PDA

View Full Version : What pattern would you like me to share

oscarl48
06-22-2022, 02:17 AM
Hey all,

I just bought a 3d printer and I have been going plain hog wild with it (it's been running 24/7 for the last three days) and it feels like I am neglecting my cnc roots.

So I am putting out a request for suggestions for a pattern I can make and share with the community. I am not placing any limitations on it this time. I am going to put this poll on all the sites I am a member of and if there are more than one suggestion I will pick the one I like the most.

The pattern I make will be shared as a grey scale height map image and also test carved to ensure no issues.

Suggestion deadline Fri 24 Jun 22 2400 CST

Regards,
OG

Mugsowner
06-24-2022, 07:43 AM
I have to construct a new aquarium light for my wife's tank. i am putting together a surround that will hold the light and tall enough to vent the heat from said light. I could use some tropical fish carving to really bring the surround to life. Not sure if this is what you were looking for. congrats on the 3d printer purchase. I sure you will bring out the best of this printer.

oscarl48
06-24-2022, 03:06 PM
Nope, that is perfect.

I've had the printer for a week and its been running 24/7 making little figures for my wife. I've made a few leather stamps for myself as experiments to see how they workout. Probably not surprising but 90% of cnc pattern making translates to 3d printing.

want2b
06-24-2022, 04:54 PM
Glad to hear all your CNC abilities are a benefit with the 3d printer. Maybe watching it run will make you sleepy on those off nights. Know it's not carver but post a pic or 2 of your projects for us.
Rick H

oscarl48
06-24-2022, 07:32 PM
These are my latest prints. A dancing taco and a baby dragon. Also showing off the stamps. They worked great. Not rugged but probably good for a while since they are plastic and not bronze.

want2b
06-25-2022, 05:36 AM
That is so cool. I can see how the printer would be such a draw. You get to use your imagination in the conception, design it in the software, and then get to see the physical product in full 3D where it is only limited by your mind. It's obvious you are having a blast and will continue to do so. Have fun.
Rick H

Router-Jim
06-25-2022, 10:44 AM
Those prints are awesome. I think the possibilities are endless with your imagination and creativity. I could see you printing casting molds! ;)

oscarl48
06-25-2022, 11:50 AM
Thanks all. Casting molds are definitely possible to make but the layer lines may be an issue depending on what you want to make. Also I have an entry level printer so not fast. You get better speed with more expensive printers. I am printing at medium quality and the prints are taking around 12 hours. On fine the prints are over 24 hours. Another consideration.

And thanks for the pattern suggestion. I am going to try to unveil the winning pattern by next weekend.

oscarl48
06-27-2022, 11:34 PM
Here is preview of the model. I'll test carve tomorrow but I don't foresee any issue with the pattern.

Mugsowner
06-28-2022, 05:45 AM
Great looking Beta. You do awesome work.

Gary Koval
06-28-2022, 07:24 AM
I agree, you do some outstanding designs. As a recipient of one, I thank you again!
Gary

oscarl48
06-28-2022, 01:34 PM
Thanks guys. It was fun to make.

Test carve in poplar at .25 depth with medium draft, circle 6" for reference. Bit was a bit dull and zero sanding so a little fuzzy but overall happy with the pattern.

Hope you guys enjoy it.

Regards,
OG

Mugsowner
06-29-2022, 06:18 AM
Awesome, glad to here and see it carved well. I will be using this pattern in the new light design.

oscarl48
06-30-2022, 12:44 AM
Can't wait to see how it comes out for you.

Mugsowner
06-30-2022, 06:22 AM
I am waiting on a light bar to arrive, so I can get the measurement of the light bar. After which I will be able to get the board sizes I need for the build. then I will be able design the light holder that will sit down into the top of the hood where the original light sat. This weekend I have to go north to do some tornado clean up and will gather some cedar lumber for the build that I have stored up there. I will post the project, hopefully give your(Oscar) design a proper home for all to enjoy.

oscarl48
06-30-2022, 04:27 PM
On another site, someone gave the suggestion of making an eagle. I've been working on it the last few days. Wasn't sure how it would come out but finally have something to test carve.

oscarl48
06-30-2022, 06:37 PM
It carved okay. I ran out of poplar and only had a chunk of pine in the bin. I hate carving in pine but it worked for a test carve.

Grey scale height map below. Just import it as an image into Designer for any new folks.

Mugsowner
07-01-2022, 05:30 AM
Great eagle, reminds me of an old defiant poster I had when I was a bit younger. The poster had an eagle coming down on a mouse that was flipping the eagle off.

Mugsowner
07-01-2022, 05:39 AM
Wish you were closer to my area. I would set you up with poplar. I have hundreds laying on the ground after a tornado hit on 7-15-22. Last weekend moved about 500 trees off the roads of the property and I am heading up this weekend to open more roads.

oscarl48
07-01-2022, 07:32 AM
lol. dang it I wish I lived closer too for that much poplar.

want2b
07-01-2022, 04:37 PM
Love the eagle, will be using it. I know I would love to closer to Mugsowner for the poplar, guess I'd need a sawmill but that could be cheaper than years of buying wood.
Hope you both have a great 4th.
Rick H

oscarl48
07-01-2022, 09:55 PM
Same. Have a safe and fun 4th of Jul weekend.