PDA

View Full Version : Incurable Disease

MarkJamesDesign
04-07-2007, 08:08 PM
I have been self diagnosed with acute CarveWrightitis, (more commonly known as inflammation of the imagination). A mental disorder for which there is no cure. You yourself may be afflicted with CarveWrightitis and not even know. The common symptoms are as follows:

Loss of sleep.

Loss of appetite.

The uncontrollable uttering of the words carving, machine, or "I could make that" in every conversation you are in.

Your begin to prefer the smell of sawdust and wood stain to soap and deoderant.

Everything you see, (and I do mean everything) is instantly classified as either can or can't be made on the CarveWright.

Your house (and all of your friends and relatives houses) are filled with wooden signs and decorations.

Unfortunately, there is no cure. Sufferers of this affliction must accept their fate and try live as normal a life as possible. Contrary to spousal opinion, hours in the lumber yard or the building materials dept. of Home Depot or Lowes only seem to worsen the condition. Any other insight on this affliction is welcome.

(CarveWrightitis is not to be confused with CarveWrightis, which is the dull ache in ones lower back from leaning over to peer into the machine's cover for hours at a time.)

Jim
CarveWrightitis sufferer

HillBilly
04-07-2007, 08:19 PM
RITFLMAO.....Good one Jim.

So now I understand what has come over me. My wife had been asking me why I hadn`t been sleeping much lately and what had been happening to some of the wooden objects (such as the dining room table) around the house as more and more of them just seem to be "disapearing"... ;)

RBeau1954
04-08-2007, 02:12 AM
When my kids were growing up I would never have gone out to see what was wrong when they would go bump in the night, just elbowed the wife to check on the kids, let my CW hiccup and I am there in a flash to see what is wrong. I am getting better as the confidence in the machine builds but was tense in the first few hours, peeking in on it to see if it was ok.

Rick

MarkJamesDesign
04-08-2007, 08:26 AM
9:20am on Easter Sunday and I'm headed to Home Depot. I'm ill.

Skyhawk
04-08-2007, 08:44 AM
9:20am on Easter Sunday and I'm headed to Home Depot. I'm ill.

Ahhh, so you haven't learned to mask it yet...I went last night so that I could carve today!

Gman_Ind
04-08-2007, 09:01 AM
Hello my name is Mike and I am addicted to CC carving.
It is Easter Sunday and I have the forum and the CW software running in two windows. I was up into the night trying to figure out how to carve a perfect half sphere, I had two people come back to get me to eat Sunday breakfast before I got up.
If there is a cure for my addiction I want no part of it.

Kenm810
04-08-2007, 09:16 AM
There's and old saying (Doctor First Cure Thy Self) -- CarveWrightitis -- I wouldn't have clue how.
Besides I don’t wanna!:p

benluz
04-08-2007, 09:22 AM
Caution Carvewright is a gateway machine !!! and may lead to stronger stuff !!

As we classify objects to either "can carve" or "can't carve"..... once we are satisfied with all that we can carve with this machine...and the list is long.The true addicts are haunted by the can't carve list which leads to late night sessions on the computer looking at big cnc machines and hiding from your wife as you make notes and do calculations.The next stage of the disease you will be making calls to large machine manufacturer's and unfortunately at this stage the disease cannot be cured, but it can put in to remission by a large purchase. This has happened to me .....don't let it happen to you!..... your wife may leave !

Digitalwoodshop
04-08-2007, 09:28 AM
CA the 12 step program. CarveWright Anonymous

admitting that one has a serious, uncontrollable problem;
recognizing that a higher (spiritual) power can help;
helping others with the same problem.

LOL....

eagle1
04-08-2007, 10:24 AM
It is Easter Sunday, got out of bed, poured my coffee and went to my computer to review the posts, links and patterns on this forum and others. I now look at all things with what I call the “The Carvewrite Syndrome” ---- I have contracted the I Saw, I Carved, I Created Disease..:p.
“Decades ago addiction was a pharmacologic term that clearly referred to the use of a tolerance-inducing drug in sufficient quantity as to cause tolerance (the requirement that greater dosages of a given drug be used to produce an identical effect as time passes).”
With that definition, woodworkers can become addicted to the Carvewrite Machine quickly. Almost at the same time, a lay definition of addiction developed. This definition referred to individuals who continued to use this wonderful tool despite their own best interest. This latter definition is now thought of as a disease state by the medical community as CarveWrightitis or The Carvewrite Syndrome

Sarge
04-08-2007, 11:25 AM
Absolutely hilarious!!! JAMA, CDC and WHO have yet to acknowledge this ailment. Taber's Medical Dictionary doesn't list it yet. I'm sure by comparing physical history and symptoms, it exists. I have conducted numerous lab tests and have determined this to be a disease, not an addiction!!!! Disease is spread thru contact (air, skin, other). I'm already in a self-imposed isolation. The wife has resigned herself to the widows lifestyle.

HerbO
04-08-2007, 08:54 PM
Alright I confess...the last outlaw(I mean inlaw) just left and fist thing I do is run in and check the forum. The withdrawal was getting to me.:)
By the way Happy Easter Everyone!!

