PDA

View Full Version : Record "Breaking" Time

rjp736
04-06-2007, 06:33 PM
Got machine #2 today. Load the board, bit, machine does it's set up and begins to carve. On the very first cut all I hear is snap and see the entire collet with snapped of bit spinning on top of the wood along with a piece of the head insert that holds the bit collet in place. A record breaking "break" of 20 seconds total use. Now I had over 40 hrs on the first machine so I know how to load the bit. NOT very happy right now. I have NO idea how to take the collet holder out of the Z truck so I don't know what I'm going to do as far as fixing it. Anyone have this problem? If you did I'm sure you got more that 20 seconds of time on the machine before it broke.

benluz
04-06-2007, 06:49 PM
The quick change collet unscrews from the shaft.Remove the flex cable from the top of the z-truck and insert a 1/4 square drive..I think it's a 1/4" I just ground an old hex head to fit .Then you will need a thin 7/8 ...1/8" thick open end wrench ( you may need to grind a regular thickness wrench down to 1/8") and unscrew the broken piece from the shaft.Now of course you have to call and let them know.I'm in the process of making a solid chuck that will work ...just in case of failures like these.My bit started to wobble and elongated the chuck slots, but it was my own fault I think ,sawdust built up inside the chuck and prevented the bit from locking properly.
Ben

Gman_Ind
04-06-2007, 06:51 PM
dang thats a new record. Never had this happen but you should be able to lift the collet holder up and dig the remaining adapter out, lift the z truck all the way up so you haver room to work. Those 90 degree needle nose pliers might do the trick.

FINGERS
04-06-2007, 06:53 PM
Sorry to hire that I'm going to pick my in the moring hope it's not from the same bacth as your's !

liquidguitars
04-07-2007, 10:48 AM
If you did I'm sure you got more that 20 seconds of time on the machine before it broke.

I had over 100 hrs but the chuck was always sticky, tried to rebuild the chuck but it was far gone, sent the CW in last week for a work over as I could get the same probs with an old run.

Removing the chuck is simple:

You will need a flat wrench 22mm or 7/8 about 1/8 thick for the bottom and a square end allen for the top. Don’t put a regular allen wrench in the spindle top the size you need is the same as the flex shaft.

Grinding an oversize allen does the trick , take the top cap off "2 screws" put your custom allen in the top and wrench the chuck off.

Lig

rjp736
04-07-2007, 11:20 AM
Thanks for the insrructions. I ground a wrench down to fit and got it off with NO problems. Thanks again !!!

FINGERS
04-07-2007, 01:01 PM
Got #3 today set it up on a metal work platform and I'd like to ground the machine to eliminate stadic build-up anybody ground there machine and if so where did you come off the machine.