PDA

View Full Version : Keep it clean and it works better.

Andy C
04-06-2007, 04:18 PM
I made the mistake of carving MDF. The machine handled it just fine, but the dust generated was unreal. The unit is mounted to a down draft table, but the dust caused a couple of probelms on the projects that followed. What I think I saw was an accelerated enviormental test. In other words you let the dust build up and this will eventually happen to you.

1. On the MDF project the cut out drifted off line on successive passes. This was caused by dust build up during carving causing a wedging between the board and pressure rollers. I now vacum the surface as carving progresses and it emergs from the machine.

2. Motion errror. Caused by dust build up on the pressure rollers. Cleaned them and the error went away. Did this mid project.

3. Tool holder sticking, won't take tool. Blow out with compressed air and oiled with 3&1 now okay.

4. Little plate that pops out and the bit touches during homing not poping out far enough. Machine thought there was no bit. Blew area out with compressed air now works fine.

Bottom line I now clean the unit in detail after each use and haven't had any more problems.

rjustice
04-06-2007, 05:04 PM
Andy, I experienced the same thing after running MDF.. You can make some really cool stuff very inexpensively with the material, but it really does make a mess inside the machine. I had the tool sensor stick on me as well. I also heard a "whining" sound when the machine was homing in the "Y" axis.. I believe it was from MDF dust packed up on the end of the guides... after cleaning everything up thoroughly it worked smoothe as silk again. One other thing i noticed was that the dust seems to have moisture in it. I think that it can cause corrosion on the guideds if not cleaned off right away..

Ron

Kenm810
04-06-2007, 06:32 PM
I’ve been using MDF for a few months now on about 90% of my practice runs, some taking hours to complete. It’s rather cheap and we use quite a bit of it around the shop anyway. The dust is very fine and if given a chance will stick to or get into about anything. I solved that problem by not letting it settle in side the machine. My machine is mounted on a down draft cabinet, I vent some of the filtered air back through the machine, that and a continuous jet of low pressure air (5 to 10 lbs.) at the carving head, Sweeps the carved area and the top of the stock being carved before the dust or chips have a chance to settle out of the air. That and a complete cleaning and brushing after every project helps keep me carving, I stopped using oil in side my machine because it attracts and holds dust and chips that can gum up the works. There are other products I’ve found on this forum listed under (lubes) that repel moisture and don’t attract dust. Not that I haven’t had my problems with the machine, but with little patience and the help of the folks on this forum. It just keeps Carving.

rjustice
04-06-2007, 07:51 PM
Ken,
I have read the posts on the dust collectors, and definately have to get something like this going. I really like your design. Yours was the one using a furnace fan i think right? Is it still working well for you? anything you would do differently now? and lastly, does it completely service the machine, or do you have to get after it with a shopvac or something like that.

I dont want anyone to misunderstand and think that i am discouraging the use of MDF... just need to be aware of needing to maintain cleaning it up afterwards.

Thanks for your input i really appreciate the "nudge" to get something built to make the cleanup easier :D

Ron

Kenm810
04-06-2007, 10:08 PM
I don’t use a shop vac any where near my machine; I’ve seen and read too many posts about static electric damage to the machines sensors and circuit boards to take a chance on that. Nor do I need one for cleaning my machine. The air moving through the carver both draws and pushes the dust and chips out the bottom and rear of the machine. The top of the down draft cabinet is tempered ¼” peg board. That way, any dust exiting the machine in any direction is pulled down through the top and through the filters. The furnace blower is designed to last for years, is quieter then the carver, and is build to run self cooled all day if necessary. The blower has a three position switch and produces air speeds of 400, 600, or 800 cfm which replace all the air in the machine several times a minute as needed. I do use compressed air (not high presser) brushes and a small hand vac with static free 1”dia. hose to reach into the nooks and crannies inside the machine. Plus I clean the machine, check the filters, and sensors after every project. The whole system is static isolated and grounded, portable and can be moved and used any where in or out of the building.

PS. By the way I also think MDF is only surpassed by corian for the amount of fine dust it can produce. They both can get into anything.

rjp736
04-06-2007, 10:46 PM
How do you static ground it?

Kenm810
04-07-2007, 10:37 AM
Sorry Robbie, I must of been thinking faster then I was typing. What I meant to say was (the whole system is static isolated and grounded.) Meaning the carver, blower, and filter cabinet are electrically grounded, and the only piece of PVC plastic tubing that dust and chips are drawn through that a static charge could develop is attached but insulated from the machines rear facing blower. I believe I have mentioned this else where in the Forum, you should try to dissipate or discharge a static charge safety to ground or a static dissipating device, And hopefully not your memory card or one of the machines sensors. Again sorry if I confused or mislead you.

Thanks for bringing the error to my attention