04-08-2007, 06:24 PM
This one is 16"X10.5" carved in centerline

Bill
04-08-2007, 06:31 PM
Hello Kurt,
Very nice, well done http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif

randygeorge
04-19-2007, 02:54 PM
Kurt, can you please send me the .mpc file so i can reproduce this?

Thanks!!!

rjustice
04-19-2007, 03:11 PM
Kurt... I really like the effect you got with the darker stain in the lettering... was this a wipe on stain that you simply left heavy in the crevaces???

If you dont mind sharing i would love to know... I am wanting to create this effect on other carvings where the top surface isnt smoothe... I did a plaque for my wife with grapes on it and i would love to get that antique type look like you see on cabinets... ours is a cherry with "chocolate glaze" .... leaves nice dark contrast in the corners and in the distressed areas of the wood...

If you or anyone else could fill me in on that technique i would really appreciate it...

Ron

John
04-19-2007, 08:54 PM
Kurt can tell you how he accomplished the look but I can give you some general tips on staining. If you want a wood surface to be dark, (ie absorb a lot of stain,) you want to stop sanding around 120 grit. If you want it to be light (ie. absorb little stain,) sand down to 320 or even 400 grit. Wood that has an inactive surface will absorb little stain, (ie. a pine board that has set for a long period of time and has not been sanded) and will probably be blotchy and will come out quite light and will not have good adhesion between the wood and the finish. The surface needs to be active, which requires some sanding. Finish scrapers leave a very slick surface and they will not absorb much stain. End grain will soak up a lot of stain and may have light patches where the stain was absorbed so far into the wood it leaves little color on the surface, which normally means you need to put another coat on the end grain..........So how does this apply to a carved surface?? There will be some end grain exposed on a carved surface. These ares will stain darker. The long grain surfaces if left rough will also absorb quite a bit of stain. The areas you can sand, the finer grit you work down to the less stain will be absorbed. In your case, sanding the top surfaces of the grapes will make them turn out lighter than the deeper portions. You can also lighten areas by wiping with a rag and a small amount of solvent (paint thinner, water...whatever is compatible with your stain.) So in Kurt's case, it can generally be said, the letters are darker because they have not been sanded to a fine grit and have a somewhat rough texture. While the surface is lighter because it is long grain and has been sanded to a much smoother surface.

One problem I have seen numerous times with inexperienced wood finishers is not wiping the excess stain off. The stained surface on the long grain should be smooth. It should be wiped until a white wiping cloth is not picking up much color at all. Kind of like polishing wax. Not getting the excess off will leave a muddy appearance after the clear finish is applied. If you are worried you are removing too much stain and it won't be as dark as you want, then you need to make the surface rougher (sand again, with the grain with a courser grit) or use a darker stain. Rarely, does putting on a second coat of the same stain make the long grain surfaces darker. In fact it may make them lighter. To make something darker without sanding again, sometimes applying a spit coat of shellac before putting on the second coat will help. As will going to a much darker stain for a second coat of stain. Of course you can always adjust the color, to a small degree by using toners in the finish......will leave that subject for another day. Hope this helps.

BTW That deep cherry color is often accomplished by using a dark red mahogany stain and then using a deep burgundy glaze over it.

Sorry about rambling on. John

natman
04-19-2007, 09:32 PM
My brother is in the fire department and I would like to have that as well to make for him for his birthday. You thunk you could shoot me a file of that:D

Kurtsara
04-20-2007, 05:10 AM
We stained it without a sanding sealer and let the stain sit in the letters for a minute and then wiped the excess off.

Here is the file if it works