chord drawn across from one side to the other is a maximum of 1" deep at the centre ?
Or do you mean that the carving has a maximum depth of 1" but set onto the curved surface of the door ?

The first has possibilities, the second is a no-no, unless........?

While the software will produce a carving whose surface(not direction) is curved, Designer cuts relative to a measured "height" of the board, taken at the start of the project running.

I think it measures near the edge of the board during the set up, so if you put in a bowed board you're going to have problems.
If the design of the carving allows, it might be possible to do it in sections, with the machine being "fooled" into what height the board is.

If you wish to persue this and do are prepared to do some experiments, I can expand on a method I've just thought of. :)

Does the carving have to be into the surface of the door ? Could it be an applied carving ? If the latter, this would allow the possibility of bending the carving to fit the door, or even carving the back of each piece to fit the curve of the door.

Regards

John

wunderkind
04-10-2007, 07:23 PM
I believe it would be too hard to treat as barrel staves but looking in the direction of taking advantage of the 5" max height & the 14" max width to possibly carve the front including the arc. Is there a way of cheating the software into carving on an arc but vertically? Or am I too far in left field? I'm wanting to make a round cabinet & of course putting a carving on it to top it off but not sure how to tackle it. Thanks for your help.
Jim

meat
04-10-2007, 07:45 PM
Carve first, steam bend, titebond to door.

Your pal,
Meat.

rgant05
04-11-2007, 01:17 AM
Now Meat,
That is the most workable idea I have seen yet. I have never tried steam bending but I think I would check into it for this particular senerio. That would keep all of your patterns or designs facing back to the radius of the bend, which is something that you couldn't achieve with by carving a curved surface even if you could get around the fact that the machine is geared for cutting a flat surface.

wunderkind
04-13-2007, 01:20 AM
As I said, I was building a round cabinet with a curved door to match the radius of the cabinet. Steaming is too hard & unreliable for cabinetry I have found. I using bendy board for the sides so maybe I will try it on the door panel too. I put a piece of plywood in the carver to see what would happen & it turned out cool - different. Just dont use the cheap stuff. Thanks.
Jim