HerbO

Greybeard
04-09-2007, 09:14 AM
And you all think you have problems.
I have it and don't even have a machine.
But there's worse to come. It's contagious - my wife says she has it as well. Can you begin to imagine the two of us wandering through the market, both saying "we could carve that" and "that ---- you always wanted to start making - I think the cw could do that with a bit of modifying".

Regards to all sufferers, everywhere,

John

eagle1
04-09-2007, 10:52 AM
Greybeard - my son 17, years old, now has it .... we are now scheduling time on the CW - LOL It is Contagious :D

Hanna
04-09-2007, 01:20 PM
Thankfully there is no cure! However, your pain can be eased and your anxiety put to rest.

You will need a membership to a local catering service to provide one meal a day, unless you are fortunate enough to have a supportive spouse that will provide this without requiring you to leave the shop to partake. Although it will be hard, you must stop designing long enough to eat it, however you may eat sitting in front of your computer reading the forum, and your carvewright may be running as you eat. That will make it easier. You must keep up your strength. Otherwise all brain function will cease, and your brain is already maxed out.

Fill a 50 gallon barrel with your favorite beverage, affix a piece of tubing to it and affix a shut off valve on the end of the tubing. Hang the end with the shut off valve near your computer so fluids are readily available. You must remember to drink occasionally. If you don't I'm afraid we will have to go the IV route.

Thus your physical needs will be met......oh, I hope you have a bathroom in your shop, and that it is between your computer and your carvewright. Be strong.....use it once in a while!

Next we must make sure you have all the supplies you need, so you will have to be strong and take the time to make a phone call to your favorite wood and things store. I know it is hard to pull away long enough to do this so make the most of it. Order a semi load of lumber, sanding supplies, stain, paint and finishing supplies.....and whatever tools you may need to use to finish your projects. Include in your order a sturdy lock for your shop door, and some large blocks of foam. When the truck arrives have the driver unload it all and arrange it in your shop. You are too tender at this point to pull away long enough to do this. Maybe next time. Oh and have him install the lock as well.

Now that you have all you will need for the next several months, it is time to begin your treatment.

Your first treatment requires you to create a sign for your shop door that reads:

QUARATINE!!!

Place this sign on your shop door, then lock the door....with only you inside.

I suspect that about now most of your anxiety is gone. Now you can relax. You have committed yourself to treatment and there is no turning back.

Place the large blocks of foam around the chair in front of your computer. That way if you should fall asleep you won't hurt yourself.

Cold turkey is not only impossible, it could be deadly. This is a longggggggggggggg gradual process. This first week you will focus on learning to live with this addiction. If at the end of the first month you are able to eat your meal everyday, keep yourself hydrated etc, you are well on your way to success.

Next month a daily shower will be your goal. Oh don't fret, it will be hard to be sure but you can do it, I know you can. Don't worry about that now; you are no where near ready for that at this point. And you thought the quarantine sign was for your sake:)

RC Woodworks
04-09-2007, 01:52 PM
There is a cure, well a delay a need to send it in for repair :( Mine made it to Texas today.

Yes it is contagious, so much it is costing me another $10,000 for a bigger CNC machine!

I hope for the day when all the bugs are worked out of the CC. It is a well thought out machine..... But not thought out well. Better then I do however!

I can't wait for my CC to be fixed and returned!

Julie Coffey
04-10-2007, 09:05 AM
Mark with your permission could I share this?

Thanks much-

Julie :)

phkamenik
04-10-2007, 10:16 AM
I would love to catch this seemly infectious and uncurable diesease but my machine has been broken since February. I was getting responses from tech support within a couple of hours and now I haven't gotten a response in 2 weeks. It's like they disappeared off the face of the earth. Does anyone know what might be going on????

RC Woodworks
04-10-2007, 12:03 PM
ph, please don't tell me your CC is in for repair since Feb.? I just sent mine in and it got there yesterday. I can't wait 2 months for them to return it.

Sorry to hear you have been down since Feb. Please let me know if you have been trying to fix it at home or is it in for repair? :o

-Rick

phkamenik
04-10-2007, 03:42 PM
Just got a call from tech support. Chris is back. Seems that while he was out on the floor for the past 2 weeks, no one else responded to e-mails. He just sent me instructions on what he hopes will repair my machine. Wish me luck that it works.

phkamenik
04-10-2007, 03:47 PM
ph, please don't tell me your CC is in for repair since Feb.? I just sent mine in and it got there yesterday. I can't wait 2 months for them to return it.

Sorry to hear you have been down since Feb. Please let me know if you have been trying to fix it at home or is it in for repair? :o

-Rick
I did not have to send my machine to LHR, just the keyboard panel. When I got it back, I still had the same problem. Chris from tech support thinks I have a misalignment problem as well as my original crank problem. He has sent me instruction on what I need to do. If you had to send your machine in then there must be something different wrong with it. I am hopeful that yours won't take 2 months.

MarkJamesDesign
04-10-2007, 06:16 PM
Julie,
While I appreciate your integrity, I can't imagine who you would share this with that would require my permission. You may share anything I post in this forum.

Jim