PDA

View Full Version : List dots or bullet points?

spalted
03-14-2021, 01:34 PM
I just ran into and odd issue that I can't seem to find a way around.

I was trying to use list points or bullets as a number separator.
In the Centerline text tool it displays the way I intended it to, but on the board it gives me question marks instead of list dots.

And yes I am attempting to copying the style of CarvedArtStudio511, I really like their style.
This will be a sign for our new Granddaughter.

Anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks.

dickcash
03-14-2021, 03:13 PM
If you try a different letter font does it do the same thing?

spalted
03-14-2021, 03:32 PM
If you try a different letter font does it do the same thing?

I tried 3-4 different fonts and had the same result across all of those few.

DickB
03-14-2021, 06:08 PM
I don't have a "bullet" on my keyboard. How are you entering it?

spalted
03-14-2021, 06:21 PM
There is a keyboard shortcut, Alt +7 gives you one, •
Or on Windows 10 using the onscreen keyboard and scroll through the list of symbols and select it.

DickB
03-14-2021, 07:06 PM
It seems to be an issue with Designer Pro. It works for me in Designer Basic, but not Pro - I get the same result as you no matter the font.

As a workaround, you could break the date into 5 sections - month numerals, dot, day numerals, dot, year numerals. Select your desired font for each of the numeral pairs. Use the 'dot' in the Wingdings font for the 'bullets'. Make sense?

spalted
03-15-2021, 04:09 AM
Yes! That does make sense, I never use Wingdings so I didn't even think about it.

I'll try that and see what happens, but I sure think that should work.

Thank you very much!

Digitalwoodshop
03-15-2021, 11:54 PM
Interesting problem..... Also you could spell out the month and a number for the date.

lynnfrwd
03-16-2021, 10:57 AM
Alt+0183 will give you a bullet point.

spalted
03-18-2021, 04:30 AM
Interesting problem..... Also you could spell out the month and a number for the date.

I've tried a few different variations, but of course I have that bullet point thing stuck in my thick skull now!

Alt+0183 will give you a bullet point.

That's the alt code I used when I made the screen shot.
It looks perfect in the Text Tool preview window, but displays question marks on the board.

I still need to try Dick's Wingdings idea, it would only take me 2 minutes to try it, this week as been a whirlwind because I resigned at my current job, so I've be preoccupied with other things.

Thanks everyone!

I'm sure I'll have Designer open in the next few days, I'll post what I find.

mtylerfl
03-18-2021, 08:18 AM
I’ve always used Alt+0149 to make bullet points

lynnfrwd
03-18-2021, 12:00 PM
I’ve always used Alt+0149 to make bullet points

Yes, that one is better than the one I suggested.

spalted
03-19-2021, 11:53 AM
I didn't realize there were so many bullet point alt codes, I tried all of them in this thread, and get a question mark every time.

I ended up using Dick's suggestion, one test box for the numerals and then a second one using a bullet point from wingdings.
It's a pain to position and space everything out right, but it works.

I'm just waiting now for the baby to be born so I know the right date, I tried to talk her into a C-section so I could finish up the sign right away, but I wasn't convincing enough, apparently.:D

Thanks for all your help!

When she finally gets around to having the baby, and I get to finish the sign I'll post some photos.

lynnfrwd
03-19-2021, 12:20 PM
It's that particular font that doesn't support the symbol.