PDA

View Full Version : Halloween is around the corner

oscarl48
09-09-2022, 06:56 PM
What suggestions do you all have for some Halloween cnc patterns.

If I like one/them I will make them and share as grey scale height maps.

Oscar

want2b
09-11-2022, 05:06 PM
Maybe a couple of tombstones with Casper floating.
Some tombstones with some bats above a a scared cat in front.
A witch with broom in hand next to a cauldron.
Best my wife and I could come up with.
Rick

oscarl48
09-12-2022, 07:33 AM
They are on the list. Tell your wife thanks for helping.

want2b
09-12-2022, 03:54 PM
She just added a skeleton leaning on a tombstone with one hand and Casper leaning out of the attic window of an old house smiling, maybe waving.
Creating a monster.

oscarl48
09-13-2022, 10:32 AM
Nice. lol

Got the suggestions down on the list. Time to start modeling and see what comes out.

Maybe a couple of tombstones with ghost floating.
Some tombstones with some bats above a scared cat in front.
A witch with broom in hand next to a cauldron.
Skeleton leaning on a tombstone with one hand
Ghost leaning out of the attic window of an old house smiling
Nasty witch
Halloween pumpkin

Mugsowner
09-13-2022, 08:52 PM
I like look of your pumpkin. I could easily see a back lit cutout

oscarl48
09-14-2022, 07:15 PM
Scary eeeviiil Halloween pumpkin for your carving pleasure.

oscarl48
09-15-2022, 11:19 AM
ghost over tombstone.

oscarl48
09-15-2022, 07:55 PM
working on the bat model.

Mugsowner
09-16-2022, 05:36 AM
Sweet, that is a very nice image of a bat, has a Halloween look

oscarl48
09-16-2022, 02:55 PM
bats around tombstone scene.

want2b
09-17-2022, 06:00 AM
Really looking good! The pumpkin is a nice addition to last years, like Mugsowners idea of the backlit. Ghost should be a cool one. The moon in the background makes the bats scene. Can't wait to see what you'll do with the others on your list. Guess I better get carving if I'm going to gave time to paint anything.
Rick

oscarl48
09-17-2022, 02:18 PM
This one gave me a ton of trouble to convert to a bas relief and then to a height map. Had to use multiple programs to finally get something decent. Blender for the model. Zbrush for the bas relief (obj file). Blender for the stl model. STL2png app to convert to height map.

I have not had a chance to run and get some poplar so I have not test carved any of the patterns. Let me know how it goes if you get to it first.

want2b
09-17-2022, 04:06 PM
will do, and this one really says Halloween. Will probably be the first.
Thx, Rick

want2b
09-19-2022, 11:31 AM
Managed to get the evil witch carved in pine, the grain does show more than poplar but paint hides a lot. The face of the witch and the frog have very little detail carved on normal(1 hr).
I think with painting that won't be much of an issue. Hope to get started on it soon., will post when done.
Thx, Rick

want2b
09-21-2022, 04:44 PM
Oscar,
Have all 4 carved and have starting some painting. Noticed one item, not sure if you meant it to be that way but the top and bottom of the staff the witch is holding are out of line with each other. Watching the tv tonight and they happened to be talking about the Salem witch trials. It gave me an idea, the tombstone beside the witch is plain and maybe you might put Salem on one line and 1692 which is when most of the trials occurred on a second on the tombstone. Probably overthinking it and most of the world wouldn't relate to it.
Thx, Rick

oscarl48
09-21-2022, 09:16 PM
The staff is connected but its a perspective thing and the cauldron blocking the staff length. It was meant to be like a twisted root thing.

The writing on the tombstone is a great idea. I'll work on it tomorrow. The STL from the blender file is too large so couldn't use CW designer so had to go with Zbrush for the bas relief.

This is what the 3d model looks like from a different angle.

want2b
09-22-2022, 05:35 AM
Wow, hard to believe the detail, can see the twisted staff and also gives me a better perspective of flames and branches.
Thx

Mugsowner
09-22-2022, 08:23 AM
Now that looks really sharp. Have to agree with want2be. A little change on angle of view and items just pop to life.

oscarl48
09-22-2022, 10:01 AM
The detail is coming from not being squished. lol

That was the 3d model before I try to get a bas relief from it. It is 4" x 5" x 5". I try to convert it to .25" x 5" x 5". I lose a lot of detail in the process. It takes skill to get the most detail you can get. Honestly, I am not all that skillful. You can model the detail back in but that can take a bit of time and effort.

I am working an animation project for my wife's Twitch channel (unicorn throwing up) but I'll see what I can do this afternoon with it.

This is the first pattern as its looks like a 3d model. As is, its 5 inches deep as mentioned above.

oscarl48
09-22-2022, 05:24 PM
Re-did the pattern with the text. I tried to get more detail on the pattern but not sure how much I succeeded. Slightly different angle so the staff only show on the top.

want2b
09-23-2022, 05:29 AM
Don't know how the carve will turn out but definitely more detail on the face and the addition on the tombstone makes it look better. Think I'm going to go up a level on the carve quality also to try and keep your improvements. Thanks again, really appreciate all your work. Hope your printer output is going as well as this.
Rick

oscarl48
09-23-2022, 09:49 AM
I have too many hobbies. Feels like I haven't done any actual cnc carving in a while.

