PDA

View Full Version : The Howard Cosell of the woodshop

dukecreek
04-05-2007, 07:54 AM
Back in the 1970's, a poll was taken and sports fans were asked to name their favorite sports caster. Howard Cosell won by a landslide. Also, the same poll asked the sports fan to name their least liked sports caster. AGAIN, Howard Cosell won by a landslide. I am sure this is the way many Compucarve owners feel about their machine. Mine is being returned today for a complete overhaul. I have had it for a little over 2 weeks, The odometer shows 37 hours, 14 minutes. My odometer is pushing about twice that. WORK, WORK, WORK.

My first 5 projects turned out absolutely beautiful. Each was about
12" X 72". The 6th project stopped about 85% into the carving which ruined a $30.00 piece of red oak (nearly cut in half)

This brought me to about 30 hours of pleasure and no pain. THEN, UP POPPED THE DEVIL. Z axis stalls, back roller fault, Y axis stalls, LCD display blackouts...........my 8 year old son could make a better looking sign with his Boy Scout Hatchet. These errors were not because of poor maintenance. I cleaned the machine regularly during and after each operation. When I started each project, the machine was cleaner then my wifes sunday china. I thought I had it all squared away when it stripped a gear in the sandpaper belt drive. Replaced that and the errors started all over again.

I have nothing but praise for the support techs at Compucarve. They have been wonderful trying to solve the problems. They must feel like an Edsel salesman back in 1959.

Keep up the great support Compucarve. Today an "Edsel"
tomorrow a "Lincoln Towncar"

Mike
04-05-2007, 10:48 AM
Dukecreek speaking of Compucarve! LOL

ruggybear
04-05-2007, 02:49 PM
My machine went back this morning. Basically the same symptoms as above, except no gear stripped. 27 hours and some minues on the machine. I spoke with Omar about the six problems I had encountered and mentioned that I was within the 90 day return period to Sears. He said they would rather have my machine back to completely go over it and repair/replace everything that is needed including any updates that they have come up with after the original manufactuer date in China.

Omar that this is the best policy, as you have no idea when any machine in the Sears pipeline may have been manufactured.

Sounds like the correct policy to me. Hopefully everything will be fixed correctly and that normal maintenace and correct useage will allow for a long period of carving.