PDA

View Full Version : Replacement bit question?

ganm
04-05-2007, 08:10 PM
Introduction ...
I've been experimenting with the machine for a few weeks now ... trying different woods (and a few plastics), different images, shapes, lines, holes ... using the 1/16" and 1/8" bits provided with the machine ... [I've placed an order for other bits, hope the backlog get taken care of soon.]

Working on dovetails ...
I started designing my first multi-piece project (a small chest, that might be a bread box) when I realized that I'd really like to use a dovetail method to join the boards together ... (checked the forum for a "complete" example to start from) ... after trying the designer, and custom graphics ... I believe that I've come up with a potential solution ... so off to the machine with two newly uploaded projects and a clean piece of oak

Machine stuck in 'fully' raised mode ...
I've been away from the machine for a few day and left the machine wound completely open after using the shop vac to clean it out. Well, when I tried to turn it down to lock on the wood, all I got was the clicking sound from handle ... (I must have wound it too high during the cleaning) ... After exploring the machine (and pushing and cranking), I discovered that the thread on the side of the machine opposite the handle had a 1/4" hole in it. I inserted a punch into the hole and twisted the thread to start lowering the machine ... after helping it for a few turns, the crank was again able to raise and lower the machine ... so off to making my first dovetail cut

Broken 1/8 cutting bit ...
My first project attempt only cut about half the depth of the wood. The wood was 1/2" thick, and the projects board was set to 1/2" with the depth of the carving set to 1/2" ... but the machine didn't go to cut down to 1/2" ... so I modified the project to cut to the depth of 1" and tried again at the same end of the board (re-cutting over the previous attemp) ... the bit cut deeper then the first time (but luckly not making any contact with the machine) ... I modified the project to cut to the depth of 3/4" and tried again ... After cross cutting the board 3/4" shorter and going back to update the project to take account for the shorter board (I didn't want to take any changes with scaling) ... I started the project again, the machine start the cutting process at the end of the board: lower the bit - move to the side - raise the bit - lower the bit - move back to the otherside - raise the bit ... after three of these passes the bit snapped off and fell into the machine

Tip lost in machine ...
I stopped the machine and looked for the broken tip of the bit. It didn't fall through the bottom, and I tipped the machine in every direction, but it didn't come out (I intend to remove the bottom cover and make sure the broken bit is not inside) ... I removed the 1/8" quick adapter and put the 1/16" carving bit into the machine then continued cutting with it ...

Bosch bit?
I've checked the local stores for anything close to the 1/8 cutting bit, without any luck. Any suggestions on using or not using a 1/4" x 1" Upspiral Straight Bit:
- 1/4 "
- 1 " cutting area
- 2-1/2" total length

I would like to get back to my experimenting with dovetails, if you know of any reason not to attempt using the 1/4" bit - please let me know soon...

Thanks!

meat
04-05-2007, 09:26 PM
[I've placed an order for other bits, hope the backlog get taken care of soon.]

I've checked the local stores for anything close to the 1/8 cutting bit, without any luck.

Sears carries the bits. They've bumped the price from $29 to $39 online, but in the stores they're supposed to be $29 still.

I ordered bits from CarveWright and Sears at about the same time ... oddly enough, the CW bits got here before the Sears bits did. :eek:

Your pal,
Meat.

ganm
04-05-2007, 09:42 PM
Thanks for the info on the price differences ... I'll check with other Sears stores near by to see if they have the bit at $29

Bill
04-07-2007, 07:08 AM
Sears has the bits in stock and on sale for $28.49 http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&cat=Bench+Power+Tools&subcat=Jointers%2C+Planers+%26+Shapers&pid=00921754000

Semper Fi
04-07-2007, 09:40 AM
Thanks, Bill! I just ordered a set...... but the sale is over after today (04/07).

Ernie

Kenm810
04-07-2007, 12:03 PM
I picked up another pack of ¼ in. QuickRout Bit Adaptors 3 pc,
at the local Sears Store today while getting some sanding discs,
the adaptors were still on sale for $9.49.
I keep most of my bits in their own adaptor with loc-tite and ready to go.
It saves time and my fingers when switching bits around.:p