Finished 3 more mallets for gifts but I still need to make 4 more. I still have to make my chess board for the custom chess set I printed. Bought a sous vide circulator so been experimenting with every protein I have. Also been doing a animation clips for my wife. I have 4 flute blanks that have been sitting out in the garage for months. Still playing with the 3d printer but not going 24/7 like at the beginning.

I did print out the pumpkin. :)

want2b
09-23-2022, 04:08 PM
That is really cool, first thing I've ever seen that I knew was printed. Didn't realize that it would involve cleanup just like the cnc projects. but being in 3d definitely puts it on a deferent level
Thx for sharing it.
Rick H

oscarl48
09-23-2022, 06:24 PM
There are similarities to the CW.

You can print with thinner filament layer and slower speed that makes a smoother finished print or you can go with a medium filament layer and faster speed for a coarser but much faster print.

My cheap printer is anything but fast but pretty happy with it.

want2b
09-25-2022, 05:57 AM
Ran the new witch and the improvement in the detail is very obvious Carved on Best and used a 1/32 bit, 1:50 time. Also like the different angle you picked and it is going to be a little easier to paint with the tombstone separated that little bit more from the cauldron. Got into some painting yesterday and will post pics soon.
Thx, Rick H

oscarl48
09-25-2022, 09:32 AM
Rick,

Thanks for testing the patterns. The temp should drop this week and hopefully I will start test carving the patterns as well.

want2b
09-26-2022, 04:30 PM
Managed to get these finished, am working on the newer version of the witch. They have become popular with the family.

oscarl48
09-26-2022, 05:10 PM
I had to chuckle a little bit. The blood on the pumpkin teeth. They look great. They really pop.

lol. Pumpkin still chomping on trick or treaters.

Mugsowner
09-27-2022, 06:15 AM
Looking sharp Rick. Great job on the painting. The blood on the teeth is great. i agree with Oscar, makes it pop.

want2b
09-27-2022, 11:20 AM
Thanks guys, am slowly getting a little better on the painting. Figuring out what is the best sequence to paint has helped a lot. Saves having to go back and touch up a lot. Also gave up the cheap brushes that came with the grandkids water colors.
Rick H

want2b
09-28-2022, 05:54 AM
Here's my take on the new improved version of the evil witch thanks to Oscar's work

oscarl48
09-28-2022, 10:18 AM
Very cool! I am jealous of your painting skills. I can paint a barn...maybe. Not sure if they would let me get near the brushes.

want2b
09-28-2022, 04:06 PM
I've got a feeling that your painting is only lacking due to your interests. Willing to bet it would be awesome with time devoted. We've seen what your 3d skills have done with the focus you've put in it. I'm sure your wife is enjoying your creations in the different arenas you provide them in. I know I enjoy and appreciate them.
Thx, Rick H

Mugsowner
09-28-2022, 07:43 PM
The painting thing is not my strong suit. brushes, you have to get nice brushes, which can be hard to come by. I try to purchase hair, but hard to find brushes that hold up with out losing hair. Then there is the sight thing, I still got a good enough memory to remember when I could still see what I was painting. Oscar with all your skills something has to take the back seat, but thinking that you could still do fairly well. Nice job Rick.

oscarl48
09-30-2022, 11:55 AM
Starting on the last one in the series. Skull on grave.

want2b
09-30-2022, 04:39 PM
Have a feeling the skull will be the hard part. Thx for the insight into the process.

oscarl48
09-30-2022, 07:33 PM
Think I may be getting faster. Finished the model in about 45 minutes but ran out of my creative drive. Instead popped open a beer and made a pizza from scratch instead.

I am still playing with the camera angle and perspective. I'll post the height map tomorrow.

The pattern will not have anything on the tombstone so you can add whatever you'all want.

oscarl48
10-01-2022, 10:20 AM
Couldn't decide which one was better so including both of my efforts. Very similar but with subtle differences.

want2b
10-01-2022, 04:32 PM
Like both, as you say subtle differences. Leaning to the one on the left, will decide after it carves.

oscarl48
10-01-2022, 07:17 PM
Thank you for essentially test carving them for me. I have been so lazy I still haven't made to a big box store for the lumber.

want2b
10-02-2022, 06:22 AM
Absolutely my pleasure, enjoy the results and the ladies in the family love them too. I got lucky a while back and got a deal on 1x12 clear pine when a lumber yard went out of business. You had to take the entire pile so I ended up with about 400 bd ft. for $375. Used 100 ft in my daughter-in-laws beauty salon so I am slowly working my way thru it.

want2b
10-11-2022, 04:57 PM
Got in a hurry on the first one to see how it looked, added to the original, like it better with something on the stone. Now I've got to find a name that fits the season better.
Rick H

oscarl48
10-12-2022, 11:01 AM
Super cool. Great painting skills. Waiting to see what you come up with.